Ditching my RTT; Need ideas on Camp Set-ups - Post Pics!

homeguy

Observer
Ive got an OzTent RV3 and I love it. I got a cot for it. It fits inside my Jeep and it’s the easiest tent to set up.
88cde96badfd56e7d20f50c9b7f1a567.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

enzo

Explorer
I’ve owned 5 RTTs over the course of 7 years. I’m back to a ground tent and couldn’t be happier.

Im currently rocking a North Face Bastion 4 mountaineering tent. I also have a North Face Talus 3 which sets up extremely fast but it’s only a 3 season tent.

Patrollife

Explorer
Thanks all for responding. I will respond individually to the recommendations posted when I’m on my laptop (responding from my cell right now). You took the time to post so it’s only good etiquete for me to reply.

Real quick, I emailed these guys from Australia: Crashpad. I follow them on IG and they have some great gear. The double swag is what caught my eye.

https://crashpadgear.com/

In other news, I sold my RTT today and so the pressure is on to find a replacement set up. Pic of new owner below.

a10d0941cadd095844b7cafde0933da5.jpg
6f71a8b30c9a2a2dc2323334e07ec78f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrollife

Explorer
Sorry I can't help you with pics, but I recently posted a thread asking for springbar tents set up and got a few responses. Here's that thread:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/189823-Show-me-Springbar-Tent-pron!

I also have researched the two tents you're looking at in depth! I went to Denver Tent Co, they're about 2 miles away from our Bass Pro in Denver. Here's what I can tell you about Denver Tent Co.

They really are a tent factory with real people making them right here in Denver, but they don't have much to offer. The wall tents are top quality, but the only tent that really fits with car camping (on or off-road) is their bell tent:
https://denvertent.com/product/maroon-bell-tent/

This tent requires a tennis courts worth of area to set up because of the guylines. The super nice lady (who's lunch I rudely interrupted) did show me how a previous customer cut a bunch of poles that fit under each guyline so that they could be angled down at a sharper angle, though. Also, they nickel and dime you with all the little things as you try to add any options like windows and a floor and such. Their "range tent" or "Cowboy Teepee", they didn't have on display. I did some mock-ups at home to see what kind of space it would really have and decided that even with a 12'x12' base, the angled walls made the daytime usable space lacking.

Kodiak is my fallback. I've looked at 4 in real life and I'm surprised at how poorly they hold up. Even so, I may end up with one. In two weeks I'm taking a little trip over to Salt Lake City to check out Springbar tents in person (nobody I know has one, and nobody has listed one for sale anywhere near Denver since at least Christmas).

My contention with the Springbars is that they don't make the one I like in the US anymore. The one with the features I want is made in China (the Highline 6). If I look at the three that I'm eyeballing, and decide they aren't worth the price, I will get a Kodiak 10x10 Deluxe. Since Kodiak is also based in the Salt Lake City area, and they are ridiculously cheap if you pick up locally (the 10x10 Deluxe is under $400 if you pick it up in SLC), if I have to compromise on what I want, I might as well do it at a significant discount.

There is still one thing that makes the Springbars better than the Kodiaks though, and that's that they have a rope sewn into the perimeter of the base, and the stake loops are steel hardware bent around that rope. While that is definitely superior, I don't know that it is worth 70% more money comparing similar optioned and sized Chinese canvas tents.:smilies27

Thank you for responding with your experience and searches. I like both the Denver Tent and Springbar options. The design of them is great and they look like an excellent base camp tent option. My only resistance to them, as you've pointed out, is the size of them and the weight. If I'm not mistaken, each one would be around 70+ pounds.

I'd love to hear more about your searches, including if you end up going with the Kodiak.

Patrollife

Explorer
I use backpacking gear, because that is what I had before getting into vehicle based camping, and I've got a 2 door Wrangler which makes space a premium. My current set up is a REI Half Dome 2 Plus, a Thermarest NeoAir Trekker, and a North Face One Bag 5deg sleeping bag. I love the simplicity of it. I don't have a bulky roof rack and the nimble TJ plus backpacking tent lets me camp in more secluded areas.

I've been eyeing some backpacking tents as well. REI has 25% off clearance items right now and there are some great tent options available.

Patrollife

Explorer
Dumped my RTT also. I now use an Oztent RV5 for when the whole fam comes and I have 2 Oztent Bunkers for when it's just me +1. Easy, fast set up. I also splurged and bought Drifta's canvas replacement bags for the Bunkers.

The Oztent is definitely high on my want list!

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Dirtbagging

We did away with tents altogether. Made privacy curtains for the FJ60, fold down the back seat, roll out a couple of chaise lounge cushions and rack out. If we need some shade a tarp is tied to the roof rack.

IMG_1639_RS.jpg

010_RS.jpg

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
When I run for a distance and camp over night intending to get back on the road again the next day (by myself or with one other) I use a 9'x9'x6' dome tent because it sets up and breaks down relatively quickly & easily (sorry no pics but the tent is made by eureka).
When base camping I use a folding canopy to hold a 10'x10' (really 9'x9' inside) "Standing Room" brand tent; Its more work to setup and break down but it is more substantial than the dome.
Camp LD 2017DSCF0282.jpg
When I base camp with more than one other person or longer than a week I spend the time to set up the 12'x12' Cabela's Alaknak...
cabelas alaknak.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Happy Joe makes a good point about base camping vs moving each day. I think if you are going to base camp then one of the Oz or Springbar are probably great, but if you are miving each day, then I would think more in line of a lighter weight dome tent.

I used a cheap Coleman from Costco for many years, it set up in a couple minutes and worked great, but never got into any really nasty weather. Last year I bought a Big Agnes Flying Diamond 4. It has very good ratings for weather durability, though it is officially a 3 season tent. The one thing I liked about the coleman tent was that no guy lines were really needed for the rain fly, if weather wasn't bad you can set it up without any stakes. That makes for a very quick set up. The Big Agnes needs a few stakes to get it set up right with the vestibule. Though I like the Big Agnes, I am looking to maybe buy another Coleman that is very easy to set up for trips when no rain is expected.

I have heard very good things about the Cabelas tents. If you watch SVM Giftcards on ebay, they regularly sell Cabelas gift cards at a 20% discount. Cabelas has a lifetime warranty on their stuff as well. With the 20% off it makes a for a good deal.

If you do opt for a dome tent, stay away from tents where you have to thread the poles through a sleeve on the tent fabric. The clips are much quicker and easier.

Patrollife

Explorer
Check out https://www.snowtrekkertents.com/

I have a 10X13 Expedition Basecamp that weighs between 25-30lbs. I can set it up by myself in less than 30 minutes. Big enough to have 6 people over for dinner sitting in chairs like grown-ups! A woodstove serves as a cooking surface and will heat the tent to 70F+ when it is -30F outside.

When shopping canvas tents, check out the weight of the canvas material. Snowtrekker uses 6oz canvas that is extremely lightweight and very waterproof. I think Dave Ellis Tents uses the same material.

A canvas tent with a heat source will dramatically expand your camping season. I have an Ursa Minor J30 on my JKUR that I use extensively during the summer. When November rolls around, I pull out my Snowtrekker and keep on camping.

20171119_153308-M.jpg

20161124_144926-M.jpg

Those tents sure look cool! Is the 30-minute setup on a good day? Seems like when it's really cold out you'd want something quick.

Patrollife

Explorer
I've been using a David Ellis Canvas Range Tent for several years..... easy to set up..... packs up relatively small for what it is..... works great in the wind, rain, and snow.
All it takes is a stake in each corner..... then raise the A-frame..... no guy ropes required.

https://elliscanvastents.com/collections/canvas-tents/products/the-range-tent

My trail buddy is looking at one of these. I think he's about ready to hit purchase on the cowboy range tent. He's been raving about them for a while. He's not on expo portal yet so I'll be sure to share your experience with him on these tents.

Patrollife

Explorer
I’ve owned 5 RTTs over the course of 7 years. I’m back to a ground tent and couldn’t be happier.

Im currently rocking a North Face Bastion 4 mountaineering tent. I also have a North Face Talus 3 which sets up extremely fast but it’s only a 3 season tent.

There comes a point where you just want easy access and comfort! I'll have to check out those tent ideas! Thanks for sharing.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Looks comfy and cozy! What do you for mosquitoes or other insects? Does the rear door stay open?

Thanks. I was surprised at how comfortable it is. I did not build a platform with drawers so as not to sacrifice headroom. Most gear is in watertight metal boxes and stored outside when sleeping.

The rear doors remain closed. This FJ60 has sliding rear windows in the cargo bay. I simply cut a piece of nylon window screen slightly larger than the window. The screen is placed on the outside and held in place on the bodywork with 1 inch wide flexible magnetic strips. The slider can be opened and closed from the inside. I've given a little thought to something nicer but this arrangement works and stows easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94