Ditch the 80 for a Power Wagon?

sjxj

Observer
I like the utility of a truck. I really don't need a 3/4 ton. A Tacoma is about all I need but when built they get the same mileage as my 80 or close to it.

If only you'd've kept that 1998 Tacoma you sold me a buncha years back, eh? Great truck, and I wish I still had it.

The_Dude

Adventurer
Hahaha!!! Yea except it would have a billion miles by now. When you coming to the western slope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjxj

Observer
As far as your direction, not ultra-soon, unfortunately. Bikepacking a big loop this coming week outta Buena Vista - hoping to get about 400 miles in, but we'll see. I finally bought a 2005 Tundra, so I'll have to look you up soon, Dude.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I think that's like saying all apples are red. It's a gross generalization.

Americans build one thing very well: full size trucks. You cannot compare a Dodge Ram with a Fiat. Even mid size trucks from American MFG's are riddled with problems from manufacturing and basic design flaws, so I don't even consider them to be in the same category as full size American trucks.

A few Dodge owners have chimed in on this and most of them have good things to say about their Dodge trucks (or Ram trucks as they now want to be called). I would tend to take the word of someone with particular experience rather than a gross generalization.

Exactly! I have owned 7 Dodge Rams from '94-'14, and 8 Land Cruisers from '74-'99. I would happily own all of them again. It's not about the generalized perception, it's about individual reality!

Blade76

kinda old thread, but I just sold my HZJ75 Land cruiser after 120'000km overlanding through the Americas. There was NOT one week where I was not under this car fixing stuff. The ones who know me can tell.
It had less than 200'000km when we left and sold it now with 300'000km. The only thing that didn't fail was the engine, although it had a head gasket oil leak since I bought it and still is leaking, but at least it never got worst (no, it wasn't the valve cover, it as 100% the head gasket)
There are enough fools here in Europe that will pay you gold for those cars so that's good for resale. But for me never a Toyota again. Not saying it was a terrible car, but Toyota also only cooks with water and is way overrated. Most (not all) Toyota overlanders I personally know also had major problems, especially the >2001 HZJ78 series where they brake transmissions and axles like other people change oil filters. I just noticed that most will never tell you except you really know them well or find out through other ways. And this for a 3rd world car that costs 60-70'000km and has zero comfort.
Empty those cars should be ok, but most 7series overlanders drive with 7700lbs and more and those cars (although Toyota says so!) are just not built for this type of use, even at 3tons my friend broke 2x his rear axle housing and 3 transmissions on a 100'000km HZJ78 in Afrika and Australia.
Oh and the HDJ80series I also saw a few ripping out the front axle strut bar bracket on the axle (not sure how you call it in english) or friend of mine failed his transfer. They seem to be better built, but it's not like they were rocket science. At least they have a good trans!

Anyway, I just bought a PW. I don't mind to work on the car and repair stuff and I am prepared for it. But it cost me 4x less than a 7series Toyota, has way more comfort, has 3x the power and should be able to hold the 7700lbs way better than the 7series Toyota. If you pay that much and everyone tells you a Toyota never fails and you have every 1000km a major failure then it's time for something new.

Anyway, this is my personal experience with the 7series in 3.5years overlanding off the regular roads.

my 2 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles