Ditch Lights - Show me what you got!

Hey guys, as the title says I'm looking for ideas and examples of ditch lights! I'm thinking of getting a set for my '05 Dakota but I haven't the foggiest idea on where I'd actually mount them. With how the hood opens, I'm not sure if there's room to mount them in the "normal" spot.

Cheers!

Scoutn79

Adventurer
What are ditch lights?
I googled the term but it seems they are a locomotive item and flash. What is the purpose on a light truck for expedition/off-road use?

Thanks

Darrell

Recommended books for Overlanding

Overlanding the Americas: La Lucha
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $20
Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term Wo...
by Rolf Potts
From $14.29
Sailing Alone Around the World: a Personal Account of the...
by Joshua Slocum
From $26
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Used to be called rock lights n the off road crowd. Under body lights that usually lit up the area areound your tires so you could keep an eye on tire placement while operating at night. I went in for that early on and those lights pretty much ended up rusting off unused because really, how many people go rock crawling at night? Most of them I've ever seen end up being almost all Show and almost never Go.

It's the lighting equivalent of hauling areound a hand full of gerry cans all the time. All about the look and not much about practical function.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
You know what, I confused the 2. Yeah, ditch lights, because 180 deg of light that shines for a half mile is oh so necessary for the average Joe. There, at least I correctly placed my snark that time. :)

javajoe79

Fabricator
It's the lighting equivalent of hauling areound a hand full of gerry cans all the time. All about the look and not much about practical function.
It's an ever growing list of trendy/cool things to hang on your truck that work awesome for impressing others. I am not a big fan at all of all these over lighted trucks and campsites. Like you said, not much travel happens at night where you actually need this kind of lighting. Even when you do, burning a huge hole in the night isn't necessary unless you're trying to bomb across the desert at 150mph or shred a rally stage somewhere.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I can see the need for rock lights (under truck type not roof mounted side facing lights) for certain people some of the time. Rockcrawling but not just driving down the trail at night.
I have ended up on some very technical trails for hours after dark where a set of these lights would have certainly been helpful. Sometimes you are forced to be in these situations because of breakdowns or rescues.
I suspect most people in an overlanding crowd have no need for them.
A good set of front flood lights and auxiliary reverse flood/work lights will have enough splash to allow you to get an idea of whats around you.
To each there own and if you need them get them.

Darrell

dorton

#rockcreekoverland

I wasn't sold on ditch lights until fairly recently. I have mine aimed so that they overlap the edge of the high beam
headlamp pattern. Driving around late at night, I can't count how many deer these have highlighted that would have
otherwise been missed(or hit). I'm sold on them.

The lights are KC Flex cubes in flood pattern, and do an awesome job.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I can see their use for avoiding animal strikes and nighttime mountain driving in the curves. To the OP, I often thought a rivnut under the side mirror would make for a good ditch light position.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I can see the need for rock lights (under truck type not roof mounted side facing lights) for certain people some of the time. Rockcrawling but not just driving down the trail at night.
I have ended up on some very technical trails for hours after dark where a set of these lights would have certainly been helpful. Sometimes you are forced to be in these situations because of breakdowns or rescues.
I suspect most people in an overlanding crowd have no need for them.
A good set of front flood lights and auxiliary reverse flood/work lights will have enough splash to allow you to get an idea of whats around you.
To each there own and if you need them get them.

Darrell
They are great for finding intersecting trails at night. That's why I have them on my truck. If your lights are in front only, you will never see anything off to the side. Especially if you are going fast.

IMAG0262.jpg

Last edited:

outofrshell

Adventurer
This idea came from owning a 2000 Trooper which had corner lights.These lights are very bright and are activated by micro switches in the steering column hub, L & R turn signal. These lights are available thru Amazon or brand names for 15 to 70 $ apiece Sorry for quality of picture

Try this. Buddy of mine added them to his LR4 with Rigid Dually Floods.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/201865317674

I personally have CBI ditch brackets w/ Rigid Dually Floods, but I'm not too sure if they make them for non Jeep/Toyotas.

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/
I was thinking of making some brackets as a mock up, but those look way better than anything I could come up with. If there was a way to do a quick disconnect on the wiring for the light itself, I could even take them off when I don't need them (driving around town, highway only road trips, etc.) Very interesting, thanks for showing those!

Recommended books for Overlanding

Into Africa
by Sam Manicom
From $25.52
Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die.: And other mor...
by Jared McCaffree, Jessica Mans, Kobus Mans
From $19.99
The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United Stat...
by TeriAnn Wakeman
From $64.95
Overland: A Mercedes-Benz Journey Through the Americas
by ri M. Stroh
From $20