Dishes!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Any one out there using Orikaso Folding products?

They seem Kind of Neat... Just stumbled across them (Slow at work today!)

PicnicUK.jpg

cupinstruct.jpg

dishinstruct.jpg

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Here's lunch time still-life, taken while exploring the Kootenay Mtns of British Columbia. Also a photo of the Idaho Pk Rd, and a view down on the mining ghost town of Sandon.

Attachments

• lunchstilllife.jpg
    lunchstilllife.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 98
  • idohopkrd.jpg
    idohopkrd.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 63
  • sandon.jpg
    sandon.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 85

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
So how do you rate the folding dishes?

How well do they hold up? It looked like the constant folding and unfolding might create wear issues, but for the price looks like a nice solution.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I would be more conserned about the plastic snaps failing before the laminate sheet. Great idea but I'm sticking with my GCI cookwear and Brunton Titanium spork LOL!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Plates? You don't need no stinkin' plates! Jut throw whatever you have into a tortilla...one less thing to clean up, leaving more time for margarita's. And more time for margarita's is a good thing!

(BTW, I'm only half joking here....tortilla's make great plates)

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I think they look kinda flimsy as plates for lap use, but other than that they look like a good idea.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Wil
I have a full set of the Orikaso's. The snaps are pretty heavy duty and the system works very well. You do need to be cautios of how much you fill them and where you set them. I mean they are not regular metal bowls and cups and do not have 100% rigidity.

They were designed for lightweight back packing and for that they are great.

For durability and wear with regular use I believe they will hold up very well. I made the mistake of taking one of the bowls to the dog park for Oliver to drink out of. One of the other dogs thought it looked like a chew toy and I spend 30 minutes chasing some dog around "Hey, bring back my bowl!!"

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
mcvickoffroad said:
For durability and wear with regular use I believe they will hold up very well. I made the mistake of taking one of the bowls to the dog park for Oliver to drink out of. One of the other dogs thought it looked like a chew toy and I spend 30 minutes chasing some dog around "Hey, bring back my bowl!!"

I had the same problem with one of those "soft" dog bowls. By the time I got it out of the "pit bulls" mouth, it was no longer able to hold water!

BMAN

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
So how do you rate the folding dishes?

How well do they hold up? It looked like the constant folding and unfolding might create wear issues, but for the price looks like a nice solution.

Quoted from the FAQ:

Q. Are the products durable?

A. The products are manufactured from Polypropylene, a polymer with special properties. Polypropylene is practically the only plastic that can be folded without breakage, in fact the more you fold it the more durable it becomes along the hinge. Products are practically unbreakable (by practically I mean if you were to stick them in a food blender, or on a fire they will cease to work, but in daily normal use you shouldn't experience any problems).

paulj

Expedition Leader
I only have one plate, and keep it in the snack bag. We mainly use it as cutting board and serving plate at lunch. I rarely snap the corners to turn it into a deeper bowl. I keep a set of GSI plastic bowls and plates in the main kitchen box for cooked meals.

paulj

paulj

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Paul, that last image is stunning! You have driven some incredible roads :bowdown:

The 'blue plate' picture was taken in the clearing at the bottom of the valley. There's a narrow 12 km road winding up the mountain to the top of Idaho peak. Supposedly from the top there are even better views. To the west there is a large lake, Slocan Lake, and the Valhalla Provincial Park. However in early June we hit snow 8km up the road, so we didn't get to the top. The road was not particularly rough, but was the most consistently narrow one that I've driven.

Town names in the area reflect the mining history - Silverton, New Denver.

paulj

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny, even with all this cool high tech stuff for the camp kitchen I still like to just go over to the Dollar Store where everything is $1!
You can find somd pretty durable lightweight kitchenware for a buck!;)

Wanderlusty

Explorer
mcvickoffroad said:
It's funny, even with all this cool high tech stuff for the camp kitchen I still like to just go over to the Dollar Store where everything is $1!
You can find somd pretty durable lightweight kitchenware for a buck!;)

I second that...all my dishes and cookware come from Wal Mart, and they all do pretty good job.

Suty

Adventurer
I have to agree with Goodtimes, if it can't be put on a tortilla it's probably not fit for human consumption anyways......Viva Totilla, Viva Margarita. Tu Compa, Suty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier