Discussion on the 2021 Isuzu/Chevy 6.6L Gas Cabover Platform

rruff

Explorer
I recently discussed a 16' x 8' x 8' box with a friend, built using XPS as a core and two layers of 6k carbon fiber/epoxy resin for skins. That box weighs well under 600 pounds, without windows or a door. Build cost (materials only) would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 grand USD.

XPS specs?
What is the weight of the carbon?

tkj23qe1387

It’s a bomber truck. We are finalizing the tank now.

Thanks everyone for the input. Looking forward to the latest CORE updates.

Very interested in a gas platform for various reasons. A heavy-duty (class 4 or 5) Isuzu COE could come in very handy as a highway-legal (lite) medium duty chassis in the US. I am surprised that it hasn't often been under the spotlight when discussing about US chassis options.

With that said, could anyone share/confirm the following specs?
  1. Is CORE basing the modification on NPR (class 3) or NPR-HD (class 4)? Based on EC's typical wet weight of 12,000 pounds, I am guessing you use class 4 to stay safe.
  2. What is the GVWR and payload capacity for single cab? Does the load capacity include the kinetic subframe? (information on your site seems outdated given Fuso's departure)
  3. What is the typical MPG with cargo/body loaded? This report suggests 12 MPG for the gas platform.
  4. What are the approach & departure angles? maximum climbing grade?
  5. Will your kinetic subframe work well with Bliss Mobil's 13ft unit? If not, can it be replaced by the subframe supplied by Bliss Mobil?
    1. 13ft seems like a good size for the 132 in wheelbase due to only ~3 in of cantilever weight in the back. 13 ft is important for me because the total vehicle length must stay under 6.0 meters, or else future trips to Tibet/China will become all but impossible.
    2. I talked to Bliss 200K for a box that is done and complete. 16ft sleeps 4, has proper bathroom etc. Not sure if the gasser NPR can handle that. Looked at an EC and can’t make that work. I reached out to Total Composites and will follow up there.. I wondered if GXV held the patent on lifting boxes since I never really see anyone in the US offer them. I see you around a lot @DzlToy so thought you might know what’s what.
      200K for a 16ft unit sounds like a steal indeed. What options did that include on top of the standard 16ft?
  6. Would CORE offer installation services for 3rd party bodies such as those from Bliss?

Thanks in advance for any help!

yabanja

Explorer

Very interested in a gas platform for various reasons. A heavy-duty (class 4 or 5) Isuzu COE could come in very handy as a highway-legal (lite) medium duty chassis in the US. I am surprised that it hasn't often been under the spotlight when discussing about US chassis options.

1. Is CORE basing the modification on NPR (class 3) or NPR-HD (class 4)? Based on EC's typical wet weight of 12,000 pounds, I am guessing you use class 4 to stay safe.
  2. What is the GVWR and payload capacity for single cab? Does the load capacity include the kinetic subframe? (information on your site seems outdated given Fuso's departure)
  3. What is the typical MPG with cargo/body loaded? This report suggests 12 MPG for the gas platform.
  5. Will your kinetic subframe work well with Bliss Mobil's 13ft unit? If not, can it be replaced by the subframe supplied by Bliss Mobil?
    1. 13ft seems like a good size for the 132 in wheelbase due to only ~3 in of cantilever weight in the back. 13 ft is important for me because the total vehicle length must stay under 6.0 meters, or else future trips to Tibet/China will become all but impossible.
    2. 200K for a 16ft unit sounds like a steal indeed. What options did that include on top of the standard 16ft?
  6. Would CORE offer installation services for 3rd party bodies such as those from Bliss?

These questions are best addressed directly to Earthcruiser. They are located in Bend Oregon and are happy to take your call.

Allan

gregmchugh

Observer
These questions are best addressed directly to Earthcruiser. They are located in Bend Oregon and are happy to take your call.

Allan

EC CORE has been providing responses on this thread and if they respond to these questions then everyone learns the answers.

2. 200K for a 16ft unit sounds like a steal indeed. What options did that include on top of the standard 16ft?

What great questions thank you. We are still building on both Isuzu and Fuso for our CORE chassis
We typically build on either the Isuzu class 3 or class 4 NPR with a GVWR of 12,000lb and 14,000 lb respectively
On the Fuso we build on the GVWR of 14,000lb
Load capacity is 6,600-6796lb class 3 and 8744-8941class 4
MPG is around 6-10 depending upon load and driving conditions with a box on the back I think 13 MPG is not realistic.
With both axles locked and in low range our core chassis will climb uncomfortable grades.
We are happy to work with you and your vehicle body manufacturer of choice.
Bliss makes a amazing box and would make a amazing truck.

carterd

I just noticed a press release from Isuzu North America from March '21 regarding significant enhancement to their 2022 Class 3-5 diesel models. The trucks will be labeled as 2022i (interim) and will be available in the third quarter of 2021. The enhancements include:
  • Electronic Vehicle Stability Control - standard feature
  • Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR), an advanced traction-control system - standard feature
  • Automatic Emergency Braking System (AEBS) includes both vehicle and pedestrian detection - optional feature
  • Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) - optional feature
  • Four-Wheel Disc Brakes: The NPR-HD will feature front and rear 293mm (11.5") discs, while the NPR-XD, NQR and NRR will offer 363mm (14.3") discs up front and 348mm (13.7") discs in the rear. Standard feature
  • Fuel Tank Improvements: stainless steel rather than conventional steel to improve corrosion resistance. Standard feature
  • Larger fuel sediment filter
  • Bi-LED headlamps, turn signals with a new shape and accent brow, standard matte silver grille, replacing the previous white grille. A chrome grille will remain an option.
  • Interior darker gray color schemes on the lower section coupled with darker accents including the steering wheel, gear shift lever, parking brake lever and other controls, while lighter gray components up above create a greater sense of spaciousness. Seating surfaces will now be covered in a gray and blue cross-pattern tricot fabric that adds a modern look and feel while reducing the appearance of stains and scuffs.
Full press release here: https://www.isuzucv.com/app/press/doc/7648

I can't imagine that most of these features wouldn't be made available soon to the gas models. Of course some of these are a moot point in a 4WD conversion where the axles are being swapped. This will bring these Isuzu trucks into the early 2000s as far as technology! I think they will still come with the 8-track cassette player, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles