Discussion on the 2021 Isuzu/Chevy 6.6L Gas Cabover Platform

carterd

With Fuso exiting the North American market and Hino recently announcing that production and sales in North American have been halted, it looks like the Isuzu/Chevy cabover platform is the only game in town. This is the direction EarthCruiser will be going with the EXP and FX. There are some pretty big changes for the 2021 model year, so I thought I’d summarize the major features of this platform and solicit feedback from the forum on what are the perceived strengths and weaknesses.

Production: The Isuzu and Chevy are made on the same line by Builtmore Contract Manufacturing, which is owned by the Shyft Group. This is the new name of what was formerly Spartan Motors. Manufacturing is in Charlotte, Michigan.

Engine: Out goes the 6.0 liter V8 gas engine based on an aged GM design and in comes the updated 6.6 liter GM V8 L8T. Cast-iron block, aluminum heads, variable valve timing, direct injection, and 10.8:1 compression ratio. This has a power output of 350 hp and 425 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,800 rpm. This is an improvement from the 297 hp and 372 lb-ft of torque from the 6.0 liter, and at a lower RPM.

Transmission: Out goes the Allison 1000 (correction, 4L80E) and in comes the GM 6L90, both of which are 6-speeds with double-overdrive. The 6L90 gets a 1st gear ratio of 4.03 vs. the Allison’s 3.1. The GM literature shows that this tranny can be manually shifted “like a clutchless manual gearbox” although I am not sure that capability will be enabled with the Chevy/Isuzu. I believe this tailhousing on this transmission is different than the tailhousing intended for 4x4 models.

Transfer Case: It’s okay to dream!

Axle ratios: 4.10 on standard models (Class 3) and 4.3 for the Heavy Duty models (Class 4)

Wheels: 16” x 6” on Class 3 and 19.5” x 6” on Class 4.

Brakes: Front disc (11.5”) and rear drum (12.6”). The Class 4 gets you 14.3” discs up front. Transmission mounted parking brake.

Fuel Capacity: 39 gallons, mounted between rear frame rails. No factory option for additional tank on the gas model like the diesel models.

Alternator: 145 amps

Payload regular cab: 6,885 pounds for 132.5” wheelbase Class 3, 9,082 pounds for Class 4.

Payload dual cab: 6,246 pounds for 176” wheelbase Class 3, 8,442 pounds for Class 4.

Interior: Paleozoic Era

Options: MobileEye collision/lane departure warning, touchscreen audio with backup camera, fire extinguisher and reflector with mounts, block heater, rear dome light and switch, high back driver seat, seat covers, keyless entry, chrome grille, heated and remote mirrors, backup alarm, wider mirror brackets, and roof air deflector

Pricing: I got a quote (no negotiation) for the base model Isuzu NPR-HD (Class 4) at $49,700 with $1,325 destination charges. Most of the options were reasonably priced except the 7” touchscreen stereo with backup camera at $1,464. MobileEye was $1,132.

I am amazed at how poor the Chevy and Isuzu websites are for these trucks. Outdated info and pictures, no ability to configure or price, etc. Ultimately the GM commercial vehicle website, with enough deep digging, had the full factory specs and option sheets. It took a week to get pricing. It should not be this hard.

Aside from the lack of 4-wheel drive and the substantial cost and effort to do a conversion, what are the thoughts on this platform? Also, what aftermarket support is available in North America? Parabolic springs, bull bars, and super singles seem to be available for the Fuso, but I don’t see much for Chevy/Isuzu.

1609303797825.png

Last edited:

boogie944

I am making one and planning to send the box to Canada in a container and fit it on a new class 4 NPR or class 5 NQR chassis with gas engine.

- One of my hesitations is the high cost of doing a simple conversion to 4x4 that I have seen so far
- The Earthcruiser conversion will end up almost doubling the cost of the chassis
- Agree with you the Isuzu/GM websites are very poor

Ultimark

I have an NPS 300 4x4 in Australia, single cabin as in your pictures, the reversing camera option is very overpriced here as well at about $1200 AUD, but does work quite well.

If you did go down the single cab route, as depicted in the pictures you've supplied, I would suggest you seriously consider getting suspension seats if they are not supplied, they make a world of a difference. The NPS 300 in Australia in the single cabin model comes with a mechanical suspension seat for the driver as standard, and a double bench seat for the passengers. We have two Stratos (made in Australia) mechanical suspension seats and have been able to legally maintain the centre third seat as a bench seat for the very few times we may have a guest passenger. The dual cab or crew cab model, does not have a driver suspension seat.

I feel for you as it appears that your options for this type of vehicle are being severely curtailed, to the point that they are virtually not available.

REF

So has this changeover to the Izuzu/Chevy from the Fuso/Chevy platform been confirmed by EC? I can’t seem to find any info about it.
I might have to subscribe to their newsletter, but wondering if they have to go back to the drawing board on the 4X4 system and conversion to SRW developed for the current Fuso.
Certainly the bump in HP would be a welcome incentive for anyone currently looking at the EC line to wait. Are there any differences in cab ergonomics? Is the Izuzu available in a quad cab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carterd

EarthCruiser announced this change in June. Here is press release: https://earthcruiser.com/earthcruiser-fuso-chassis/

The Fuso and Chevy/Isuzu cabovers are very similar. I suspect EC will stick with the divorced Hero transfer case and Dynatrac 80 axles. They will have to do some re-engineering on ABS, steering, springs, shocks, etc. to get the right level of integration. The 2021 Chevy/Isuzu is available in the quad cab.

Go to the Australia Isuzu website and see what we are missing out on in North America. So many more features, technology, and options.

REF

Thanks for the link, I actually just found it myself, if I had just done a search outside of the EC site first....
Although, the release says the powertrain remains the same, so does that mean we won’t be getting the 6.6 either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluvan

Hi thanks for the great summary. I have been talking with EC about their core platform for a couple months now. EC has confirmed the new 6.6 motor in their 2021 offerings. The early spec sheet also indicates a switch to an Atlas pro transfer case and Fusion 80 axles. I am anxious to see pics of the new Isuzu / Chevy EC conversion.

I was not familiar with the Fusion axle program but it seems to get high marks in the crawler community. It looks like they use the unit bearing approach which I personally prefer.

Finally, it does not appear factory pto is available from Chevy on the gas platform. I was thinking it could come in handy as offered with the Allison gearbox with the gas fuso.

We are currently working through box layout and total weight but getting real close to jumping into the new EC core program.

John here from EC and CORE. This is going to be a fantastic truck. We are building both the single and quad cab chassis. Fuso is a amazing platform but we are excited about the Chevy/Isuzu. The 6.6 motor provides plenty of power and torque to make this truck something special. I am happy to post our progress and to answer any questions.

boogie944

John here from EC and CORE. This is going to be a fantastic truck. We are building both the single and quad cab chassis. Fuso is a amazing platform but we are excited about the Chevy/Isuzu. The 6.6 motor provides plenty of power and torque to make this truck something special. I am happy to post our progress and to answer any questions.
Hi John,
Fantastic that EC are now including the Chevy/Isuzu in your CORE program. I am interested in that, but really only need a simple (lower budget) conversion. Something that would get me something like a stock NPS 75-155 in Australia (Isuzu brochure attached). I am sure your CORE specifications are far superior, but for my style of travelling I really do not need the high end offroading capabilities. Would EC be able to do that in the US?

Attachments

• NPS 75_45-155 CREW - ARK1233_v02.pdf
    460.8 KB · Views: 51

carterd

John thanks for chiming in. A few questions for you:

- Will CORE be offering this under the Chevy or Isuzu brand?
- Ignoring the drivetrain, when switching from the Fuso to Chevy/Isuzu platform are there any significant differences that makes the conversion easier/harder or better/worse? The platforms appear very similar in specs.
- Are you able to return the factory wheels and axles to the manufacturer or a parts distributor? That is some expense scrap otherwise.
- Any comments on the switch from the HERO to Atlas transfer case and from Dynatrac to Fusion axles? Will the transfer case continue to be divorced?

I too am glad CORE is offering the Chevy/Isuzu. I understand the high level of componentry, integration, R&D, and a well-deserved profit margin run the cost up to >$100K, but it would be great to have bare bones option.

John thanks for chiming in. A few questions for you:

- Will CORE be offering this under the Chevy or Isuzu brand?
- Ignoring the drivetrain, when switching from the Fuso to Chevy/Isuzu platform are there any significant differences that makes the conversion easier/harder or better/worse? The platforms appear very similar in specs.
- Are you able to return the factory wheels and axles to the manufacturer or a parts distributor? That is some expense scrap otherwise.
- Any comments on the switch from the HERO to Atlas transfer case and from Dynatrac to Fusion axles? Will the transfer case continue to be divorced?

I too am glad CORE is offering the Chevy/Isuzu. I understand the high level of componentry, integration, R&D, and a well-deserved profit margin run the cost up to >$100K, but it would be great to have bare bones option.
Carterd,
We will be offering this as a CORE Chassis with a under badge of Isuzu/Chevy.
Making the change to convert a Chevy/Isuzu is a different animal . While they are both cab over and have similar looks they are very different. Both are fantastic platforms and have similar build characteristics but are different vehicles coming from differing manufacturers. As with our Chassis for the EC we want to make sure that this platform is best in class tested and will stand the test of time and use.
Both the Hero and Atlas transfer cases are awesome. The case will remain divorced as it simple works better for the vehicle layout. The switch on components is going from great to great. Both Fusion and dynatrac are stories and have great history and followings. We want to make sure we continue to supply a best in class capable chassis with solid proven components.
When you say bare bones options what are you looking for? Being a custom shop we are happy to have conversations about your needs and wants.

John

carterd

John can you describe what is included in the "base" model currently listed at the EC website for around $105K? I think we understand the drivetrain mods. Does this include any of the cab interior upgrades, winch, center console, bull bar, 60 gallon tank, skid plate, etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne