Discovery Sport vs. Grand Cherokee Overland vs. 4Runner TRD

Dalko43

Explorer
In summary, the technology equivalent of my 70's Scout.

As for vehicle choice consider towing, snow/ice, 4WD trails and a platform to modify. Why immediately limit your capabilities?

I think you might be selling the 5th gen 4Runner a little short there. The 4Runner's part time 4WD is perhaps not as convenient as AWD or a full-time 4WD with a torsen center diff, but it is robust and reliable. Quite honestly, if the pavement is dry, then there is no need for 4WD anyways....my 2 cents.

As for a platform for modifications, the 4Runner is well known for that, and among the 3 options that the OP presented, it is definitely the least expensive for suspension/lift mods.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I think you might be selling the 5th gen 4Runner a little short there. The 4Runner's part time 4WD is perhaps not as convenient as AWD or a full-time 4WD with a torsen center diff, but it is robust and reliable. Quite honestly, if the pavement is dry, then there is no need for 4WD anyways....my 2 cents.

As for a platform for modifications, the 4Runner is well known for that, and among the 3 options that the OP presented, it is definitely the least expensive for suspension/lift mods.

X2. If it's a dry road you do not need and or 4wd. If it's ice slushy or snowy covered road, pop it into 4hi. Simple as that.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Navman

Adventurer
haha, the only first year car I ever bought has also been my most reliable - by far. And my Land Rover LR3 has been my second most reliable.

Weird.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Part-time 4WD is reliable. My Scout never had driveline issues, other than the front hubs. Full time 4WD with center diff does have advantages over part-time, no center diff, when is comes to tread lightly and highly variable driving conditions. Comparing a Scout II at ~4500lbs / 100" wheelbase to a Discovery I at ~4500lbs / 100" wheelbase the Discovery behaved better in variable driving conditions of dry/snow packed/icy roads. Likely not having the front and rear drive shafts locked together (PT4WD) was a factor. Son who has driven both a RRC (viscous full time 4WD) and Scout II (part time 4WD) said the RRC was much better overall in all road conditions.

It comes down to "you get what you pay for".

mpinco

Expedition Leader
And I agree the Discovery Sport is targeted at the Subaru Forester market segment. If they sell even a fraction of the number of Subaru's in Colorado the Discovery Sport will be a roaring success. Thinking every garage has a Subaru.

TheViking

Adventurer
I would pick the Toyota 4Runner, cheaper, easily out lasts nearly everything on the road, great aftermarket parts and support.

UMKP

I can't advise on what vehicle, other than to say from my personal experience stay away from the Jeep GC. I just got rid of a 2011 Overland Hemi after $8,000 in repairs and 115,000 highway miles. Full synthetic oil every 5,000 miles and well maintained. Replaced full air ride suspension system at 67,000 miles, a brake booster at 80,000 (after wife rolled through a stoplight with pedal on the floor and two kids in the car), and full engine top end at 112,000 (bad lifter ground the camshaft). Had the truck back 2 weeks after the top end rebuild and it left me on the highway. Towed it to the dealer and sold it to them. FWIW it was my the 4th Overland I've owned.

Now driving a 2008 Westminster RR that I purchased from a personal friend for a great price. Good luck with your search, I'll never own another Jeep.

Jwestpro

Explorer
... a brake booster at 80,000 (after wife rolled through a stoplight with pedal on the floor and two kids in the car), ....
Did the 2011 Jeep have a manual hand brake in center console, manual under dash version by left knee, or electronic version? This is one reason I really do like how some vehicles are retaining that simple item, both Land Cruiser and LX570. I would guess the 4Runner also has manual pull/hand brake in center console.

Jwestpro

Explorer
The 4Runner's is a pedal on the left side.

Well then, I'll never consider one of those then.

The problem I would have with the Disco Sport is that if I were going to consider that sort of shape, I'd just go directly to the Rang Rover Sport which is so much more vehicle.

So, this thread title "Discovery Sport vs. Grand Cherokee Overland vs. 4Runner TRD?" is ridiculous to me ... My answer is "none of the above"

35xj

Adventurer
It's not as though making the jump from discovery sport to Range Rover sport is a slight jump!

Discovery sport will have active driveline (like evoque) this year and expect a diesel in the nearish future

Jason911

Adventurer
IMO, bypass the diesel in any passenger vehicle. They are so complex now that it isn't worth it. You can get a decent gas engine that will be efficient and reliable under normal conditions and then provide ample power when towing. /QUOTE]

Opinions vary...

sydneyman

Observer
Did the 2011 Jeep have a manual hand brake in center console, manual under dash version by left knee, or electronic version? This is one reason I really do like how some vehicles are retaining that simple item, both Land Cruiser and LX570. I would guess the 4Runner also has manual pull/hand brake in center console.

my '11 had the manual one for the left foot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles