Discovery 5 offroad

nwoods

Expedition Leader
man, those "night club' headlights sure are weird, they way they pulse and glow asymmetrically. Weird.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'd like to see it in some capable hands. Thank goodness it has good traction control because those guys were stopping mid-obstacle, etc.

Also don't they have a rear differential locker? Seems like they weren't working very much.

Exploder
The two-speed case and rear locker are available as a package. The good news is that you'll know you have the locker if you have the Hi-Lo case. No more wallowing around on the ground looking for an actuator. That may be the case with the '14+ LR4's, as well.

JackW

Explorer
The two-speed case and rear locker are available as a package. The good news is that you'll know you have the locker if you have the Hi-Lo case. No more wallowing around on the ground looking for an actuator. That may be the case with the '14+ LR4's, as well.

Actually the rear locker is part of the "Capability Plus" package along with the two speed transfer case, terrain response 2, air suspension and the All Terrain Progress Control but as of right now the Plus package is only available on the seven seat version.
The five seat version gets the Capability Package which has only the two speed transfer case, Terrain Response 2, and air suspension. I'm trying to get Land Rover to offer the Plus package on the five seat version.

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
In summary a rear locker is only available on the most expensive LR5?

No
Only on the ones with the folding jump seats in the rear. If you want the Discovery with only seating for 5 you can't get the rear locker or All Terrain Progress Control (sort of an off road cruise control that is really cool) you can't order the Capability Plus package. I have a LR3 with rear jump seats I've never used. I've posted on Land Rover's Facebook page that they need to change that requirement and suggest that everyone who even thinks that it would be nice to have the rear locker available on all of the Discoverys contact them and voice your opinion.

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Hadnt heard of ATPC. I have never been on a trail where this would be useful. Modulating throttle, gearing and picking the right line always resulted in various speeds to maintain forword progress and minimze wheel spin. Appears LR is increasing wheel spin to serve inexperienced drivers.

I can see it now. Inexperienced driver gets stuck and calls LR to complain that ATPC resulted in them being stranded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94