Discovery 5 - Advice on larger tires for 22" wheels

Fish78

Observer
Hello,

I've got a 2018 Discovery HSE LUX with 22" wheels. I find the truck to ride rougher and louder than I expected it would when travelling down dirt roads at speed, and I feel like it may have something to do with the low profile tires. This is my first LR, and my previous 2012 4runner trail (and land cruisers before that) rode nicer down a logging road, which surprises me.

Has anyone gone to a larger sidewall tire on the 22" wheel, and did it make a noticeable difference in ride quality? If so, did you end up using lift rods to accommodate the larger tire? 1", 1.5" 2"?

Any insight is much appreciated!

JackW

Explorer
You would be a lot better off finding a set of 20" wheels for it.I had 20" Cooper tires on my D5 and it rode really well on dirt roads.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You are really better off getting the smallest size wheel you can fit. With a smaller wheel , you get more sidewall and that will provide a better ride aired down and protection against sidewall punctures.

Fish78

Observer
I hear you, I've got 18" Tuffant steel wheels for my winter tires, and could move to those full time, but I like having winter rims. I just don't love the idea of buying a third set of wheels for the truck and was hoping to leave the winters on the steels, and find something suitable to put on the 22s

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I hear you, I've got 18" Tuffant steel wheels for my winter tires, and could move to those full time, but I like having winter rims. I just don't love the idea of buying a third set of wheels for the truck and was hoping to leave the winters on the steels, and find something suitable to put on the 22s

Well, in that case , look for A/T tires in 22" , have a full sized spare and be prepare to buy new tires from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles