Discovery 3 on coils help needed

DiscoIan

Hi, new to the forum.
I am after a bit of help if anyone can assist, I’m from the uk and I’m on a couple of forums but no one really a seems to do the coil conversion from air, and doesn’t see the point.

I have bought a discovery 3 that had the coil conversion done by the previous owner, but it sat far too low for me really, so I bought some Ome coils and slapped them on the original struts. Which lifted it 2 inch and put some 265/75/17 tyres on.

I now have a warning continually pinging on the dash every time I go over 30mph, which I didn’t have when the original springs were on. Am I right in thinking that the height sensor haven’t been coded out, also to note, when stationary the 4x4 display shows the suspension at “standard” ride height, but when I go to move off, it’s says “raising” on it??

Does anyone know how to resolve the issue?

Hopefully I make sense,

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoIan

Forgot to add, it has the bypass module is already fitted and there are no error codes showing on my reader.

mccolganm4

What is the warning on the dash? Sounds like the sensors havnt been coded out and its got confused. You could try recalibrating them to make them think the new level is 'normal'.
Im in the UK too with a RRS and was considereing a coil swap

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

DiscoIan

What is the warning on the dash? Sounds like the sensors havnt been coded out and its got confused. You could try recalibrating them to make them think the new level is 'normal'.
Im in the UK too with a RRS and was considereing a coil swap

Sorry for the late response.

I have no codes, that’s the weird thing.
I bought it with the conversion already done, makes me wonder whether it has been done correctly.

I am going to try and mess about with the suspension settings tomorrow. I have found the Dunlop Eas disarm module which is tucked under by the obd port, the wiring that has been done doesn’t look great.

There doesn’t seem to be allot of info on the conversion tbh, or people who have done it.

mccolganm4

I think the sensors are telling the car it is sitting too low. Would probably be easy to sort out with a decent diagnostic or GAP tool. Would let you read the heights at each corner and adjust until the car was happy again

DiscoIan

I think the sensors are telling the car it is sitting too low. Would probably be easy to sort out with a decent diagnostic or GAP tool. Would let you read the heights at each corner and adjust until the car was happy again

Yes, I have been googling all over the place, and people mention the iid tool?? Don’t know much about it, but have seen people adjusting the ride heights, but that was with the standard air bags on the vehicle.
I have never really had a land rover before, always had a shogun or pajero.

There seem to be allot of electronics on this discovery which is proving to be a bit of a pain, and sensitive to voltage drops that can cause issues.

I will update you tomorrow when I have a play about.

Thanks for your response

mccolganm4

I was a shogun man before too. Got my RRS and an iid tool a week later. Its great. So many things you can do with it. There are a couple of UK landrover forums about. Good chance there will be someone local to you that could do a wee bit of programming

If the car was on the original suspension it would lower from the (+2") height over 30mph. You need to trick the rover's height sensors using the 'lift rods', or reprogram the ride height nominal using the gapiid tool (my plan). It's a bit expensive at first, but invaluable as soon as the dash starts lighting up. It's also possible unplugging them or moving the arm to right place and disconnecting the link would work.

DiscoIan

If the car was on the original suspension it would lower from the (+2") height over 30mph. You need to trick the rover's height sensors using the 'lift rods', or reprogram the ride height nominal using the gapiid tool (my plan). It's a bit expensive at first, but invaluable as soon as the dash starts lighting up. It's also possible unplugging them or moving the arm to right place and disconnecting the link would work.

Thanks for the reply, I’ve had a few people saying the same thing. I will try unplugging all the sensors tomorrow and see what happens.
If no joy with that, I’m thinking of buying iid tool. Like you say, it’s probably a good idea to have a good bit of kit to hand.

Thanks for the reply, I’ve had a few people saying the same thing. I will try unplugging all the sensors tomorrow and see what happens.
If no joy with that, I’m thinking of buying iid tool. Like you say, it’s probably a good idea to have a good bit of kit to hand.

Give it shot, otherwise Roverandom and Ray_G both had some good write-ups on their conversion experience, issues, and solutions, using the AB kit somewhere on this forum as these conversions were getting more available. Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to share my experience- freetime dependent.Fortunately your problem seems very solvable.

Ray_G

Explorer
Early on in my coil conversion my height sensors were still plugged in and I put rods on just to mitigate them having warnings come on from time to time.

That’s a cheaper route than IID-though the IID tool has a lot of other uses.

The electronics are a reality in these trucks, you will find it frustrating but once burnt in the coil conversion ends up working out quite well, it just requires you figuring out all the ins/outs of how your truck took to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94