Discovery 3 (LR3) and Discovery 4 (LR4) Registry

nick325i

Adventurer
Nick!

Who made the mount?

I bought it from British 4X4 Outfitters. I'm not sure about the actual manufacturer, but I can ask them. From what I've seen they are basically all the same.

That is an excellent looking install! Do you know if the winch mount is compatible with an LR3? I would also like to know who made the mount. Do you have a front skid e.g. mantec installed as well?

The mount is actually intended for an LR3. I had to space it out to provide clearance for the A/C components. Right now, I don't have a front skid plate but that might be, along with a Tactical Rovers gas tank skid plate is probably next.

Thanks for all the compliments but I can't take credit for the idea. I found the photo below searching online of an LR4 that Inland Rovers outfitted with a winch. I also used Dmarchand's right up on his winch install which helped a lot.

Last edited:

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Looks like they have a Front Runner and a Rockware hidden winch setup on their website. And a really good price on a genuine RAI :) I'm thinking you could modify the LR3 front lower bumper to expose the tray properly.

jerdog53

Explorer
Looks like they have a Front Runner and a Rockware hidden winch setup on their website. And a really good price on a genuine RAI :) I'm thinking you could modify the LR3 front lower bumper to expose the tray properly.

I was looking at that but it didn't look like what Nick had installed unless he cut and removed part of the lower bumper.

nick325i

Adventurer
I was looking at that but it didn't look like what Nick had installed unless he cut and removed part of the lower bumper.

I did carefully cut out the center of the bumper. I used a reciprocating saw and a dremel to clean up the edges. On an LR4 that area is just unpainted black plastic so it wasn't too bad.

All the winch mounts I found just give you the mount itself. It's up to the installer on how you want to handle access to the winch.

Last edited:

spikemd

Explorer
A few pics from our first adventure in the LR3 to Death Valley two weeks ago. Our first trip with the her and we experienced no issues. Very quiet on the trail and highway and tons of room for packing gear. All sorts of cubbies for little things and you can even store stuff under the seats. I wanted to play with the offroad settings some more but we didn't tackle any really difficult terrain. Overall, a great 5 days in Death Valley.

2014_dv3.jpg

2014_dv7.jpg

2014_dv17.jpg

2014_dv27.jpg

2014_dv34.jpg

Next up, wire up the rear with fusebox, accessory plugs and Anderson plugs, build a sliding platform for the ARB fridge, sliders, new tires, HAM radio...

drcooper

My "new" 07 LR3

For anyone that cares or can learn from my recent experience, I've decided to jot down a “journal” of my recent LR3 purchase.

My Land Rover history:
1990's - purchased a new Disco I - great vehicle, used it in stock condition off road very hard. Started local Land Rover Owner's Club (The Arkansas Land Rover Association (ALRA) - had a great time!
Late 90's - purchased two Series rovers (one diesel and one petrol) - refurbished them myself (mainly wiring harness upgrades, body and cosmetic work), drove each for a year or two and sold for nice profits to Rover people.
2000's - purchased a new Disco II - mainly my wife's car (as I was commuting and traveling)- had so many electrical problems from the onset that it qualified as a “Lemon” under the Lemon Law and was bought back by Land Rover North America. Took a break from Rover after being burned…

2009- purchased a used 2006 LR3 for family hauler and occasional off-road use. Had a few issues (the usual air suspension, control arms and fuel tank sensors) but overall a great vehicle.
2013- traded above for a new 2013 LR4. Its a real beauty. Wife mainly drives kids and won't let it off-road. Believe it or not, it also has nearly 2 years left on an extended warranty that transferred just fine.

Present - After seeing what my local LR dealership owner did with a 2005 LR3 with 150K miles, I got the itch. He took a pristine one (I know, how can 150K miles be pristine) in on trade and decided to clean it up, and outfit for off road use mainly for dealership off-road rally's and for his teenage son to drive.

I set out searching eBay, CarBuyer, calling dealerships, but finally through Craigslist found a good candidate. I wanted to stay around 2006-2008, with under 80K miles and around $15K for price. After a long search, 6 weeks ago, I located a privately owned 2007 LR3 SE Black/tan, nearby with 60K miles, with price right on target, and even has a couple years left on an extended warranty that it transferable. Drove to see it in Memphis and was shocked to see it looked almost new. I don't think its ever been off-road, and the interior is honestly pristine! It has new-ish Toyo street tires, recent new rear brakes and suspension compressor. Hood recently replaced due to tree limb damage during ice -storm. This was a lucky little bonus because the hood is beautifully new, even the LAND ROVER lettering in new! At some point the passenger air bag on the dash cracked, so there was a new dash installed, also a nice bonus - looks new. Previous owner also recently alternator and battery.

With initial driving, I noticed a familiar front suspension “clunk” of worn out control arms and could sense that the front brakes needing replaced. Also was concerned about a "faint whining/ metallic grinding noise" coming from the rear diff. region. So in the first week, it went to the dealer to replace front brakes, front control arms, bushings and necessary bits, rear differential and entire fuel tank (due to the familiar LR3 problem of failed fuel sensors). Ouch! But can you believe that the extended warranty paid all except my deductible and the brakes!

Got it home and started looking her over, After waxing and detailing, it looks like its off the show-room floor. I love a good application of Meguiar's black treatment to all the faded black plastic parts to make them look new again.

Last week, I installed Land Rover rear ladder from BPUtah and over the last two weeks found some original rubber mats, rubber cargo mat, full length Land Rover dog guard and genuine hitch on Craigslist for significant savings and have installed those. I have two big dogs and a couple of teenagers so these will help protect the carpets/interior and help me haul my trailer.

Have been tinkering as follows:
-Needed new hood struts, so found some good, cheaper ones on Amazon and have installed those.
-Front fog lamps were fogged up, so removed each, dissembled, cleaned and re-installed. They look clear like new.
-Removed all the interior door handles, tightened any loose screws on the anchored2 door half of the handles, sprayed edges with silicone spray lubricant and “squeaky, plastic” door handle noise is gone! Saw that tip in these forums, thanks!
-I've always been annoyed at the low volume and location of the aux audio input on the back of the center console. So after some research I ordered a “SoundShocker Pro” from eBay. I removed portions of the trim around the radio and the center trim around gear selector, as well as the face trim on the back of the center console. I popped out the aux input “box”, covering the small triangular space left with some electrician's tape - hardly noticeable. I plugged an audio cord into the aux port and tucked these connections into empty space in the back of the console. I ran the audio cord through the console towards the front, plugged the Sound Shocker Pro inline, hid it in empty space down in front of the gear selector under the trim. I then drilled a small hole into the inner side of the trim just next to left cigarette lighter, and ran a flush mount “iSimple” female aux. input port. I now have access for my music right up front and the Sound Shocker has significantly raised the volume of the aux input and it uses no batteries or power what so ever.

Finally, this weekend, changed cabin air filter, engine air filter, and DIY oil/filter change. Not afraid as needed down the road to take on brake pad changes.

Future:
Its been a busy and expensive couple weeks. I found a used set of identical 18" genuine rims on CL for a great price, so as I save up, I plan to get some BFG All Terrain TA/KO 265/65/18 on these rims for winter and off-road use, and keep the nearly new street tires for the long summer road trip vacations. I'm looking at adding a Baja Rack and thinking about the A-Frame brush bar with fog lights. I like the “original” look. Tossing around the idea of dual battery setup, but still researching.

This will be my daily driver for the foreseeable future and can't wait to head out to the woods.
I really love driving and tinkering with these vehicles! With all my history with Rover, I remain loyal to the brand and really impressed with the ability and innovation of the LR3.

IMG_3766.jpgIMG_3767.jpgIMG_3768.jpgIMG_3769.jpgIMG_3770.jpg

Last edited:

morrisdl

Adventurer
Nice write-up Dr. I also found the AUX input level unacceptable - now that its fixed I listen to it 90% of the time. My hood struts just died too but I didn't think to check amazon. I just removed the struts and use the little known spring clips on the hinges to hold the hood straight up. I think you will find that it is equally enjoyable vehicle on and off road!

DiscoNels

Adventurer
Here's my 2006 Disco 3 so far

Started with this as you see in summer 2013. I still use the 20" wheels for winter/summer but I put 265/50/20R Nitto Terra Grappler's on, nice all around tires that did great in the winter here in Minnesota.
The LR3 - 7.JPGThe LR3 - 5.JPG

Now I have this: 2006 Discovery 3 - Locking Rear Diff, Rover Specialties rock sliders, 275/65/18 Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires, Johnson Lift Rods, Roof Mounted Spare Tire on LR Expedition Roof Rack. Asfir Rear Diff Guard, Terrafirma Front Skid, Tactical 4x4 Gas Tank Skid, 60" Hi-Lift Extreme Jack

In the pictures below the top two pictures are from last summer when it was new (to me) and pristine. The bottom two pictures are from a couple of our latest MN Rover club outings here in Minnesota. Plenty of scrapes and scratches in the paint now. I even put a dent in my RR fender panel near the gas cap a few weeks ago spinning into the side of a tree which required winching on the opposite side from my rock sliders. My first Dinger!!!

Hoping to add a rear bumper with a swing away tire carrier this summer. Then eventually a front bumper and winch.

IMG_1621.jpg IMG_1624.jpg IMG_2276.jpg IMG_2235.jpg

silvajt

14MY LR4 HSE

Just picked up my new LR4 today!! Ordered in late December through the US Military Sales program here in Germany. Built early March. Finally available for delivery today. I had them swap out the body colored wheel arches for the textured black ones. Looks like an updated version of my old ’07 LR3 SE. Never did like the body-colored arches. Glad to be back in a Land Rover. Looking forward to what adventures lie ahead.

Specs:
2014 LR4 HSE
-Fuji White
-Almond
-Climate Comfort
-HD Package

Attachments

• DSC01350.JPG
    DSC01350.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 143

Forum statistics

Threads