Discovery 3 (LR3) and Discovery 4 (LR4) Registry

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
What an unreal vehicle Adi, it is truly beautiful. You have done a great job with it, and I too like the utility wagon style.

floda

thanks

hi,

thanks again for the positive feedback.
scott is right - in my sight this is the perfect lr4 . except the strong diesel enging together withe the 8 speed transmission and the all terrain respons it is just like a defender -if you go offroad you don't have to worry that much about the car like you would with a hse or se modell.
in austria the discovery is a very very expenive 4x4 - and if i am honest i can't efford to buy a hse model - but even if i could i would not, because i my opinion the lr4 is a fantastic 4x4 and i think that here in my area about 95% off the owners of that land rover do not know what the have and what their cars could do. i was driving defenders for the last 25 years - and i allways used them with 35" tires and arb lockers and so on but the disco is not far behind of them in some cases even better.....
regards
adi

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 217

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Well if the LR4 turns out to be anything like the previous Discovery models, the less luxury features, the better!

S1hdj

I love the aux battery placement. I'll have to look into that. What kind of battery did you fit in that tiny spot?

Sorry, I may have miss led you. The Aux battery is the usual place, by the air box, I just ran the cable into the back of the car to wire up the Aux sockets ;)

Hoothout

Here is mine! Just bought it less than a week ago. I have a large list of plans for this to make it overland ready. Great car and I am very happy with it so far.

2005 LR3 SE
No Mods Yet.

photo-3.jpg

LR3ZEE

IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

2006 LR3 HSE

- Johnson Rods
- ARB CMKA12 Air Compressor
- Land Rover A-Frame Bar
- "Rover Racks" Roof Rack (the original and only prototype BTW)
- 275/65R18 Goodyear Duratracs
- Land Rover Tow Wiring Harness

LR3ZEE

whatcha think of the tires? Road noise/behavior?

So far, the tires do great in snow as long as you keep the speed down. They hate big throttle in the snow.

On desert lands they do great as well. Good traction while rock crawling, good in sand and wet, but so far I haven't been able to test them in any REAL mud yet.

On the road they produce almost no noise at all, but you do notice a very faint hum letting you know that you are driving on off road tires. They also seem to track just a little bit as well. Gas mileage dropped to 12's after putting these on, keeping them inflated to about 50psi too. They did rub on the left driver wheel well and the wire that is in there too, so I had to trim the wheel well liner and move the wire further up.

So far I have not been stuck in anything I've tackled, and I've been through some tough stuff too. I may have had to take a second or third shot at some situations, but never got stuck.

Overall I'm happy with them and would give them a 8/10 if I had to rate them.

Nikson

Explorer
So far, the tires do great in snow as long as you keep the speed down. They hate big throttle in the snow.

On desert lands they do great as well. Good traction while rock crawling, good in sand and wet, but so far I haven't been able to test them in any REAL mud yet.

On the road they produce almost no noise at all, but you do notice a very faint hum letting you know that you are driving on off road tires. They also seem to track just a little bit as well. Gas mileage dropped to 12's after putting these on, keeping them inflated to about 50psi too. They did rub on the left driver wheel well and the wire that is in there too, so I had to trim the wheel well liner and move the wire further up.

So far I have not been stuck in anything I've tackled, and I've been through some tough stuff too. I may have had to take a second or third shot at some situations, but never got stuck.

Overall I'm happy with them and would give them a 8/10 if I had to rate them.

Thanks for reply...

I've been looking around, and so far have stopped on the BFG A/T, these GoodYears and the new Toyo AT2s for the choice on my upgrade.

I guess time will show...

A.J.M

Explorer
05412C75-2217-4701-8695-F3F60F76F55D-380-000000217E11AF17.jpg

2004 Discovery 3 Tdv6 HSE

- Front and Rear light guards
- Side Steps
- Blanked EGR's
- RLD 8mm front sump guard
- Goodyear Duratrac's. 255/55/19

I've had the Duratrac's for 2 months now, covering just over 2000 miles. Have covered every terrain bar sand in them. Have yet to have a traction issue with them in mud, rocks wet roads and spirited driving in the dry.
Were a little unhappy at towing uphill on snow/ice but switching DSC off solved that issue.
No real increase in road noise.
Fuel economy has dropped from 25.29 to 22/23ish with last tank being 21.89. Recorded on iphone with fuel app.

We still have winter snow falling and the temperatures are barely getting above 8degs, we still have winter diesel additives in the fuel and my normal driving is town with some motorway.

I got mine from England and shipped to Scotland, the supplier got the largest supply of them in the UK of.... 100. Not 100 sets. 100 tyres. I have 5.

Plans are, roof rack, fit either one of the LR A frames, either the plastic or metal, more under body protection, safari snorkel, rear ladder, 2nd fuel tank and turn the inside into a expedition ready D3.

High Center

Adventurer
Oh man....
What a great rig.

Beautiful.

hi again - and this time in the right thread.
i just finished my "personal project" lr4 discovery
the tires i use are cooper st maxx 275/70/18 which is slightly higher than 33" and about 10,5" wide - the wheels are from compomotive in england.
i was surprised when i drove the lr4 with this setup how quiet the new tires are.
i use the electronical llams to control the height. onroad i drive now 3 cm (1,2") higher the stock height.
the winch bumber is a d44 hidden mount from devon together with a warn 9.5 xp with wireless remote.
the roof rack is from land rover - i removed the railing.
the lights on the rack are from rigide - the make 13000 lumens which really turns night to day.
the discovery is comercial very without any extras except winter package.
i try to add som pics let's see if it works out.
greeting fom seefeld in tyrol

adi

Krisbarger

Observer
Noticed a few compomotive 18" rims... those are so sweet. however i want to spend that money on a winch and front bumper and a roof rack! Sooo, ive been looking at tire options for the 19" rims. Anyone have experience with the coopers zeon LTZ or Pirelli scorpions ATR's? Some great looking tires in this thread, the ones I saw on here that stopped me in my tracks were the goodyears and they are discontinued!

Krisbarger

Observer
hi again - and this time in the right thread.
i just finished my "personal project" lr4 discovery
the tires i use are cooper st maxx 275/70/18 which is slightly higher than 33" and about 10,5" wide - the wheels are from compomotive in england.
i was surprised when i drove the lr4 with this setup how quiet the new tires are.
i use the electronical llams to control the height. onroad i drive now 3 cm (1,2") higher the stock height.
the winch bumber is a d44 hidden mount from devon together with a warn 9.5 xp with wireless remote.
the roof rack is from land rover - i removed the railing.
the lights on the rack are from rigide - the make 13000 lumens which really turns night to day.
the discovery is comercial very without any extras except winter package.
i try to add som pics let's see if it works out.
greeting fom seefeld in tyrol

adi

Will those lights works with any roof rack? They are SWEET!
I would love to know more about how you are driving a little more lifted...
Do you have any pictures of the rack from the top? How does the land rover rack compare to others like Front Runner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior