Discovery 2 Vs GX470

m_lars

And I’ve experienced the same thing with numerous owners of multiple brands. Especially river owners. They seem to be the rudest. But that’s just my experience.
Rover guys are probably THE most self deprecating group you’ll run into. We know they’ve had flaws over the years, yet we choose to drive them despite these flaws. Did you ever think they might be reacting to you?

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
A Toyota owner tells us that the rudest people are Rover owners as he insults us in the same sentence! lol. classic Toyota talk!
I have not found Rover owners to be overly rude. A vehicle's character is nearly always a reflection of the owner. Toyota buyers are typically type A, so the idea of a mechanical failure often gives them a lot of anxiety (which is why they buy Toyotas). Land Rover owners tend to be more creative and free-spirited, so a breakdown most often just adds to the sense of adventure. Every vehicle is deeply flawed. . . but pointing that out is like making fun of someone's dog. Fighting words :)

It completely makes sense why a typical Toyota owner would be completely confused as to why someone would buy a Land Rover.

I make sure my character is well-rounded by owning a few of each ;)

m_lars

I have not found Rover owners to be overly rude. A vehicle's character is nearly always a reflection of the owner. Toyota buyers are typically type A, so the idea of a mechanical failure often gives them a lot of anxiety (which is why they buy Toyotas). Land Rover owners tend to be more creative and free-spirited, so a breakdown most often just adds to the sense of adventure. Every vehicle is deeply flawed. . . but pointing that out is like making fun of someone's dog. Fighting words :)

It completely makes sense why a typical Toyota owner would be completely confused as to why someone would buy a Land Rover.

This is an excellent observation. It’s one of those things that’s hard for me to put into words, but that sums it up well.

In the end there needs to be respect and that’s what I have found lacking from the Toyota owners I’ve been referring to.

tdferrero

Well for the record, I daily a 33-year old BMW, so I didn't even know the word "reliable" until recently. :LOL:

tdferrero

Details on the BMW! 2002?
Oh I wish. I found a rust free shell about an hour away though, so once we’re back in a house with a garage, a 2002 will undoubtedly be my next project. Until then, I’ll stick with my 1988 325i convertible.

Attachments

• 19586C8F-DFEC-4958-8AF2-DD8A33930D48.jpeg
    19586C8F-DFEC-4958-8AF2-DD8A33930D48.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 29

gatorgrizz27

I tend to get along with Toyota guys ok, as we are both the outcasts of the off road community by not being Jeep owners. The most interesting discussion most JK/JL guys around here have seems to be color-coordinating as many bolt on trinkets as possible to their 22” wheels with mud terrains on them.

My Toyota friends will rag on me as to whether my LR3 will make it to the trailhead or break down halfway, and I give them crap about paying $17,000 for a 22 year old vehicle with 250k miles and 140 hp.

From my experiences, the most likely issues to leave you actually stranded (off road or in town) are the things common to all vehicles. Dying batteries, failing alternator, cracked radiators, bad fuel pumps, and tire problems.

Granted, Land Rovers are for more likely to have a myriad of “issues” at any given time like door locks possibly not working, dash lights coming on and off, etc, but they generally don’t prevent you from moving.

tdferrero

I tend to get along with Toyota guys ok, as we are both the outcasts of the off road community by not being Jeep owners. The most interesting discussion most JK/JL guys around here have seems to be color-coordinating as many bolt on trinkets as possible to their 22” wheels with mud terrains on them.

My Toyota friends will rag on me as to whether my LR3 will make it to the trailhead or break down halfway, and I give them crap about paying $17,000 for a 22 year old vehicle with 250k miles and 140 hp.

From my experiences, the most likely issues to leave you actually stranded (off road or in town) are the things common to all vehicles. Dying batteries, failing alternator, cracked radiators, bad fuel pumps, and tire problems.

Granted, Land Rovers are for more likely to have a myriad of “issues” at any given time like door locks possibly not working, dash lights coming on and off, etc, but they generally don’t prevent you from moving.
Whoa there, first of all, it was a 23 year old vehicle that made 141 hp.
As for the JK/JL owners, I have to say I'm genuinely impressed on how well they color coordinate. I've been helping a friend look for a JK for the past month, and most everything we've seen has either been entirely stock or had some bizarre paint job or accent colors. Not exactly what we're looking for, but impressive nonetheless. I never knew they made lime green seat brackets and sliders.

Agree on all those last comments; I believe what we drive is part of our character. I'll disagree that most Yota and Jeep owners are Type A as most peel off their suits of armor to expose their Beta Core when they get stuck, or break down; can't say it's much different in the current Rover community. The vast majority of the current off-road culture can't fix their own vehicles in their garage; much less on the trail.

I don't seem to have a problem getting along with the communities of other brands and I wheel with some of them but also steer clear or a group of die-hard Jeep guys I know can and live on the Rubicon as their vehicles and their skills belong there. For the rest, the vast majority are doing and going the same places or far less than the vehicle next to them.

My LR3 is built for me and where I go and where it lives and does it in fantastic form; outside of the 17" wheel mod, she is bone stock in every aspect outside of the kit I bolt on to increase her operational use as an overland comfort wagon with space and racks and such. The core of the vehicle is bone stock in LR fashion all around, to include the LR brakes and wheels I installed on that 17" whee mod. LR lacks in a variety of suspension products in their modern vehicles because they do not need them; I'll argue that 99% of the Jeeps and Yotas are in the exact same boat but the I-Twittergrammers and beta males need to compensate somehow so they do it with their vehicles.

Can't shake a stick without dinging the paint on a fully modified Taco or Jeep in my area; I'm in Man-Diego, the biggest Beta-Male capital south of LA Coastal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles