Discovery 2 Vs GX470

XJLI

Adventurer
Even the LC100 and legendary 2UZ-FE needs it's heater tee's changed bc of spontaneous failure.

Personally think all vehicles went to the plastic/composites for cost, ease, and blah blah blah and to be honest OEMs make a ton more money on the return maintenance plan or continued revenue.

I replaced all the coolant components around 75k due to a front end accident repair and made good sense at the time. I kept the stuff that had good life on it for the spares box on the shelf and then when I bought the upgraded metal bleed T and stuff like that, I decided to buy two just in case (cheap enough) so I had a spare in the trail kit for me or another unlucky soul........lol

m_lars

I’m another vote for the LR3 (we’ve also owned a D2 and loved it). I’m contemplating a D1 or D2 to build as a more aggressive trail rig, but nothing beats the 3 as an all around DD/overland type vehicle. They are so comfortable commuting and plenty capable on the trail. Mine has 220k on the clock and is going strong. The EAS gets an undeserved bad rap because of older systems. I replaced my front struts at 180k due to pinhole leaks on one side, they were dated 2005!

I will never own a Toyota product. I can’t stand the Toyota Superiority Complex the majority of owners have in the off road community. Yep, they’re as reliable as a toaster. But as interesting as plain white toast. I like a vehicle with some character.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I’m another vote for the LR3 (we’ve also owned a D2 and loved it). I’m contemplating a D1 or D2 to build as a more aggressive trail rig, but nothing beats the 3 as an all around DD/overland type vehicle. They are so comfortable commuting and plenty capable on the trail. Mine has 220k on the clock and is going strong. The EAS gets an undeserved bad rap because of older systems. I replaced my front struts at 180k due to pinhole leaks on one side, they were dated 2005!

I will never own a Toyota product. I can’t stand the Toyota Superiority Complex the majority of owners have in the off road community. Yep, they’re as reliable as a toaster. But as interesting as plain white toast. I like a vehicle with some character.

You literally described all jeep owners, ford owners, lr owners etc.

m_lars

You literally described all jeep owners, ford owners, lr owners etc.
You know the Toyota guys crank it to 11. Every brand has its fans, but the Toyota guys just can’t wrap their head around why you’d pick something else, and then denigrate you for it. I have my doubts you’ll see it objectively given you username, but keep an eye out.

Last edited:

tdferrero

You know the Toyota guys crank it to 11. Every brand has its fans, but the Toyota guys just can’t wrap their head around why you’d pick something else, and then denigrate you for it.
Again, you've just described Jeep, Ford, Land Rover, Chevy, Dodge, and just about every car manufacturer owner.
@johohoward my vote is for the GX.

tdferrero

Look, I’m not saying there isn’t banter back and forth between all brands, but the attitude you’ve taken here kinda proves my point.
So the "attitude" addressing each brand has its loyalists, is proving your point of a unfounded belief that one is the worst of them all? Duly noted.

tdferrero

It’s your tone. Sorry I spoke up.
You have 7 total messages on the forum and not a single one has anything positive to say. Your introduction to this thread was, "...I will never own a Toyota product. I can’t stand the Toyota Superiority Complex...," which, I must say, is a truly charming and approachable tone to begin with.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
You know the Toyota guys crank it to 11. Every brand has its fans, but the Toyota guys just can’t wrap their head around why you’d pick something else, and then denigrate you for it. I have my doubts you’ll see it objectively given you username, but keep an eye out.

Yea that’s not true. Illy buddy hates Toyota because they bombed us in wwii. His worlds. Maybe in your mind toggles owners “crank it to 11” because you already have a preconceived notion they do.

m_lars

You have 7 total messages on the forum and not a single one has anything positive to say. Your introduction to this thread was, "...I will never own a Toyota product. I can’t stand the Toyota Superiority Complex...," which, I must say, is a truly charming and approachable tone to begin with.
Sorry I don’t meet your standards. I don’t spend a lot of time here because I prefer to be outside, I’ve got too many interests to just focus here. I stated my opinion on the matter and the two of you came out with knives. Obviously I struck a nerve, maybe you do realize I have a point?

I grew up in a family that is into classic cars. My dad has a ‘67 Camaro convertible, my brother has a ‘65 Corvair Spyder convertible. My first vehicle was a ‘60 Chevy short box step side street rod pickup, which I still have 30 some years later. Our friends were into Fords or Mopars and the light hearted banter went back and forth. But in the end we knew each liked what they liked, respected each other’s preferences and life went on. As the “overland” segment of off-roading has gotten so huge and Toyota has embraced it, there have become some very rabid fans I have personally encountered. Not all of them, there’s a very strong contingent of Toyota guys near me associated with a shop in Salt Lake that have been very cool. It seems way more prevalent in newer people. Maybe I am more sensitive than some because I’m a Land Rover fan, the brand that all other brands have agreed to hate on. However, it goes well beyond the lighthearted banter that is so prevalent in the automotive world. Honestly take a look, maybe it’s not as prevalent here because it’s put on by people who have been doing this before it was cool, but it’s out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles