Discovery 2 Outback Tourer

Redback

Adventurer
This is my Discovery TD5, i have set it up to do remote touring towing a trailer.
DSC01538.sized.jpg

Drawers for recovery gear and tools soon to be changed
index.php

index.php

Auxillary battery position
disco_051.sized.jpg

The modifications

LandRover Discovery 2001
Series II TD5 Manual
Safari Snorkle
ARB winch bar
9000lb Toyo X-9 Superwinch
Traxide SC40 Dual battery system
Fullriver 60AH AGM Auxillary battery
2 extra accessory sockets in the rear
Cibie super oscers
LRA Rock sliders
Home made storage drawers & box
Rhino roof rack
Bob Burrage Awning
Pole carrier
Shovel holder and long handle shovel
4 tonne exhaust jack
GME TX3200 UHF Radio
Mobileone 4.5db antenna
Cooper STT 245/75/16s
Bruce Davis ECU performance upgrade
4" Lovells lift coils, rears are loading carrying HD
Bilstein shocks rear
Rancho ES5000 front
Maxi Drive rear Locker
Maxi Axles
Navman PiN pocket PC GPS Navigation system
Fridge slide (home made)
Waeco CF40AC 12/24/240w Fridge/Freezer
Rear bar/BUMPER (home made)
Factory heavy duty tow hitch
Trigg offroad trailer hitch
To tow a Redback Country Explorer Campertrailer

That's her all setup and ready to go:1888fbbd:

Baz.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have a few questions if you dont mind:

Did your Discovery come with a center differential lock?

What is your opinion of the Waeco unit?

I see that you have Maxi-Drive. My first exposure to those units was in the Outback Challenge. Are your diff. locks vacuum or cable?

Awesome machine Baz :clapsmile

Redback

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I have a few questions if you dont mind:

Did your Discovery come with a center differential lock?

What is your opinion of the Waeco unit?

I see that you have Maxi-Drive. My first exposure to those units was in the Outback Challenge. Are your diff. locks vacuum or cable?

Awesome machine Baz :clapsmile

First question
No i put an AMV electric actuater in mine as it came with the lock in the transfer case.
http://www.amv.com.au/SeriesIIDifflock.htm
CDLParts.jpg

The Waeco i have was voted best 12volt fridge here in a test of all the 12volt fridges on the market, because it used less power in the hottest conditions, there are about 10 aussie brands alone not counting the overseas brands, so far it's great i like the 3 stage battery protection and you can set what temp you want the fridge to run at and it can be used on mains power and 24 volt too, it's also a genuine 40 litres, it's a great fridge.

My Maxidrive is Vacuum they use the old dog clutch setup an old but still a proven system, i got the Maxi because there has never been a failure in competitions as yet, i'll be putting a Detroit TruTrac and Maxi Axels in the front soon.

Baz.

Baz.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
BAZ-

Welcome to the portal!

I came across your rear bumper write up in a search for one of my own and I like the looks of yours very functional.

Have you had any issues with dragging the factory tow hitch?

And one more thing I like your cdl set-up just wondering if you had any issues with adjusting the actuator and if your wiring was holding up... not sure if I want to go the electrical or the mechanical route.

Very nice list of mods also!

:beer:

Redback

Adventurer
I don't understand why diesels are not imported to the US, aspecially when the US manufacture some awesome diesel engines, one of the things guys do here is transplant the 6.5 V8 Chev into there 4WDs, it's awesome when you sit behind a 110 Defender with a Chev V8 in it:drool: :drool: :drool:
also alot prefer the auto here combined with the TD5 aspecially for towing, it means they don't have to get the ECU power upgrade for more torque.

Anyway i will be changing the rear drawers in a couple of months to this setup
gallery_43_4_18808.jpg

The misses is short and has trouble reaching into the fridge
no.gif

As usual i'll be making them, again
ermm.png
still they should look good.

Baz.

Redback

Adventurer
FourByLand said:
BAZ-

Welcome to the portal!

I came across your rear bumper write up in a search for one of my own and I like the looks of yours very functional.

Have you had any issues with dragging the factory tow hitch?

And one more thing I like your cdl set-up just wondering if you had any issues with adjusting the actuator and if your wiring was holding up... not sure if I want to go the electrical or the mechanical route.

Very nice list of mods also!

:beer:

Yes the factory hitch does drag but only when doing serious stuff, you know rocks and stuff, the upside is it can protect under the back too.

The AMV actuater was put on the car just after we got it and trust me it's had a hard time, from the salt lakes of the Simpson to the big gibbers(rocks) of the Stoney Desert and the Oodnadatta track, thousands of Ks/miles of some of the worst roads in Australia and lots of water crossings, and never had an issue, never adjusted it or had to do anything with it, it's very good and it's good to be able to engage or diengage on the fly, the other bonus is being able disabling the TC and ABS if need be, i don't but others do.

The rear bumper was really easy to make, it's only bad thing is, it's stronger than the factory mounts and i find if i come down on a rock and hit the bumper i bend the brackets on the car not the bumper, something i will fix very soon.

Baz.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Very nice.

I think as long as you getting the carpeting right you will be very pleased with the outcome of the rear storage set-up!

I have seen a few people also incorporate this into the rear door, just thought you might like to see.

Attachments

• rear door.jpg
    rear door.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 92

Redback

Adventurer
FourByLand said:
Very nice.

I think as long as you getting the carpeting right you will be very pleased with the outcome of the rear storage set-up!

I have seen a few people also incorporate this into the rear door, just thought you might like to see.

Hey i like that, that's one of the best rear door tables i've seen.

Baz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles