Discovery 1 Rooftop tent question

High Center

Adventurer
Hello everyone- I was wondering if anyone had some insight (or pics) of a D1 with a Safety Devices roof rack fitted...with a RTT? Ive seen a D2 with a rear opening mount and kind of like the idea. I'm also a tad curious as to how the tent sits in the rack. It looks fairly deep to me.

Thanks,
HC

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I have a D1 with the fully flat Safety Devices roof rack. The dealer also had a SD rack that followed the contours of the D1 roof. I opted for flat as I do use mine for lumber, etc. The 'basket' is deep and I'm not sure I have seen one with a RTT. All RTT's I've seen start with a no-rails flat rack. That doesn't say you couldn't drop one into the basket and then maybe modify the rear of the basket to drop down for access.

crystalclear

Observer
i doubt a rtt could fit within the rails of an sd rack - there are plenty where the rtt sits on top of the long side rails (running front to back)

dont chop up a sd rack, find a baja rack or other flat rack and mount, or simple crossbars

2.ooohhh

I’m going to be running a rhino rack pioneer platform on my D1 for the flat utility of it. Would likely work well for a tent if you’re so inclined.

From what I’ve seen most cut the side bars off the SD racks to accommodate RTTs. Which I could see if you already had one but I wouldn’t buy one if I was intending on mounting a tent from the get go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Center

Adventurer
i doubt a rtt could fit within the rails of an sd rack - there are plenty where the rtt sits on top of the long side rails (running front to back)

dont chop up a sd rack, find a baja rack or other flat rack and mount, or simple crossbars
I don't have any intention of chopping up my roof rack. I was wondering if anyone had conceived of a good setup to circumvent the problem.

chasema

Mines a Baja rack not an sd, I only have the RTT on it when we’re actually going out and doing a trip that’s more than a weekend or the gf is coming a long, otherwise I leave it off. Because of that I got the Baja rack with the rails and cut the back bar off so it’d open over the rear door that has a fold out table on it. 888BC893-F567-4381-988C-DAC2E97B210A.jpeg

Tent doesnt sit inside the rack, sits ontop of the top bars.
Photos are far away, sorry. Cant seem to find anything close up.

Does just fine, I do plan to sell this rack and get a voyager that is sucked down to the roof more and doesnt have the upper bar

1574357623982.png
IMG_20190329_182750.jpgIMG_20190329_195926.jpg1574358403199.png

Edit, found a few closer shots2019-03-29.jpg2019-03-28.jpg1574359868585.png

Last edited:

tdferrero

Tent doesnt sit inside the rack, sits ontop of the top bars.
Photos are far away, sorry. Cant seem to find anything close up.

Does just fine, I do plan to sell this rack and get a voyager that is sucked down to the roof more and doesnt have the upper bar

View attachment 552160
View attachment 552161View attachment 552162View attachment 552163

Edit, found a few closer shotsView attachment 552168View attachment 552167View attachment 552169

Want to just sell me the whole car instead?

DiscoDino

Observer
I'm running a Baja Rack for my RTT and love it. If your rack is ONLY made to hold your RTT...you can consider 3 cross bars for even lighter weight. If the car stays, I will consider going through the roof to the SD cage a la CT Discos and further lighten the load on the rain gutters...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 11.21.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 11.21.21 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 26

sturgillk

Observer
We had our Tepui Kukenam on top of our SD rack for a while. 2" lift, 235/85's and the tent bolted to square bar on top of the roof rack. Meant that I could barely reach the zipper. And I'm 6' 4"!

I ended up tying some bailing twine to the zipper and using that to pull it closed/open in the tricky spots. But we did ok with that on a month long trip that took us across the Western United States, so it's doable.

Now, the rtt is on a small Harbor Freight trailer. That way, we can lift the dog up in to it when the temperature drops. End, it's not constantly sitting as a sail on top of our Disco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles