discovery 1 for year traveling Africa

robnmandy

Observer
You'll notice I've gained nearly 10" or so at the rear. The old tow plate was like a plough!

And considering I never tow anything either. (Need a license in uk). It was a pretty heavy not needed lump to remove

I think the difference in UK and U.S. Language has caused some confusion aswell. :).

bri

Adventurer
You'll notice I've gained nearly 10" or so at the rear. The old tow plate was like a plough!

And considering I never tow anything either. (Need a license in uk). It was a pretty heavy not needed lump to remove

I think the difference in UK and U.S. Language has caused some confusion aswell. :).

Oh my, you were right removing that. I have never seen anything like it.

bri

Adventurer
That's a pretty standard towing setup in the UK.

Seriously? What is it rated at?

Don't all disco's come with a hitch like in the US?

I guess if that setup handles more than the stock hitch it could make sense, but if I needed something like that I would get a real tow vehicle.

bri

Adventurer
robnmandy, you mentioned in one post that you heard never to pull from a hitch. what is the reason for that. With the receiver and dring like above, I think it is ideal.

robnmandy

Observer
robnmandy, you mentioned in one post that you heard never to pull from a hitch. what is the reason for that. With the receiver and dring like above, I think it is ideal.

Your quite right. It is ideal with a D ring. I had in my mind a tow hitch. Was the ball type. Or a tow bar. Like the picture I posted.

You should never recover with that type. As there's nothing to hold the straps or ropes on.

It was simply a confusion, d1 as far as I'm aware in UK doesn't come standard with a removable "hitch" to swap between ball type and D ring. So I just assumed the toe hitch described was the type that I had previously (a ball type).

Hope that clears it up.

bri

Adventurer
No worries, I just wanted to know if I was missing something.

Definitely hooks and balls are not good for use with straps/winches.

Probably one of the first things I learned, fortunately I did not have to learn from experience. :)

robnmandy

Observer
not been up to much really, just been doing final preps ready to go... only a clutch and cambelt kit to go that ill do in the next couple weeks, order some spares and then im ready to hit the road.

finished cleaning off and paining everything underneath

made some curtains for rear windows to help keep sun out and eyes away from any valuables

sorted out some of the camera gear and mounts

replaced some broken plasitcs around the car from its life off road over the years

fitted regular sized wheels.. the muddy ones are the new ones.. second hand off of a tray back we just fitted them to

a final polish to get the outside up to scratch

and finnaly a small pic of some sponser we picked up recently... craghoppers have supplied us all with clothing from there kiwi and nosilife range!! so thanks to them :) we shall do some small reviews etc for them as and when we have somthing to review!!

thats all for now cheers for reading

robnmandy

Observer
so the trip is all but finished... we did what we set out to do and we made it to capetown 9 months today we have been on the road heres a few pics of the vehicle in action... and my brotherinlaws, i shall put a full write up in the appropriate section in a moment

in no particular order

morocco

south africa

namibia

with Achi2africa and wheelie adventurous in namibia

zambia

angola

congo brazzaville

DRC

cameroon

nigeria

togo

burkina faso

mali

senegal

Ray_G

Explorer
So awesome. Congrats, I look forward to the write up but the pics alone are excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robnmandy

Observer
Ray G ive just been looking throught your build very nice! the write up is on! oxford to capetown!

cheers for the comments

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks for the words, Coyote is def my first love in terms of rovers and its nice to have my hands on her full time again-seeing your pics renews my drive to actually take her to Alaska since I think getting her across the pond may be a bridge too far!

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery I am likely going to be fabbing up some mesh window guards like you have in the back. Difficult to source here (or absurdly $$$), I think I'll just make them with materials I have on hand.

Look forward to the write up and please more pics!
r-
Ray

Gren_T

Adventurer
Welcome back.. I'll look forward to reading of your journey -it would make a great seminar at the adventure overland show in sept.

regards
Gren

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94