discovery 1 for year traveling Africa

Steve UK

Adventurer
Hi robnmany,Iam on a 4x4 forum that South African based and has nearly 50 000 members.
You will find plenty of info on it, might be a good idea to join. Plenty of advice and other.
Here are some links of the site.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=232 (this is all on East Africa)
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/index.php (here you can chose what you want to browse)
Enjoy the planning, its all part of the trip.

Good advice there, bloody good website. Great place to get up to date information whilst on the road too such as road conditions.

My advice would be to get tracks4africa we used it for Namibia and Botswana, extremely useful and very accurate from what we saw.

Steve

robnmandy

Observer
thanks for all the comments. i shall get myself on the forums and yes steve! we will be getting TFA weve already got a bunch of paper maps but currently deciding on the right garmin to run the satnav version on

done a few more bits since last time i was on , fitted a safe, but im not telling you where! ;) also changed winch wire to rope. i cant believe how much weight is in the old wire, it must be 15kg atleast!

also decided on the water system, im going to carry 2 25L drums, behind drivers seat. i decided on this so i can remove them to fill, and if i spring a leak i don't lose all of the water. ive ordered a quick release fitting that im going to try and attach to a lid that i can swap between the two barrels when needed.

next on the list is to find a water purifier/filter and where to fit it and the pump.

robnmandy

Observer
the car as it stands now... almost done a few bits since

ive built and carpeted the rear as much as i think im going to just finishing off a shower/water system. lots and lots of headaches and beer taken to work it all out how i want it, .

this bit allows me to securly fit the corner piece but i can still remove it without unscrewing everything

im going to fit the water filter to the boarded up windows ao its up out of the way. just waiting on some bits to turn up and i can get it all finished

ive also sorted out a roof box. so from this....

to this...

its an aluminium box and weighs next to nothing and shall be used for light stuff as to keep the weight down up there, also the stuff we wont need every day, change of boots etc
and added a winch-it rope

also fitted a grab handle for the woman

Scott Brady

Founder
Exciting progress. Have you considered the rear quarter panel aux. fuel tank to keep the weight down? Have you identified where on your route you may need the extra range? With the 100 (ish) liter factory tank and a 300Tdi, the Discovery has impressive range.

robnmandy

Observer
i did look at the aux tanks but they are to pricey for me, we got a good deal on cans as two vehicles. and the ability to carry other fluids if we find we dont need so much diesel, i agree its a fairly impressive range, i havent looked at distances between "garages" as such. its more of a safety net, some garages my not have fuel, there may not be a garage anymore etc,

green

AIRBORNE
E3CB6C36-198D-4F5C-A0E5-8B11133ACF31.jpg
[/URL][/QUOTE]

I like the grab handle what is that out of?

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
hi all im rob n mandy is the wife,

were in the later half of our 20s and recently married. we love outdoors and are giving up everything we worked for to start life on the road.(atleast for a while)

im a mechanic by trade and mandy is a retail manager, so thats us out the way (i cannot find an introduce yourself section)

our vehicle is a my96 discovery 1, 120k on the clock and ive had it for 7 years now, its been gradually getting bigger and better, repaired and more kitted out for our camping needs... some of you may notice its a little over the top in ways for traveling africa for a year, but the vehicle was primarily built for looks, and my ego :) when i first got into the 4x4 scene

there are still things that need doing and a few bit that need to be changed, like tyres (yes im going smaller)

we are also traveling with my brotherinlaw and his partner so 4 of us for the year,in two discos. Cannot wait!

ill post a pic and a link to the face book page and ill go have a look around! cheers

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Where-to-next-Africa/301927936647306?ref=hl

Tagged...

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I will watch your trip with great interest. I was planning trans-Africa this year, but other projects have bumped it to 2016.

Bots and Namibia are stunning. The Skeleton Coast is all-world.
1492493_10152492936088275_543657586_o.jpg

Scott...not to derail this thread...but what is going to be your route...north south etc?...Susan and I are going to be in Zambia or Namibia in July 2016...leaning towards a self drive in Namibia....would be cool to run into you in Africa.

Scott Brady

Founder
I plan to start in Cape Town and head north. I really wanted to go this year, but too many irons in the fire and an Australia desert trip is planned for this summer.

I would be looking at June'ish start in South Africa.

robnmandy

Observer

I like the grab handle what is that out of?[/QUOTE]

It's the tailgate/rear load area handle from the discovery. It used to be fitted in the back. Standard on all discos. But it was in the way of my fridge/slide so I removed it. And after a couple beers I held it up and.... Well look at that. With a small amount of trimming (shorten the tags on handle and plastic pillar cover) it fits there

Hope it helps.

robnmandy

Observer
Not posted much for a few months been busy finishing off. It's not to everyone's taste. Needs. Or ideals... But it will work for us and with the budget we had its done. Just a quick belts change and were off. Can't say that often about a Landy.

So it looks a touch too heavy. But suspension etc has been done to compensate. Also have a theory of only carrying the fuel we believe we need. So all 4 will not be full at the same time unless absolutely necessary, and in that case. We will decant into main tank as and when there's room to minimize time the roof has weight. I'm 100% sure there's a better way of doing things but I'm also 100% sure we will be just fine.. We have nothing but time.

Some pics Of the finished job. And a few of the bits I've been doing. Inc fully waxoiled under sealed painted and protected body and chassis. New box sills and repaired bolt floor and inner arches. New front and rear props trailing arms and had steering bars era all poly bushes. I'm sticking with terrafirma shocks on rear. They've had a few fully loaded 2-3 week trips on rough stuff and handles in my opinion perfectly with no evidence of leaks etc.

Shower is a touch cold in UK weather though...

Thanks for looking. I'm sure I've missed out loads but I'll put it up as I remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94