Discos going Solar.

TOUGE

If you do go down the second battery route I recommend going a DC/DC charger over just a relay change over.

I have had all sorts of problems keeping my second battery charged on my LR4 because of the Land Rover "smart" charging system, I'm also a leave the fridge running 90% of the time person. The LR's have a variable output alternator that will change the current and voltage output depending on the load. Having a second battery hanging off it, the ECU doesn't detect it properly and then doesn't provide enough current and voltage to charge it properly. Watching the voltage and current on the Gaptool, after a while(depends on the load, lights, aircon ect) the voltage will drop to 13.4-13.8v float and with a fridge running, camera and gopro batteries charging, the second battery never gets a chance to fully recharge properly as it only provides the current to keep the things hanging off the second battery going but not enough voltage and current to charge the second battery properly.

I currently use a Blue Sea ML-ACR but will be switching to a Redarc BCDC1225D DC/DC when work quietens down and I get a chance to rewire. The Redarc takes multiple DC inputs(main battery/atlernator and solar) and has different modes for constant current and variable output alternators. It also has the correct charging and float profiles for all battery types.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
If you’re running the solar panel just for the fridge, then just KISS and add a completely separate battery.

Solar panel > charge controller > small deep cycle battery like a group 24 > fridge plug. Do not tie into the primary battery or vehicle wiring at all. Should last fine for a weekend in decent weather. Add a battery tender plug to top it off after trips if you park in the garage.

This is something I may look into for sure. I could put in under the rear floor. There is a lot of space under there after the third row delete.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Got the Panel bolted on this afternoon. There are holes in the frame that line up nicely with the Frontrunner Roof Rack slots.
No I just need to fine time to run the wiring and install the solar controller.
IMG_1938.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles