Disconnecting parallel AGM’s

jarrodreno

Hey, so I’ve googled and I’ve YouTubed and I’m finding mixed signals.

Picked up a trailer with 400watt solar,solar charge and 2x 200ah AGM’s. I want to cut this down to one portable 100watt panel and a single200ah battery.

I’ve disconnected the panels and the charger by way of the mc4 connectors. Now I’m looking at this battery and figure I’ve got a 50/50 chance on choosing correctly.

In what order should I disconnect these cables safely?

468C4264-CFF0-419C-887F-6140D32C8E4F.jpeg

jarrodreno

Why would you cut the solar and battery bank down?

Reason is to save space and weight. Those four panels take up the entire roof and the batteries weigh about 140lbs each. My needs will be to run a Dometic fridge, water pump and some LED’s for at most 4 days at a time. I’ll be installing a DCDC charger for when I’m driving and a shore charger for when I’m parked.

this is all installed on a small smittybilt scout trailer.

jarrodreno

If charging source is on and charging at the time, removing negative tail first is safer.
If charging source off, it wont matter which is removed first.
Regardless, Its always good practice to isolate or otherwise prevent the positive tail touching anything other than its respective battery post.

The best part of your job. Gives you chance to inspect the ring terminal crimps to their respective conductors.
Considering the ************ looking crimpjob on the positive lead we can see, makes one suspect all crimping is ************.

Btw, Speaking of safety.
As shown, but without seeing more of the overall installation.
That installation is moderately unsafe without OCPD on either both or at least the smaller of the positive tails.

yeah it ain’t a clean setup and it’s just out there on top for the world to see ?‍♂️?‍♂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles