Disco1 or 2?

silvElise

Adventurer
Hey guys,
I am new to the forum and I am looking to build a fun overlander... I tried to look at the starter thread but could not find the differences or a discussion on it.... I have decided to go with a rover but I am unsure on whether to go for a d1 or d2. Both are fairly similar in price and like both of them but was unsure which would be a better/cheaper base to build from.

Also this will not be a DD.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
2004 DII- Most refined and capable in stock form. Factory traction control and a CDL. 4.6L V8
1999 DI- Pinnacle of the DI, and typically the most reliable
1995 DI 5-Speed, SD- Most simple and easy to service. This is what I own and love it.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Good advice from Scott.

I believe it depends how charismatic of a vehicle you want. Generally, any DI you purchase is going to be older, and generally require more maintenance because of the age. In comparison to the DII, the DI is going to be less civilized, slightly more uncomfortable, however, it is a more capable vehicle off road due to the smaller size.

The DII, due to being newer, is generally going to be in better shape, and have lower miles. It is going to drive better on the street, and be slightly more comfortable. The DII suffers slightly off road due to its larger size, particularly its rear overhang, which is greater than the DI.

People have built many, many examples that have been trail proven hundreds of times. I believe, generally, if your considering a ¨Cheaper/Better¨platform, that the DI is the preferred route, specifically the two options Scott listed.

Play your card right, it is definitely a buyers market on these vehicles. Search online, and search various Land Rover forums, it may be more cost effective to buy a vehicle that has already been modified with some big ticket items. It generally does not add to the resale value of the car at all.

Wander

Expedition Leader
If you are looking at a (late) 99-03 DII check to see if a diff lock modification has been made. These did not come with a diff lock like the 04 did so that would be less functional off road. The 99-00 are easier to add the diff lock from what I hear-the 01-03 are more difficult. The DI is bascially the same platform as the Range Rover Classic's and still has things like a trasmission brake as an parking brake and greasable axle's and other bits. For both a good search for rust is a must. I would try to focus on non-sunroof, manual seats models to avoid two trouble areas.

Storz

Explorer
I've had both, a slightly modified D1 and my current stock DII. For everyday driving the DII is certainly nicer, quieter etc etc. That said, I am thinking about going backwards and getting an RRC

silvElise

Adventurer
Hey, he didn't ask "why"....

1 sounds perfect to me...

I found a decent 95 I think here is the brief:

I'm selling my 1995 Land Rover Discovery. Asking $2700 obo. Here are some of the specifics:
144,000 Miles
3.9 Liter V8 Engine/ZF Automatic Transmission
4-Brand New Kumho All Terrain Tires 245/70/16
Old Man Emu Lift Kit and Steering Stabilizer (no air shocks)
ARB Bumper with Brush Guard - not just a bumper overrider, but the whole bumper with brush guard assembly
Two Rear Jump Seats with seat belts
Mechanical Front Seats - not power (so they work)
Rebuilt Steering Box - not power steering pump
New Fan Clutch
Cold A/C
Radiator professionally cleaned
Leather Back Seat and Jump Seats in great condition
Power Windows - all working
2 Power sunroofs - both working and seal correctly
New Sunvisors - mirrors on both sides
All mechanical and electrical functions work properly. This car is a daily driver.
Head gaskets replaced before they needed to be at around 120K miles
KC lights in the front bumper
Rear taillight guards
Meticulously maintained

Bad:
Heater Core probably leaks or needs new O rings. Currently circumvented.
Front seats are pretty torn up so I have seat covers on them - seat covers come with the car.
Headliner needs help - drooping in spots.
Paint is fading on the hood.

Thoughts? Im worried about the heater core but like the mods he has put on.. from the sounds of it may be a member here

jbaggy

FlyFish Zealot
Congrats on deciding on a Rover...they are a lot of fun. I got rid of a Jeep and a Pathfinder to get to where I am today. Both were capable but LR's have always been the jewel in my eye.

Sounds like you found a decent rig. My advise would be to bring it to a certified LR mechanic and have him check it out before pulling the trigger. Check records and all that.

Personally, I am always wary about buying a vehicle with mods already done to them. I prefer them to be as stock as possible so I don't have to deal with the previous owner's "project" that got sideways. I had a negative experience building a track-oriented BMW M3 that I purchased second hand. It had a lot of the components that I was planning on putting on so I figured it would save me time and money. Over the course of two years I replaced the suspension twice, the clutch twice, went through 7 sets of race tires (not cheap for any car but especially wallet shredding for an E46 2002 M3), etc.....It was an expensive, frustrating learning experience :Wow1:but a valuable one.

BUT, the Rover you described is obviously much different that what I described. It never hurts to have a professional check out the rig first.

Back to your other thoughts on a D1 or a D2....I choose a 2004 Disco S (no sunroofs = more headroom, no leaks, lower CG, 16 inch wheels standard = more off road tire choices, lower price than the HSE equipped models). It had the CDL switch operational, was very clean, stock, low miles, and one owner with all records. I drove at least 7-8 different D1's and D2's before settling on my 04. I liked the 4.6 liter V8 more than the 3.9 for driving around town and general power (i tow quads from time to time so the extra oomph helps).

Also, I am a bigger guy: 6'2, 230 lbs, and the D2 felt a little bigger to me (and they are) so that was factored in too.

As you can tell, we all have our specific reasons why we choose what we do. If I were you, I would try and drive a few different Discos from various years to get the seat of the pants experience. Do more research and determine what you want from the Rover. My experience and needs may be completely different than yours or the next guy. I suppose the only universal thing I can say about Land Rovers is this: You will love every day with one. Oh, and get it checked out by a mechanic :victory:

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted!:smiley_drive:

Scott Brady

Founder
I would not be too quick to dismiss a 2004 out-of-hand. There are certainly situations where it is a better choice.

For me, the D1 was the only option, as I wanted a manual transmission.

Bishops13

Observer
D2's will fit bigger tires than D1 without trimming. Depending on how big you want to go, might be a concern. Trimming up the D1 is easy tho and not that big an operation.

D2's will also need front driveshaft replaced as stock they aren't serviceable and when a u-joint goes, lots o money as it'll take out more than just the shaft. Replacing stock shaft with a serviceable one or having the stocker rebuilt should be a priority.

Storz

Explorer
Lots of well deserved praise for the DI in this thread, but don't over look the DIIs ability as well. I've been really impressed with my DII. The traction control works wonders, the following video isn't mine but watch how well a totally stock truck articulates and goes through this section.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2dg2p5hLb0"]YouTube - Discovery II - Stock in the Box[/ame]

Stock LR3 in the same spot

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoowP95TCZw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - Land Rover LR3 Stock[/ame]

roverowner

If you ever what to do a diesel conversion, a '95 or earlier is the way to go. In most States, if it has OBD II, you have to do the smog test via the OBD system (and they don't like them 'fixed'). Just something else to consider....i'd have been screwed in AZ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste