Disco II Tire question. 18" Rims

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Well after having a railroad spike go thru the tire on the wifes DII It is time to get tires. These ones were close to done anyway. I would really like to put on a set of the BFG AT/KO. However with her 18" rims the closest option is 265 65/18. This is close to the 235 85/16's I loved on my RRC. I am curious if anyone else out there has run this size. If so what are your thoughts? and if possible pictures please (so I can show the wife) thanks!

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
You might need a bit of a lift with 265/65-18s on a DII, especially since they are almost an inch taller than the popular 265/75-16s that are used with DIIs (and D1s) with a mild lift. LR3 owners are using 265/65-18s with and without (albiet with varying success) a lift. If you really want to maintain a stock or similar size, and the same performance and durability as the BFG AT, I would highly encourage you to look at the General Grabber AT2 in a 255/60-18. I have bought three sets of them for two LR3s I have owned. They are fantastic. They arent LT rated unfortunately, but I have had them stand up to sidewall gashes and penetrating road debris.

My ex wife's LR3 is still on her original set with 60k on them. I had 40k on mine before I had to replace one because of a sidewall that did ultimately tear (I have no idea how I did it). So instead of having two new ones on one axle and two with 50% treadwear on another axel, I went ahead and replaced all four. I still have the other three good ones just in case I have to replace one later on (seems as if once I get 50-60k miles I routinely damage a one tire). So now I have back ups...LOL

Seriously, consider the Grabber AT2s. I was skeptical at first, but since there were not many options for an AT tire in relatively stock size for the LR3 (in an 18" wheel), I went ahead with the Generals. So far they have been great. I would prefer an LT load rating and a little more tread depth, but I still recommend them.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I have been looking at those. Everything I have heard has been great. They don't seem to do well on the larger pick ups but they appear OK for the SUV market. Any experiance with towing and these tires?

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Nope, I havent ever towed with them unfortunately. I see your point though, side wall strength could be an issue. If that is an issue, I dont think you are going to find a tire for an 18" wheel in similar stock size with an LT rating. So your options are probably going to be 1) get a set of 16" wheels or 2) install a mild lift to accomodate the 265/65-18s. Hopefully someone has towed with the Generals though...just a thought, since LR3 owners use that tire quite a bit, you might consider going over to the disco3 forum and asking the LR3 owners. I would post in the main technical section if you do, the US specific section can be slow.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the heads up. I have been doing some reserach and these tires seem to be great as long as you don't put them on a big truck (thus no LT rating, always surprised people don't look for that with 3/4 and 1 ton pick ups).

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
They do have some sizes with an LT rating. If you switch to a 16" tire you can get the 245/75 or 265/75 in an E load rating, but the latter will require a mild lift. So if you had decided to move to a 16" tire then I would recommend just going with the BFG AT in 255/70 (an LT rated tire). Anyway, that is splitting hairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles