Disco II TD5 Weekend Rig "Dexter" - My Overlanding Build from New Zealand

Wild_South

Disco II TD5 Weekend Rig "Dexter" - My Overlanding Build from New Zealand

Well well well, I am back in a Landy. After a spell away from the Land Rover life (my last one was 2 years ago - a Defender 110), I have returned with excitement! 2020 has been a funny year (for obvious reasons), but on a smaller scale, it has also been a funny one on the vehicle front for me. At the start of the year I was comfortably driving my 2015 Toyota Hilux (modified with a custom roof tent over wellside/tray setup and all the gear), but as the days ticked by I realised ute (as we call them here, aka a Pickup), wasn't practical for me. I missed the dry, secure storage of a wagon, and the security of sleeping inside the vehicle. Thus I started the hunt for a new truck. Not long after that I purchased a 1996 Land Cruiser 80 Series (1HDFT turbo diesel with triple lockers) which was an absolute gem. However, after a few weeks of owning it, I was offered CRAZY money, so I let her go. Mixed emotions still, but I did get a good chunk of cash. Back in the market for a new rig, I noticed a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II TD5 Facelift, an immediately fell in love.

So, here she is. A lot of mods have already been completed by the previous owner, but there is more to come! This rig will be my daily driver, as well as a weekend explorer. Stay tuned!

Vehicle:

• 2002 Land Rover Discovery II TD5 (Facelift)
  • 247,000kms (153,000 miles)
  • White Gold (Code 618)
  • High spec with beige leather, heated seats, armrests, electric seat controls etc)

Modifications:

• 2" raised front Terrafirma coils
  • 2" raised rear Dunlop airbags
  • 2" extended Terrafirma shocks all round
  • Terrafirma steering damper
  • 285/75r16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's
  • 16x8 steel rims
  • 30mm Terrafirma wheel spacers
  • 75mm extended wheel arches
  • Steel rear bar with tow points
  • Basic modified front bumper
  • Exhaust de-cat
  • Rear LED bulb conversion
  • EGR delete
  • Snorkel
  • Recovery track mount on spare wheel
  • Roof platform
  • ARB winch bar
  • Awning
  • Drawer/storage/sleeping system

Preventative and Required Maintenance (i.e: parts replaced)

• New sunroof motor and seals
  • New battery
  • New MAF sensor
  • New ACE fluid
  • Power steering flush and new fluid
  • New power steering pump
  • New thermostat
  • New water pump
  • Radiator flush and new coolant
  • Intercooler flush
  • New serpentine belt
  • New engine oil
  • New centrifugal oil filter
  • New turbo oil hose feeder
  • New top coolant hoses

Photo 10-09-20, 1 35 52 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 7-09-20, 1 08 17 PM.jpg
    Photo 7-09-20, 1 08 17 PM.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
  • Photo 7-09-20, 9 06 30 AM.jpg
    Photo 7-09-20, 9 06 30 AM.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo 8-09-20, 2 07 53 PM.jpg
    Photo 8-09-20, 2 07 53 PM.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Blaise

Sweet D2 :)

Sorry if this comes off the wrong way, but is there much in NZ to explore off road? I took a trip there in 2015 and purchased a 4x4 only to find out that there was nothing like the NF road system in the US and most certainly no proper camping (I forget what term NZ called it, it was a $200 fine per person if you camped like we are used to). We got off pavement as much as possible in the south island but it was still all well within the capability of the Delica we were using, even in 2wd.

mobydick 11

So you may be the guy to ask . I just found a 2001 disco 2 . it has 132,000 kilometers on it . Its been sitting for a bit but starts up and moves around . The owner just contacted me and dropped the price to 2,000 Canadian dollars because someone cut out and took the catalytic converters last weekend . Is it worth fixing a car like this ? they said lots of lights on in the dash too

rgallant

Adventurer
@mobydick 11 no do not buy it, unless you are really mechanically minded. A bunch of lights could be simple, ABS systems or could be a big problem.

Before buying any Disco 2 you need a code reader and to know if it ever overheated

In Canada a decent D2 will run 4000-5000 any thing under may have a bunch of issues.

Go here for D2 advice https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/ it is an enthusiasts forum but you will get good advice

mobydick 11

@mobydick 11 no do not buy it, unless you are really mechanically minded. A bunch of lights could be simple, ABS systems or could be a big problem.

Before buying any Disco 2 you need a code reader and to know if it ever overheated

In Canada a decent D2 will run 4000-5000 any thing under may have a bunch of issues.

Go here for D2 advice https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/ it is an enthusiasts forum but you will get good advice
Thank you ,I was thinking there must be an issue that made them park it in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior