Disco 4.0 to 4.6 Conversion

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I need to replace the engine in my 99 Disco II and am leaning towards a 4.6 rather than the stock 4.0. I plan to try and do the swap myself. What considerations do I need to keep in mind? I know there are some differences but can't recall. Engine mounts? Harness? ECU?

Thoughts?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Great idea to go 4.6 instead of 4.0. I think this holds for any V8 Rover, honestly. If you're going to the effort of a swap, go all the way to a 4.6. Anyway, I'm not very familiar with the electronics of the D2, but I can't see how you could go wrong just finding a donor D2 in a junkyard, or a cheap complete parts D2 that originally had a 4.6 and swap everything over from there. On the other hand, it's possible you may just need a different ECU and the 4.6 itself. Need the D2 guys to chime in here. I myself would post this over on Discoweb too, since once you get past the B.S., there's no better pool of tech knowledge on these trucks than there.

David

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i think all you need to do is use the 4.6 ECU. But you may have to have the ECU programmed for the vehicles security system.

Oxcart13

Observer
I upgraded the 4.0 in my 97 D90 with 4.6 crank, rods, and pistons. Went with RPI cam as well, but it's the same block so no change to mounts, harness, etc. To get full performance out the mechanical changes, injectors and ECU changes are needed, but not required. Take a look on D90.com for a host of good data. Mark

Paladin

Banned
IIRC, you don't even need a new computer. Just change the settings on your computer from 4.0 to 4.6. Not positive, but I believe it's the case. Just need somebody with Testbook, Autologic, etc.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i've read the ones put into the range rovers are the better ones to purchase.

but i can't remember where i read that.

just out of curiousity, what is the weight of a Disco 1 or Disco 2?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
the book on my P38 says the curb weight is about 4700. i have the 4.6L and it moves the rover with ease.

discodisco

Observer
No Idea

I had no idea you could "upgrade" the 4.0 to 4.6 so I appreciate you bringing this up and I will be watching this thread.

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
i've read the ones put into the range rovers are the better ones to purchase.

but i can't remember where i read that.

just out of curiousity, what is the weight of a Disco 1 or Disco 2?

I believe you are correct. P38 GEMS? Avoid any 2003 4.6 in the oil pump vin range for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94