Disco 3/4 Communication Radio Installs

Okay, so I know there is a forum specific for communication but I wanted to hear this direct from Disco 3/4 owners on installations. I am slowing pecking away at my center console customization and plan to make room for a panel mount Icom-4100 or even 5100 eventually. Since I am starting the process of my Traxide installation, I have just about the entire interior removed for wiring and plan to run antenna cables and such underneath the console and power wires to aid in installation later on.

I may go with Icom-4100 just because it is iOS compatible with my phone and Ipad for GPS navigation whereas the 5100 doesn't seem to have that capability. I find the ability to send data (pics, vids, etc. over the net is a rare need but useful nonetheless) so I will most likely stick with the 4100 but the installation should be the same.

From the wealth of knowledge here on our lovely LR forum, I think this is something specific to your brand on ideas for installation, antenna mounting, panel mounting, amp mounting, and most importantly, power and switching which can cause serious problems on our platforms if done incorrectly.

With that said, I'm looking to hear from all of you with Land Rover specific experience in this department on what works, what doesn't, and what you may or may not have done differently.

ishapiro

Okay, so I know there is a forum specific for communication but I wanted to hear this direct from Disco 3/4 owners on installations. I am slowing pecking away at my center console customization and plan to make room for a panel mount Icom-4100 or even 5100 eventually. Since I am starting the process of my Traxide installation, I have just about the entire interior removed for wiring and plan to run antenna cables and such underneath the console and power wires to aid in installation later on.

I may go with Icom-4100 just because it is iOS compatible with my phone and Ipad for GPS navigation whereas the 5100 doesn't seem to have that capability. I find the ability to send data (pics, vids, etc. over the net is a rare need but useful nonetheless) so I will most likely stick with the 4100 but the installation should be the same.

From the wealth of knowledge here on our lovely LR forum, I think this is something specific to your brand on ideas for installation, antenna mounting, panel mounting, amp mounting, and most importantly, power and switching which can cause serious problems on our platforms if done incorrectly.

With that said, I'm looking to hear from all of you with Land Rover specific experience in this department on what works, what doesn't, and what you may or may not have done differently.
I can only share my personsl experience and setup:
I own a 2012 lr4 and installed kenwood D710G in it.
I ran a dedicated power feed from my secondary battery(traxide install) to the trunk left side, where the 3rd row AC is. I installed the main unit in that cavity behind the plastic trim panels, right where the access door is. I custom built the bracket to hold the radio. I then ran the cat 6 cable in behind the headliner all the way to the front windshield area. This is used to connect the display panel to the main unit. The display panel is mounted on to the windshield.
The microphone and speaker cables are ran through the floor area under the carpet all the way to the front passenger side foot area.
I ran the antenna through the liftgate cable grommet and onto my prospeed roofrack.

If you are interested in more details I can snap some photos and post here later.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
My comms are pretty well covered in my build thread but for the sake of consolidation here I've had, at various times, a VHF/UHF, CB, and GMRS installed in my truck. Presently I have retained only the VHF and the GMRS units.

CB was the standard cobra 75 WX ST, mounted under the passenger seat with the antenna on the rear swing away. It was adequate, I just hate CB.
fullsizeoutput_130d.jpeg
VHF is a Yaseu 7900 setup. Brain is in the back left cubby with the display running up to the console where I've fitted the non-smoker setup to faciliate dual USB charging 12v outlets along with the face. Handset rests inside center console cubby now that the GMRS handset is in the little pocket on the console itself.
fullsizeoutput_146d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1453.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_147d.jpeg
GMRS is currently a Midland MXT 115, I'm waiting for the more elegant 275 to come out to give handset functionality akin to the Cobra 75, but in the utility/clarity/reach of the GMRS waveform. Radio's brain sits in the upper glove box, external speaker just above it, handset runs down to the center console.
fullsizeoutput_1deb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1e20.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1e1e.jpeg
Right now I'm running a single UHF optimized antenna (primarily using GMRS) off a motorized diamond antenna mount that lives on the prospeed. Switch for the antenna mount can be seen above in the console pics, just below the parking brake. Antenna placement on the rack can be seen below.
fullsizeoutput_1c96.jpeg
Multiple units, single antenna necessitated a switch that I installed on the back left rear cubby-it's absurd and not terribly elegant but for some reason I like it.
fullsizeoutput_1e1c.jpeg
An overall shot of the antenna while it is up. I have a VHF/UHF antenna that I need to find a storage location internal to the truck for but haven't gotten around to it given how much we're using the GMRS these days. In terms of wiring all the wires are tucked under the trim, as Victory notes-far easier when you have everything out to get it hidden away neatly. Power is primarily through the blue sea fuse box which I have located on the back right cubby door.
2017-12-27 14.03.29.jpg

Hopefully this helps give folks some ideas, I can expound more if desired.
r-
Ray

If you are interested in more details I can snap some photos and post here later.

Sounds exactly like the install set-up knowledge I am looking for! I would love to see the set up if you have some time to post up here or PM direct!

Thanks for the response, I think this is a good feed for many to follow who may be into doing some radio stuff on the 3/4!

@Ray_G

Great write up and placement. I too am removing the smoker set up and will be placing my head unit or something else in that area; depending on how the final console design fairs. Ideally, the position of your Yaesu is where my head-unit/faceplate would go. I plan to angle it down since I do not have the console and cup holders I'll have the extra space for that area.

I plan to run the antennas separate and no need for a switch but that is surely a clever idea. I've used military platforms in my past with all kinds of switch housings, some of which are for redundancy (multi-antenna/same radio) and some for selecting capability back and forth.

I am going to skip CB, although it has its uses, I have no desire for it. My primary radio(s) uses are going to be inter-crew communication and I want weather and emergency capability as I tend to run solo at times. My boss lets me carry my (GPS) personal locator beacon I use overseas since the service is on so I have that as a last resort.

I've seen a guy on the YouTube who is running a Yaesu FTM-350 and Icom-5100 panel mount in his truck and its a really nice capability. He is using the Yaesu more as a situational awareness radio for constant monitoring of emergency and weather channels so it's a bit overkill for my purposes but nice nonetheless!

Good stuff! This is exactly why I wanted to post this here in our forum!

Ray_G

Explorer
One of the great things about the MXT is the WX function; not that you can't get it with the HAM side of the house too of course but I like the redundancy as well.

Admittedly with the LR3 I have been trying to keep the passenger area fairly toned down compared to my D1...lest it end up like the inside of HMMWV or MATV since that's my comfort space too. By way of comparison, this was my D1 during VOT...as you can see you have handhelds, vehicle mount (hanging from rearview in the case of VHF/UHF, and multiple GPS setups and such. Since the 3 is a DD I'm trying not yield to the yearning
fullsizeoutput_ffa.jpeg.

JimBiram

Adventurer
2bd4c1cf56a6635491ec5de83c56f255.jpg
2546784e8a7b9fccd123f60fa212f3c4.jpg

Anytone Dual Band Radio...works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avslash

Observer
Kenwood TM-D710GA.

RF deck mounted directly under the driver's seat and wired directly to second battery of Traxide system. Control head on a Lido seat bolt mount attached to passenger seat bolt. Microphone attached to front trim panel of drivers seat.

Antenna is mounted to Prospeed rack using a Rugged Radios mount and passes down through hatch and enters truck through taillight grommet.

Only visible wire is control head wire running up to the Lido mount.

I seriously considered mounting the head to the winshield, but found it a little too distracting for my taste.

Let me know if you want pics of any of it.

DVD

Adventurer
I'm pretty happy with my set up.

bD7mIwr8wLgGMZaDW4kkZ1eyilEQ3pXAaZy8SZ3xJ9Zz_cLH0jYLgQFaAMGE7Vod9wFuYP-jnPWqWoKrL-DRM_mk39-kDML3ZN6w9yb9LnYWqm-xpk_9xwE_wxxL5waIpCAk7KBf51hze4WG-rQbvTCyBJfiTq4vZpdUujFaaWwnYLvNEMqF_NaVvUZudButXyfQzDfXljtpNFTbq18c_GNTF3qLq8TJlEwzA_FsHnZB5LT7OMuS3t1Kg2Ck6Qt-LMLkGkL-6I7sBo64xpMnnqWDfWMYsnwxS6fS8HhF7-ayi9hx6xpjEg_4Kuf4r07QowtfUQXCzYGQOsU-pYLdWizUvkxNPPMczpm3f2_t3K0BqExsmswyzcNsqkMRDzmO-X4wkHJ3xuDl3IHwOwuc4yGz0lXvML2dlo5N6kPJ6M3U5pubiS9n2B1iZIS1A-AibXb3pDo5AaOgPV5VHnc8R9kGbcjOGtV0MNjfvhwSvBLFPins_1NFL6BXMvZ3K-swAj7sIoxXR5UrMZQU1D8F9cqL9kOCYoDzOsQYwEb36DFwAKLiUUPXh6lNvsVXvpkigfRKjfKI9ATRN7by1jV4jnAxQ_hs2kwGpZ1iEcNs2z-oEUSlNTHtQqZkhBbdoaK4GJIiB5L-Skd_Jbf6ubtVhrz-lwf2IzcO2g=w692-h519-no

The radio body is mounted under the center seat in the middle row. We rarely use the 3rd row, and with this location, 3rd row passengers should have minimal loss of footroom.

2IRJ-pKh7iag2EunZcGbk5is-7RRcl1W4cIHSpYlaypXx6zZ5q_ZDpdPLxG0kqDvUXdzCfwVoDmXU70MHd04MH7vj-4xTPJ6vT524YV5zCYpidMjQivihKkKo-i09JmfPYWCmDSCE17ZeN88S-1YFzmK8gAMf5i1J5Eogp2L6IllvhSDTGa3PI5JEvKYYyxmsOT6vr5jLyCy6u20T433ojCF_DyqSWvGojd09oj4YsCKY793UnB6I3CdZwzlg1jIh1bVsoUI4W2-sDSVJE-Rq-jSmPhZgnd3MjJVZPGRgi1Yk84vaoEKqk1Dd5kjmin0hOW_YDtNgFxaGaT0HS5Za1u4n028u8KPkUb_x4v_z17oH2NMJrmauKWekUg-WtO_voVYNA63OOC0GJhIdQNFehxClDiH2tTMbjYutT2xdCVGJkPMDWcL05W7pvQUW0pkmgMs0s1FdGg0EEAcqFUBhzCBUmjDgNpNAcx-4XgibCl9HAUEjCyW3neep84x6JP1Ra7mYyh7FN-TO_KMjRZxznFGVwr1bXDO7guIjF1Zludw6njHfSVJJa3FBMKt5JHT-IovzSJAilBeUmOJHKSwt0JoegAp1jAnhsVkXQSJ9oI4C2gBX-VmjtnS2g355uI6DtSRtyXZwbpDw910Ebep5OZu9KPgU0S-ww=w847-h635-no

Head unit mount from the headliner, just above the rear-view mirror

AIrvfnO_GulyIz_FN3gPk9EzULWnvRNS_gXEy44WELhSLQD22dsAA5hSJ2gz-Eeyj9z-qQlK0Co8RvHm2Iz_fQktlDSaL1MoSZ50f_GfhaIPZAjnroRaNlIs5xMcb5VDmzRGfj6mFlcY_uJclXf8nzGNRNjfQz-CriSL6ggZfE_xm4MUhhLUc-EAHnYg1BMS_HbQHgTb3RpAmap-x5UQZZRUkdMCtOBANq_iJhWE0prAojyOj-XZRBPQtWeF1C-z49w-znuCDgj0b3aCPsh4Qup5Sn8Hyy16J75tZhvAHqNqeHiX44WoRB-YMNMdDqy0eYLWaFOvWU7TR3KmWAxfmwHmncaPAcMkQvtqzjrVhby6ucRVuRV_J2yoFahYt03kVI-mkedsjD3WIEoFjWFwkmf9CY79I07kPvYu46wwegGr-bAjp5bUvamsQLJ0uFIjb45eurgMYPpHPICF2J4oBJf3jblorimNKqdC91o9Mcu_1VK2Q70pdVnlTve1l7hmJZA0n9ux-CUi00ho5chiCGVhqE5jDrQnJM7Ebc6-B9tyHh_oC9BoEFpKUNJ6FHCU1CYK3Lts-ji1YhIrOljtXkUQauILkYjf6yMXVGvbJJhCLl4Jkt56lMPsBwpmaCaDkQRy8epmBnMHCnMOJzmcs-6lOIkMhz97ew=w847-h635-no

Extension for the handset, so I can have it easily accessible

v3wTzJZV8IH9Hl3w1hrNz1enErokQ85N1PFahrkQ-U5MGfHQixDKA4OT9fYSDHUuE1vBQyxTdLlC8-aeOINuK1Af_eQ3iO5VuCI9M5n-MQrcx7rr31mJ9gyOiGWIWhCnRioLdUL7xs0KiSTceotcQr1qCvPzPl4L0kKJNfX3hZ58d4uXt-1olcBVA01q-jFVlLOMJ9KQQSm_OT0Nksxp9OgdoeFpbEz0E5gWAy_gHIqW_bVDO4DnLPiGARVH0CgvnNnh__ZQs8EyxHNeU_y6VLGJomsg3D5Go7WzbPmk8z-yTwTGtw-uxEMn7TDWAnT5gRopPf7OYeqSxbLh6ys7rZzIijhnvpaLyhGWB88aOnqGqPJ-if-eBVfx8MqRn3ZZ05Aci6_UztjWBGw-kp7--VAFeN2ZzfcwQ6e-nmstXQKFs-tru5oEOH93IwFiNKl8lgp6VIQuzDlwmApR2SWtfkeYhYRHzr9QTXv2wtEZhSF8f5ry5VtUlhfV7Djle8GwWa1Gz-04IlhLfgIBBhLKGqWEwlhMgiy59HF2nJfSt6YRRKfaBV83L2aYCDIlAMsrsFMvNQnrNF2PXgW8j3BuhrRQWRsgCvvbrB_UaOXIWkshZO9sXcbft0-a8lFstl1JElpgCvRXBpVrqfS-nbdHKKzhy0a8qQ9j4g=w635-h476-no

I have the Traxide dual battery too, and I wired the HAM directly to the aux battery (so the radio can be on regardless of ignition)

ishapiro

Sounds exactly like the install set-up knowledge I am looking for! I would love to see the set up if you have some time to post up here or PM direct!

Thanks for the response, I think this is a good feed for many to follow who may be into doing some radio stuff on the 3/4!
Sorry it took me a while to get to it. Some photos of the install below. Let me know if there are any questions or need more photos.
33fa03e1bf69c34173f1313707a36b85.jpg
006fddb2f92858af2030f8af3e38b01b.jpg
8f0cac77025c42ea7f939001a58ec135.jpg
ace95afef9c716a0f7547a8bad9c52d4.jpg
3d140c140a4b1a73e98b2bb53f8d49af.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Put it into my build thread but will highlight here too; the Midland MXT275 is a good unit for our trucks since it has all the key functions on the handset.

In my case I back filled it it into the MXT115 mount in the upper glove box, but a virgin install could easily go under a seat mitigating the need for a cord extension.
779f376c033bc7b789df874d453378bf.jpg

a1ad01f63a79d2d4647fe6f40ad3db45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
This is how I fitted my ID5100. The main unit is hidden behind the back seat, speakers in each front footwell and the lapel in the centre console.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles