Disco 2 skinny 16" wheels - calling all wheel guru's

ds.willy

So, been following some threads on options for 16” wheels under 8” wide for a D2 fit. Specifically for the tire size 235/85-16 which is always specified for a 6.5-7-5 wide rim. I know there is a steel wheel (spare?) for the p38 that people use but is nearly impossible to find. So, killing time on the net I found the following for 2005-2010 Honda Odyssey.

7J x 16 ET50 5 x120 GVWR 5952 Center bore 64.1

The 2004 Discovery 2 spec is

7J x 16 ET57 5 x 120 GVWR 6064 Center bore 70.1

With the above, looks pretty dang close other than the center bore which is 3.053mm + in diameter edge to edge. Assuming this could be machined out to fit?

The 7mm offset difference would move the Honda wheel outboard 7mm which might not be bad and is very little.

Minivans are heavy too so the wheel rating might be in the ballpark as well with similar GVWR. These are on the internet for as cheap as $49.

Thoughts?

The_Hoff

My understanding (however limited) is that on-road car rims are generally not suited to off-roading. Might be fine for highway only use but I wouldn’t risk it off-road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgallant

Adventurer
I do not think the studs will pass through or the lug nuts will fit those rims. Disco stuff is pretty stout. Options are pretty limited for Disco II's, there was a steel wheel option but it is very rare, the UK would be your best be to find a set.

I found a few by search Discovery II 16 x7 rim, but they are not cheap.

Last edited:

Howski

Just run them on the 8” wheel. I’ve seen several with it and have not heard of any issues. Some people use steel wheels from 90’s Camaros or aftermarket steelies for a 7” option. I’d steer clear of any non-LR alloys though there some BMW wheels that will fit

ds.willy

Yeah thought about the 8" option but with 265/75-16 tires. The Camaro option is great except they use a M12 stud vs M14. BMW the same.

RR876

Is there anything wrong with using the stock wheels? They are generally very available as people upgrade to aftermarket options. If your anywhere near the SF Bay Area, I have two car sets looking for a new home.

Regarding wheel and tyre sizes that fit under the guards, I am running 315/70R17 (34.4x12.5”) under standard guards. I have trimmed the rear of the front arch a little, modified the washer bottle and have adjustable radius arms allowing me to move the axle fire and aft a few mm.

ds.willy

Stock is fine if you are looking for a wider tire application. Mine has the stock 18" wheels. I want to go with a narrower tire option (235/85-16) that specifies a 7-7.5" wheel. As I understand all 16" D2 stock options start at 8". Some use them anyway without problems but I would rather not for a tire specified for 7-7.5"

billiebob

Look for no name rims intended for winter tires. I found these for my TJR, 16" x 6.5" x 5.25"???? BS.
Any tire shop should be able to get them.

DSCN1610.jpg

JEEP RIMS 001.jpeg

With 7.50R16s.

DSC_0016.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94