disco 1 tdi in a US spec rover

bobtail4x4

Adventurer
I shipped a 110 over a few years ago for a friend,

it was stripped I think he rebuilt it and registerd it as a kit car?

I agree cut in half for the front end parts would make more sense.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I think bringing a whole vehicle in would be a problem for sure. Now, cut it in half, and call it "parts", and I think it's easier. I think this is definitely the way to go. Just buy the whole front half, and then you are assured to get every nut and bolt you need.
If you want everything you need make sure they stick the fuel tank in the front seat. ;)

But I guess it depends on time vs cost.
You can get everything you need, major component wise, on one pallet.
I got the engine, gearbox and all the engine compartment fuel lines/filters air filter, Radiator, intercooler, radiator support, frame engine mounts, all hoses, PS hoses, snorkle, a bag of extra oil and fuel filters and a few other things I'm probably forgetting.
So that left getting some common miscellaneous hardware and making a blanking plate for the fuel tank with a siphon tube and a return line.

For OBDII Rovers, I'm not sure the ramifications if you have emissions testing. That's a state specific thing. Another reason I like pre-96. :coffeedrink:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah... for me it comes down to not knowing exactly what all parts I'd need, and not having found somebody I trust on the other end. (not that I've looked, just saying). With OBDII, you start needing wiring harnesses, ECU's, etc. In fact, I think I'd need the engine ECU, and body ECU, since I believe these are "married" at the factory? Manual trans conversion at the same time would then require the clutch pedal assembly, etc.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
And you don't have a body computer. Or an engine computer. ;) No doubt the 300 is simpler setup. But I think the Td5 would be better suited for what I use the truck for. God know I need the extra power for my big ************* trailer.

piper109

Observer
Well I have just returned from the UK.
I bought all my stuff from the same guy on Ebay.
I finished pulling off everything I needed off the the donor vehicle which had been damaged in an accident and driven on a farm for about a year.
I even got the in-tank unit, the instrument panel and the pedal assembly with the clutch master cylinder, in principle everything needed to convert to tdi and 5 speed.
It is all packed up and crated in a box 1 meter cubed and in the possession of the shippers.
Hopefully it will make it through customs OK.

I visited my family members at the same time so the trip wasnt just for that.

Steve

piper109

Observer
300tdi Disco swap up and running

I now have a 300tdi with R380 swapped into my 99 SD D1 to replace the V8 and ZF transmission. Engine etc was removed from a 96 Disco with about 160 k but engine was rebuilt about 15k miles ago.
Apart from having a friend weld in the engine mounts, I did all the work myself unassisted.
It was relatively straightforward but if someone says they can do it in a weekend they are smoking some really bad stuff. It took me almost 3 days to get all the V8/auto stuff out. I did not count my hours but the work was spread out over 6-7 weeks, about 1/2 time.

I reckon my total cost was about $7800 but the 99 SD cost me $4500, very clean, no rust with 105k. I believe I should be able to get a good $1000 for the V8, tranny, ECU, Rad etc...

I have not yet done any tweaking on the injection pump but its bit slow off the mark with the a/c running. I want to improve the off turbo power a bit.
I made my own brackets and used the a/c compressor from the V8. I use a longer serpentine belt and only use 1 not 2 like the factory set-up. We have had temps in the high 90's here for the last 5 weeks so the a/c was high on the list.
The alternator died so I adapted a 100amp Delco from a '97 Saturn. That was easier and cheaper than finding the right Marelli in USA

I still have some electrical work to finish. Running the a/c without the V8 ecu
took some figuring and right now I have to turn the a/c off when I kill the engine in order for the front cooling fans to turn off. I have not yet got the power right for the cruise control but that should be simple.

I have a 3" free flowing exhaust at present and the wife does not approve. I may need to find a resonator to take the edge off the sound though at 70 mph its quite quiet.
I have only done about 120 miles so far so I dont have mpg figures. I'm hoping for at least 25.
I'm enjoying the 5 sp :sombrero:

Steve

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
If you didn't use your AEL fuel pump if it is in good shape I will be happy to take it off your hands along with the neutral safety switch off the auto box.

piper109

Observer
Not sure what you mean by AEL fuel pump. I have the fuel pump I removed from the in tank unit but it was a unit I bought at Auto Zone for about $100 a month or two back when the original died. Is that what you need?

I prefer to keep the ZF complete to make it easier to sell.

Cheers, Steve

piper109

Observer
This does not sound familiar so I'm pretty sure I never had one.
Mine is 99 SD GEMS 4.0 and there is no pressure switch on the pump assembly. It fits into the in-tank unit beside the fuel level sensor. Pressure is controlled by the regulator on the fuel manifold on the engine.
I replaced the pump with a length of fuel tubing for the diesel lift pump.

What you are describing sound like another model, DII perhaps.

Steve

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
On the advance evaporative loss trucks (mid97-99) there is an additional sensor on the fuel pump housing. That is why there are two seperate plugs on the pump unlike earlier Disco 1s without the advance evaporative loss. I am looking for the whole housing because I buggured mine up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94