disco 1 tdi in a US spec rover

junkyddog11

Oil Soaked Filter
you'll generally get what you pay for. I wouldn't come close to 10k for a complete install and I've done a pile of them and I'll be doing a pile more I'd suspect.
I do get to see plenty of really crap installs though (in the shop to get re done......some of them jobs that I didn't get the first time 'cause I was "out of my mind" expensive).....some of the stuff we see is hilarious.

Keep up with the EPA. The motor has to a least be the same year or newer as the vehicle being installed in. Tampering with OBDII is bad.

benlittle

Adventurer
Project proceeding...

I received an email back from the UT Dept. of Enviornmental Quality, Div. of Air Quality Mobile Services and Transportation Section

1. If the original automaker manufactured the car with the option of a diesel or gasoline engine, then this is allowed. The diesel or gasoline engine must match the make of the automaker. In your case you stated the diesel engine would be 1995 or newer being fitted into a 1995 vehicle without OBD II standards. This is fine.

2. The diesel engine must pass the "Inspection and Maintenance" I/M tailpipe test in the county in which the vehicle is registered. Thus you must install a 1995 or newer diesel engine in good condition, but be sure to have it tested for tailpipe emissions at an I/M service station.

So, the project is a go. I've tentatively sourced a white LWB 95 Classic for under 1k. I'm still waiting to get more clear/ detail pictures back. Appearantly there are some electrical issues with doors, seats, mirrors... Big shock. As long as it's clean with a spotless interior and very minimal rust, I'm down.

It will still be a 300Tdi with a diesel R380 and LT230. I decided I'll probably do 4.11's instead of the 1.4 box too.

Also my friends at GBR offered to give me up a couple axles which will be sewer capped. I'll start a build thread when I get going.

benlittle

Adventurer
Ben. Doug Shipman in Portland just dropped a 300Tdi in his 95 LWB. He absolutely loves it.

You're gonna love the truck, especially with the manual tranny. The diesel off-road is a dream. Just putt-putts over everything.

I spoke to Doug. His is actually a 94 but yes, he loves it. He did go with an auto box which he says he likes but I'm sticking with the 5-speed.

Red90

Adventurer
Project proceeding...
It will still be a 300Tdi with a diesel R380 and LT230. I decided I'll probably do 4.11's instead of the 1.4 box too.

If I were you I'd wait to change any gearing until after the engine is installed. The stock 1.2 gearing works well with a TDI, IMO. Overgearing them just makes them rev high wasting fuel.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
014.JPG

Everyone's Land Rover should have a sticker like this................:ylsmoke:

I disagree...

The sticker that is going on my SIIa will say: 3B-Ti :sombrero:

Anyway.... I think the 300Tdi misses out on one important thing.... lowdown torque.
I've got one, a D1 300Tdi manual, and I don't like that motor one bit. You really gotta build up the revs when driving off and slip the clutch or it just stalls (and this gets even worse when you got the aircon on....).
Even my 3B motor in my SIIa doesn't do that. Even on a pretty steep hill you can still do a hill start without excessive revving en clutch slipping..
I just like lowdown torque..

It is really fuel efficient though. I averaged about 11ltr/100km when loaded with camping gear, roofrack and RTT... that's pretty good!

revor

Explorer
There's a fix for the torque issue.. just bolt the turbo and goodies from a 2.8 Powerstroke on it.. Problem solved! All it takes is $$$ ain't it the truth.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I have a '97 disco unmolested. It has high mileage on the engine (178k) but the tranny is totally rebuild. I was wondering and I know there are places to source a tdi from and all the fixings to do a engine conversion. Anybody have a list? My plan is to ride this engine out until its finish and then get a tdi. Yes it will cost a bunch of money.
You'll definitely be interested in chatting with this bloke in South Carolina.
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f9/300tdi-kit-37858/

jrose609

Explorer
There's a fix for the torque issue.. just bolt the turbo and goodies from a 2.8 Powerstroke on it.. Problem solved! All it takes is $$$ ain't it the truth.

Keith, crap..........can you tell me what all is involved in upgrading to the 2.8 goodies? Will a motor with 100,000km handle the upgrades?

I keep thinking I'm done with mods then BOOM! Someone fills my head with more info! Crap! This is probably not cheap......

benlittle

Adventurer
That's the right choice. You won't regret it.

It's funny because I had a conversation with Marc several months ago which went something like this...."Ben: Who the **** would want a 5 speed...?".

Now, I'm dead set on it.

Blueboy

Adventurer
I think the 300Tdi misses out on one important thing.... lowdown torque.

this caught me a few times as well in various situations.

one time was in a parking garage where the exit ramp was very steep - keep in mind this was in Brasil where construction stds slightly different than here.

had to stop on the way out and upon restarting, there was no power at all until the turbo spooled up - just huge cloud of black smoke from unburned fuel!

another time was on a steep mt unimproved road. in high range as it wasn't that bad of a road and once again, had to start from a dead stop on a steep incline this time with a pretty heavy loaded Rover.

started off and quickly realized the same no power scenario so dropped to low range to get the revs up for turbo boost.

just something we learned to live with and modified driving patterns to work with the engine/drivetrain.

Jaime

JSQ

Adventurer
Have you people who are complaining about the three hundy stalling out in 1Lo adjusted your base fuel delivery on the Bosch VE?

I have no such problems.
The 300Tdi is no torque monster, but it shouldn't have any problems with hill starts if properly adjusted. Furthermore, if you're stopped on a steep hill with the engine off, you should be key starting your climb.

Blueboy

Adventurer
stalling out in 1Lo

just to clarify my comments - once I better understood the engine/drivetrain characteristics vs a gas engine, the Tdi performed very well for us.

for me personally, it just took me by surprise on how the Tdi performed without boost.

we didn't have any problems if we were in low range so agree with Jack that something else is happening if one is stalling in 1Lo.

Furthermore, if you're stopped on a steep hill with the engine off, you should be key starting your climb

which is a very cool and safe practice - really makes for a controlled start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz