disco 1 tdi in a US spec rover

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think the reason people aren't doing it to D2's so much is because the trucks are newer, there's less dead engines yet, people less willing to tear up a new car, so less "opportunity". Also, people afraid of the electronic aspect. Obviously the natural choice for a D2 would be a TD5 engine instead of a 300. So, now you're back into more electronics... of course I would think it was possible to do it using all the factory parts. Just get the front half of the truck with the computers, wiring harness, etc.

I've been dabling with the idea, but it's a ways off. If my engine ever goes, I don't think I'd put another Rover V8 in it. Whether it's a gas swap from something else (like an SBC), or a diesel, I dunno yet.

michaels

Explorer
Obviously the natural choice for a D2 would be a TD5 engine instead of a 300.

hmm i'd rather do a 300. diesel R380, LT230. or the 4BD1t like roving beetle.

I've been dabling with the idea, but it's a ways off. If my engine ever goes, I don't think I'd put another Rover V8 in it. Whether it's a gas swap from something else (like an SBC), or a diesel, I dunno yet.

if it goes while i'm in college, i'll put another rover engine in it considering i don't have a garage down here... but if it goes after, then who knows what will go in it. :coffeedrink:

D

Deleted member 9101

The good 'ole SBC always gets my vote

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
A DIY conversion will nearly always cost more and take longer than you think if you're buying the components piecemeal. I learned this on a Perkins 4.203 to SIIa conversion. Which is pretty simple compared to converting a Disco. Definitely the way to go to buy a Disco from a breakers and have it shipped to Savannah or Charleston.

When I got the 300tdi for my Defender, I lucked out as the guy was actually converting his '95 D90 to a V8, so I got all of the parts from the radiatior support to the gearbox. The only downside was that I got it when the dollar was really low.

If you have the money, even $10k isn't bad for a 300Tdi D1. For under $15 you'll have a really reliable D1 that should last you a very long time, especially here in GA where you don't have to worry about road salt destroying things.

If you go that route, I have a trailer and will haul it from the port for you in exchange for some stuff added to your container/pallet.

benlittle

Adventurer
I have the approval from my wife :D To proceed this year with a project. It'll be slow but it will happen. 1995 RRC LWB, with a manual 300tdi, 1.4 LT230. I'm planning on about 10k for the TDI swap and about 10k for the rest of the truck.

david despain

Adventurer
I have the approval from my wife :D To proceed this year with a project. It'll be slow but it will happen. 1995 RRC LWB, with a manual 300tdi, 1.4 LT230. I'm planning on about 10k for the TDI swap and about 10k for the rest of the truck.

is this gonna be little darlin' 2.0?

jeff_wright

Adventurer

Ben,
You just finished the DI!! Ha, are you planning on keeping the DI as well? Sounds like an awesome build project:drool:

jrose609

Explorer

Ben. Doug Shipman in Portland just dropped a 300Tdi in his 95 LWB. He absolutely loves it.

You're gonna love the truck, especially with the manual tranny. The diesel off-road is a dream. Just putt-putts over everything.

benlittle

Adventurer
is this gonna be little darlin' 2.0?

lol...nooooooo. That project was doomed from the start. Initially I wanted it to be something that it ultimately could not. I got tired and ended up butchering that truck. It was bad... just bad!! That's why it's not around anymore...lol

The 95 will be a totally different build.

I'll always have my SD.

benlittle

Adventurer
Ben. Doug Shipman in Portland just dropped a 300Tdi in his 95 LWB. He absolutely loves it.

You're gonna love the truck, especially with the manual tranny. The diesel off-road is a dream. Just putt-putts over everything.

Hmmm... I'd like to talk to him as I progress.

I should say too that all this hinges on whether I can get the damn thing licensed in Utah. I've been playing phone tag with the EPA for a week now.

jrose609

Explorer
014.JPG

Everyone's Land Rover should have a sticker like this................:ylsmoke:

jrose609

Explorer
Hmmm... I'd like to talk to him as I progress.

I should say too that all this hinges on whether I can get the damn thing licensed in Utah. I've been playing phone tag with the EPA for a week now.

Doug Shipman with Ship's Mechanical in Portland. Very nice guy. Very helpful. I can get you contact info when you're ready.

colvere

Observer
Currently Looking for a project

I am currently looking for a project here in Idaho as well. I found a white 97 SD locally with a blown head gasket that I can have for the cost of the new tires he put on it. I would love to do the 300 conversion. I also found a series III 88 in a pasture this fall that I may go after. I miss my discovery and never should have got rid of it.

jrose609

Explorer
I am currently looking for a project here in Idaho as well. I found a white 97 SD locally with a blown head gasket that I can have for the cost of the new tires he put on it. I would love to do the 300 conversion. I also found a series III 88 in a pasture this fall that I may go after. I miss my discovery and never should have got rid of it.

You should get that Disco. Definitely. Especially if it's a nice body and frame. Drop a 300 in it and it will be awesome.

If you decide to pass on the Series, let me know. I would love to get one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94