disco 1 tdi in a US spec rover

weatherm

Adventurer
I have a '97 disco unmolested. It has high mileage on the engine (178k) but the tranny is totally rebuild. I was wondering and I know there are places to source a tdi from and all the fixings to do a engine conversion. Anybody have a list? My plan is to ride this engine out until its finish and then get a tdi. Yes it will cost a bunch of money.

Any info out there?

Thanks in advance

Red90

Adventurer
You just get someone to pull everything from a wrecked Disco in the UK, or bring a complete vehicle over. Common, easy conversion. You need the TDI gearbox as well. The V8 gearboxes are different.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I have a '97 disco unmolested. It has high mileage on the engine (178k) but the tranny is totally rebuild. I was wondering and I know there are places to source a tdi from and all the fixings to do a engine conversion. Anybody have a list? My plan is to ride this engine out until its finish and then get a tdi. Yes it will cost a bunch of money.

Any info out there?

Thanks in advance

I did a conversion to a 2.8 TGV rather than the standard 300 tdi motor using a complete kit from Motor & Diesel Engineering in the UK. The kit was very complete and the motor had an adapter to go to the V8's auto trans. The whole thing fit and there was no cutting, bending, cussing, custom fabbing or otherwise. I chose to go the new engine route, rather than buying an unknown used motor and all parts, but that is a (comparatively) less expensive way to go...

"Yes, it will cost a bunch of money." LOL ! Glad you got that out of the way ;)

"revor" did a TD5 swap into one of his Rovers, if you want to consider something newer. It might be worth checking into, at least.

There are a number of outfits in the UK that will sell used bits. I tried dealing with an outfit in Canada, went round and around trying to get me to buy what I did not want - part of the reason I ended up going to M&D. Be sure you look into all the in's and out's of importing stuff, before you take the plunge, just so you are well prepared.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
We are doing the same conversion this week- a 300 Tdi into a '97XD. It is by far most economical to get a donor truck. The list of misc overlooked items can stagger the mind- if you want it to look factory. We are removing the ABS, and moving everything including fuel tank, lines, etc- intercooler to exhaust tip. The engine bay will actually look naked- even be able to see the fender wells :wings:

weatherm

Adventurer
Yes, it will cost some change for sure. I was thinking around the 5-7k mark.. fingers crossed :) like I said all kinds of money.

I want to do this b/c everything just mates up like it "should" and just put all the desiel stuff in. I know its not as easy as that at all.. any how to's or documentation on the process.. I've searched but no dice. I think the 200tdi is pretty much just drop it in and hook up all the fixings.. 300tdi i think there are mods but not sure.

Thanks for the link! there has to be more also... extortion prices here in the US :)
I love GA b/c there are no emission standards .. we have rednecks with plastic gas tanks sitting in the back of a old better strapped down with bungies running around town in full primer coats :)

revor

Explorer
Equicar in the UK can sell you the "kit" to put a new motor in your "97.

The 300 is by far the easiest, the TD5 just barely fits, and the conversion isn't for the faint of heart!

I'd love a 2.8 but the $$$ just aren't there for me, you can upgrade the 300 with the parts from a 2.8 for about $2500 shipped. Adding the VGT to the 300makes a world of difference I am told.

They have Puma engine for a Defender with the 6 speed :sombrero: I don't know if the shifter can be converted to work with a Disco though.

Nick4X4

i got a 300tdi disco here that needs a good home if your interested.....it would have everything you need and i dont mind if it's exported.

PM me if your interested

JSQ

Adventurer
I wonder all the time why more people don't do exactly what weatherm is suggesting.

Any Tdi conversion you attempt here in the US is going to cost you, but I can't think of anything more straightforward then buying a salvage EGR 300Tdi equipped Disco1 in the UK and chopping it for import. Add one clean NAS spec truck, mix and serve at room temp.

People are always trying to cram disco three hundys that they buy cheap on ebay into NAS 90s and suffering the consequences but no one ever wants to put one in a Disco1 like god intended. I think that a properly done 300Tdi NAS Disco1 would be far nicer and far more usable than any D90 hot-rodding.

You're going to be gambling with a used powertrain, but as mentioned above, at least you'll have all the pieces. You can rebuild and replace as necessary, but you'll have the whole puzzle. I but together the three hundy in my 110 one component at a time and it was like the scavenger hunt from hell.

This is probably about the simplest cheapest route you can go. You'll have your choice of wrecked trucks in the UK (preferably rear-ended) and NAS discos are cheap as well. I doubt you'll be able to do it turn-key for under 10K but you're welcome to try.

Take the leap of faith.

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
I bet with the right shop you could build up a 300 tdi disco for 10-13 grand on the high side including buying a clean 94-95 disco if you have to worry about emissions. Actually I was talking to a friend not to long ago about this and he said to do the exact same thing JSQ suggested and told me of places actually in the UK that will break apart a diesel disco and send everything you need over

Cost:
NAS disco = 3k at most
UK disco = 4k shipped
Labor to install = 6k at most.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
I bet with the right shop you could build up a 300 tdi disco for 10-13 grand on the high side including buying a clean 94-95 disco if you have to worry about emissions. Actually I was talking to a friend not to long ago about this and he said to do the exact same thing JSQ suggested and told me of places actually in the UK that will break apart a diesel disco and send everything you need over

Cost:
NAS disco = 3k at most
UK disco = 4k shipped
Labor to install = 6k at most.

10K? You could do it for much less as long as you are willing to do the work...

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1500162035.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1490062718.html

I see where you said at the top, yea $10k sounds about right to have someone do it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke