Disco 1 or 3rd gen 4runner

Sandcoma

Having a hard time deciding between two vehicles and need some honest advice.

Do i go with a clean 97 disco 1 that seems to have most “needed” upgrades? Love the look of these just skeptical on the reliability.
e1c9655514383f7f48c83daea6f00f56.jpg

Or do i go with what im use to a 97 toyota 4 runner. I know the reliability is great on these just dont like the look as much or the size compared to the rover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
So I've got a 96 5 speed D1, and I will say that I love that truck unequivocally. It has some phenomenal capabilities and tremendous character.

I would also note that I've had 3 Tacos (still have one). They are great trucks, much like the 4 runner of that generation, but what they don't do is give me a smile when I drive them nor do they have much in the way of character. A seriously great, reliable, truck-but just missing something special.

As far as the reliability goes, that is a facet of your abilities and desires to learn as much as anything else. As you note most of the right stuff has been done to that truck, it is in a year where it isn't particularly suceptible to many of the Rover woes (i.e. it isn't a Dii with the later year blocks/head gasket issues/frame rust/etc-nor is it a 94-95 D1 with the 14CUX that uses a dizzy that is easy to troubleshoot but-in my opinion-not aging quite as well as the 96-99 GEMS engine management.

Owning a D1 is an experience, and owning a 5 speed is an experience within that. If you want to get a sense of what that experience is like, click the Coyote thread in my sig line.

r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94