Disaster Relief Vehicle

KlutchInd

Forgot I started this thread. So the truck has been doing well. Put about 16k miles on it so far. Haven't upgraded anything mechanical, just six tires and four batteries, and basic filters and fluids.

I'm wondering if anyone has a line on a boneyard or someone who has a pile of ambo junk. Looking for the matching front push bumper. Figured I'd at least even out the look. Also have a piece of aluminum rear wheel well trim that is busted.

IMG_5266.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

huskyhauler

Adventurer
If you can't find a replacement aluminum trim piece for the wheel well you could probably find an aftermarket one for offroad vehicles. Just measure the size of your opening to make sure it'll fit.

KlutchInd

I've got one more resource I still need to try. But that's a good idea too. If I can't locate one that might be the path I take, thanks.

KlutchInd

Just got back from a little trip. This was the first time my gf (or fiance as she now likes to be called) and I spent more than a couple days in the truck. The back is still pretty basic. I ditched the cots for a really simple platform couch with hinge-out bed platform. It definitely needs a better mattress. For now using an old camper mattress with the cot foam under it. Ended up picking up a cheap air mattress along the way to add to it. Definitely made it more comfortable besides the gathering in the middle part. Sprang for a Yeti and some ice packs. Then packed us and the dog in for 12 days and 3500 miles. Overall it worked out great. It's got enough built in storage for everything besides our clothes and the cooler.

We started in Lake Placid on a Wednesday and drove to DC. Stayed in an airbnb for two nights and then drove to Sarasota FL on Friday for a wedding. We stayed for two nights in a rental with her family and then drove to Disney for a three night stay. Had never been to Disney before, that place is big. Then headed towards Nashville, stopped in Chatanooga for a night in a campground. Stayed in Nashville two nights in another campground and then one more night in a walmart parking lot in Virginia on the way home. Gas mileage wasn't great, less than 10 while averaging 70ish mph.

Need to work on a toilet and some water storage and a sink. Not needed on this trip for the most part but we hope to do more non-campground camping this summer. Loving the truck though. Just clicked over 43k miles on the way home.

KlutchInd

I know, I know...no good without pics. Here are a few I got of the truck.

IMG_5507.JPG
DC near the national mall

IMG_5515.JPG
Bodie the dog

IMG_5520.JPG
South of the Border

IMG_5569.JPG
Sarasota sunset

IMG_5642.JPG
Flagler Beach, FL

IMG_5691.JPG
Getting some inspiration at Ujoint

IMG_5694.JPG

Last edited:

KlutchInd

Looks like my plans have changed up a bit and I am thinking about selling this. I'm a little reluctant only because I've looked for a rig like this for quite a while but things change. I'll post up an official for sale but for now I'll post this here. Its got a little over 43k miles now and I've had no problems with it.

Last edited:

KlutchInd

Very cool! I was searching desperately for one of these before I bought my van in December. Does it have the 7.3?

Yes it's the 7.3. It had 20k miles when I bought it and I've put the rest on with no problems. Oil and filter changed every 5k and fuel filter every 10k.

KlutchInd

Now why did you have to go and do that? :p That looks awesome!

That was my goal. But we are working on a plan to spend a year on the road so I think we're changing gears and going to go with a different setup.

KlutchInd

Still have the truck and plans are moving forward. Bought a camper and we're in the process of renovating that. I just got a hitch installed and now I'm looking into the wiring. It looks like I have the factory brake controller plug up front but I'm not sure where the wiring goes after that. I haven't found any plugs in the rear of the truck. Any other ambo owners find wiring back there?

KlutchInd

So I've got the truck in the garage while I work on a fuel leak problem and wanted to revisit my trailer brake wiring. Anyone who has a Ford ambulance, have you found trailer wiring anywhere? I realize they're not made to tow but I figured the wiring would be on the cab/chassis from the factory.

TomsBeast

If you can't find the Ford wiring, just treat the brake controller and trailer pigtail install like a non-prewired truck.

Buy a controller rated for 1 or 2 axle brakes (depending on your trailer) I once made the mistake of buying an undersized controller for my old truck and 3 axle trailer. I burned out the controller in a couple years because the 6 brake electromagets drew too much current for the 1-2 axle cheapie controller.

Anyhow, controllers come with instructions for wiring them up from scratch, ignition on 12v, brake light powered 12v, is all you need to find underdash. The biggest deal is the brake output #8 or so wire from the controller box, along it the frame back to the trailer pigtail. Then deciding weather or not you want to charge the trailer batteries while the truck's ignition is on (I recommend this). Same with the rest of the trailer pigtail, simple stuff,, splice and solder into the existing tail light harness for brake lights, running lights, and turn signals. The truck's tail light harness is typically along the frame rail, underneath.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles