Overlandtowater’s solid axle suburban

Overlandtowater

Cut the ends off the transmission mount welded in 1/4” plate and installed the control arm mounts there this will make my links the same length and on the same swing as the drive shaft. I still need to play the sides but this a start. 9AA4D444-B68A-4098-B5BF-34F738FC2962.jpeg81E4181A-DEE8-4E0D-922A-9834E3DFFD03.jpegF6A417A4-0A20-4056-8757-1D8B5F756726.jpegA7BEBA2B-4645-4ACE-B2D5-294017E62A25.jpeg089C28E2-733B-47BF-AB2A-9C90655BB725.jpeg2F3A43FE-1AF0-4FCB-B368-4A8E58DD9381.jpeg43F744A8-7B20-4DAA-A9A2-DF9CD97D8B29.jpeg

ExpoMike

Cool project. Might I add a suggestion. Turn up your wire speed just a little. Welds look like they have a little "undercut" to them, which typically means not enough wire. Will make for stronger welds.

Overlandtowater

Cool project. Might I add a suggestion. Turn up your wire speed just a little. Welds look like they have a little "undercut" to them, which typically means not enough wire. Will make for stronger welds.
Unfortunately that is one thing I can’t adjust. I can fudge the voltage and amperage but not the wire speed.

blu88

lots of hard work on this post. I must ask, why not 1 tons? is it because that was available? Just curious.

this thread almost motivates me to swap my dodge axles onto my chevy. Almost.....

Dunezrunner

lots of hard work on this post. I must ask, why not 1 tons? is it because that was available? Just curious.

this thread almost motivates me to swap my dodge axles onto my chevy. Almost.....

Watch this video. He shows how the Dodge axle is almost as bolt on as a straight axle can be in the GMT800 vehicles. They can use our hubs which mean you don’t have to change your abs system either. This is a really well thought out swap.

Overlandtowater

Yeah we are on a first name basis!...LOL I was the first one to commit to the swap after he started sharing it with everone...so far it has taken me longer to complete mine than anyone else, I believe there are 6 on the road at the moment. @tahoverlandingaxleswap on instagram. Although I have done some stuff a little different than he has. He has started a business by selling part to do the swap also.

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

the cost of one tons!... I have 150bucks in the front axle that is way stronger than the oem IFS, and I can keep my abs happy by using the oem unit bearings and wheel speed sensors. also I could keep my current wheels. plan on keeping 33-35" tires.

but if I break it a 2500 or 3500 dodge axle will be a bolt in affair...my original plan was to use tons but the cost of super duty axle have tripled in my area in the past two years....

blu88

the cost of one tons!... I have 150bucks in the front axle that is way stronger than the oem IFS, and I can keep my abs happy by using the oem unit bearings and wheel speed sensors. also I could keep my current wheels. plan on keeping 33-35" tires.

but if I break it a 2500 or 3500 dodge axle will be a bolt in affair...my original plan was to use tons but the cost of super duty axle have tripled in my area in the past two years....

Are you keep the cad or are you going to run a solid pass side axle?

I guess my dodge v10 axles are more plug and play than i thought...

Overlandtowater

I will keep it I bought a cable actuator for it. At the largest 35s will be it. There is a local farmer that bought an off edition truck as soon as the were available I think in 2000 the same weekend he lifted it and put 37s on it. They use it as a farm truck. It’s got the same axle I bought 4.10s and a beefier housing than the regular truck Dana 44s. But he said all he has ever done was replace wheel bearings in the front and he beats on it. All of that to say with 33s maybe 35s later the d44 should be fine……. Now the 10 bolt g80 rear is another story on trucks the 10 bolt seems to last but I have already blown on g80 with just 33s on the burb.

blu88

I will keep it I bought a cable actuator for it. At the largest 35s will be it. There is a local farmer that bought an off edition truck as soon as the were available I think in 2000 the same weekend he lifted it and put 37s on it. They use it as a farm truck. It’s got the same axle I bought 4.10s and a beefier housing than the regular truck Dana 44s. But he said all he has ever done was replace wheel bearings in the front and he beats on it. All of that to say with 33s maybe 35s later the d44 should be fine……. Now the 10 bolt g80 rear is another story on trucks the 10 bolt seems to last but I have already blown on g80 with just 33s on the burb.
I ran 34 inch LTBs on my 01 Ram Sport with 4.10s. no problems, well except for the whole Dodge transmission thing...

Overlandtowater

SoI I welded the modified Barnes 4wd bracket on in the wrong spot after tacking it on and knocking it off to make adjustments to the bracket and being called out to work 4 times that day I was tired and rushed and instead of tacking and cycle the axle one more I just put it up there and burned it in. I’ll write it off as experience we’ll learned. I have another one on the way after cutting it back off it will be ruined. I was 5 minutes from being able to put it on its own weight. Yes the weld look terrible there but it was a couple on top of another and some burn through repairs. 3E594792-247C-41DE-8E5A-B7504297279D.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94