Overlandtowater’s solid axle suburban

Overlandtowater

yeah I hear that a common problem among GM's through all years. I would assume inadequate grounding and its building up heat.

I also picked up some angle iron and flat stock to try and make some ditch light brackets but I don't know how that will go if you look at the ones made for the GMT800s the bolt to the hood I would like mine mounted solid but there is not much room at all especially on the antenna side.

Reactions: rho

60beforetruck

I also bought a Kreg joiner and hope to put it to work on my drawer project. I know most go with plywood completely but has any one ever don't he sides of the cabinet out of 1x8 or 1x10?

picked up a harbor freight 3 ton jack also.... its nice not to stack blocks to lift the suburban with the jack that is now in the scrap bin, I know a lot of people go ape over HF but hey I'm a cheap skate and if I can get it cheaper so be it. I might try and make a Jack skid and mount for the back of the truck it should be a good, cheap and easy project. besides I don't want to spend $260 on one but I would like to have one.

I made my draw in my duramax out of plywood. Plywood seams to be a little stronger then using a 1 by.
I also think it was cheaper for me to use plywood because the way I cut everything.

Overlandtowater

Started working on my ditch light brackets. this is just a test run I will rebuild them when I get it all figured out. The base I will keep, the flat bar stock will need to be a little longer so I can make the bracket about 1/2" taller and a little longer after the 90* bend.

Attachments

• DSCF8971.JPG
    DSCF8971.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCF8973.JPG
    DSCF8973.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCF8981.JPG
    DSCF8981.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCF8983.JPG
    DSCF8983.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCF8985.JPG
    DSCF8985.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • DSCF8986.JPG
    DSCF8986.JPG

rayra

Expedition Leader
I also bought a Kreg joiner and hope to put it to work on my drawer project. I know most go with plywood completely but has any one ever don't he sides of the cabinet out of 1x8 or 1x10?
'dimensional stability' is a good reason not to. You'll get warping / twist / cupping, using planks. And 1/2" ply is plenty strong for vertical support elements. I've had as much as 800# on top of my platform / drawers build without any issue, drawers still worked with the weight on top, too.

Overlandtowater

started my up rights for the brackets they turned out good. Im further along than these pictures but this is all I had and thought I would up date. I welded these to the angle iron on the bottom the hole bolts through the hinge bolt and helps stabilize the bracket.

Attachments

• DSCF9011.JPG
    DSCF9011.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • DSCF9014.JPG
    DSCF9014.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • DSCF9015.JPG
    DSCF9015.JPG
  • DSCF9016.JPG
    DSCF9016.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • DSCF9009.JPG
    DSCF9009.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

Overlandtowater

primed getting ready to paint the base part of the brackets. going to paint them white to blend in with the truck. Yes my welds suck I'm a grinder not a welder.

Attachments

• DSCF9018[1].JPG
    DSCF9018[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Overlandtowater

also started my Molle panel system for the back of the sub...they are a little light weight but all I will be holding from them in a few fishing rods... and small stuff.... 1' x1' wire mesh panels made as a stack together shelf I found them at a yard sale for free. LOL the mesh is a little over 1" square. I but the large wire together with a sheet metal clamps and put a few 1" beads to put them together 3 of them are a little to large for the rear most window I will need to some diagonals to match the angle on the front and rear portion of the windows.

Attachments

• DSCF9019[1].JPG
    DSCF9019[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSCF9022[1].JPG
    DSCF9022[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCF9023[1].JPG
    DSCF9023[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCF9026[1].JPG
    DSCF9026[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCF9027[1].JPG
    DSCF9027[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 22

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
started my up rights for the brackets they turned out good. Im further along than these pictures but this is all I had and thought I would up date. I welded these to the angle iron on the bottom the hole bolts through the hinge bolt and helps stabilize the bracket.
I've thought about making these for my truck.

Overlandtowater

I've thought about making these for my truck.
yeah seeing as the only ones I could find for sale was $125 I have about $7 in material and 2 hours labor in them. Although I should have made mine like the ones I found for sale would have been much easier.

Overlandtowater

put a fatty on the back of any truck and it looks off-roadish… one thing I love about the suburban is I can have a work bench and seat and stay out of the rain if needed...

Attachments

• DSCF9034.JPG
    DSCF9034.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • DSCF9033.JPG
    DSCF9033.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 73

Overlandtowater

got the front end aligned today....took all of 15 minutes it wasn't out bad and all he had to touch was the camber... I hate not being able to do something my self but for 50 bucks why not.

Overlandtowater

not much been going on. lost the HP power steering hose made a mess, the AC delco part didn't quite match up but it works just a pain to install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior