Dirt worthy wheel and tire options for heavier campers

java

Expedition Leader
I have a 36 foot motorhome on a 2017 ram 5500 four-wheel-drive chassis. The coach ways around 17,000 pounds dry and has a gross rating of 19,500 pounds. The front axle weight is around 7000 pounds and the rear axle weight is around 11,000 pounds dry. I would like to go with tires I can air down for sand, preferably the dually configuration. Any suggestions on tires and wheels? For clearance I think the biggest I can go is around 35”. I’ve been looking at trying to go to a 20 inch wheel but have had trouble locating a solution. I was also looking at putting 2 inch spacers on my suspension for left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are a few 20" tires out there rated at just under 4k. Most are 35x13.5 IIRC. That makes duals hard. Your Going to get wide in the rear with that big of duals.

I went with beadlock 19.5 singles.

I'm at 14500 ish.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
for the weight i'd suggest military beadlocks (ie; HEMTT) that would have plenty of weight rating for your rig...but the real problem is tires that small with enough payload in a single. my rig and mattersnots are identical c4500 kodiaks around 14.5k total ... i am going to be mounting the same tires as him (g275 msa's 335/80r20) on mrap/jerrv wheels - he is on stazworks wheels. these are about 41.5" tall and they're actually the 'shortest' I could find with enough payload (around 6800 lbs each iirc)

to do singles,but only 35" tall ... i don't know if that beast exists but good luck

Last edited:

lettuce

for the weight i'd suggest military beadlocks (ie; HEMTT) that would have plenty of weight rating for your rig...but the real problem is tires that small with enough payload in a single. my rig and mattersnots are identical c4500 kodiaks around 14.5k total ... i am going to be mounting the same tires as him (g275 msa's 335/80r20) on mrap/jerrv wheels - he is on stazworks wheels. these are about 41.5" tall and they're actually the 'shortest' I could find with enough payload (around 6800 lbs each iirc)

to do singles,but only 35" tall ... i don't know if that beast exists but good luck
I know there are some all terrains that have a weight rating of 4000lbs. Is that not sufficient for a 14.5k vehicle?

java

Expedition Leader
I know there are some all terrains that have a weight rating of 4000lbs. Is that not sufficient for a 14.5k vehicle?
Totally depends on axle weights. Im just over 4k rating. But others of the similar weight run the 4k rated MTs. I ended up on 19.5 singles

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kcshoots

Toyo's Open Country 37x13.5"x17" MT and other similarly sized tires provide 4500 pound load rating, and many 35" tires provide 4000 pound load ratings, so it seems with Method 305 HD wheels also rated at 4500 pounds that a 8000 to 9000 pound tire & wheel load is doable if that is adequate for the load.

I am considering a new Ford E450 cutaway with 4x4 conversion and custom camper box with this or similar tire/wheel set up, estimating that my full build out weight will not exceed 3800 pounds on a corner, so this set up should work fine. Thoughts?

java

Expedition Leader
Toyo's Open Country 37x13.5"x17" MT and other similarly sized tires provide 4500 pound load rating, and many 35" tires provide 4000 pound load ratings, so it seems with Method 305 HD wheels also rated at 4500 pounds that a 8000 to 9000 pound tire & wheel load is doable if that is adequate for the load.

I am considering a new Ford E450 cutaway with 4x4 conversion and custom camper box with this or similar tire/wheel set up, estimating that my full build out weight will not exceed 3800 pounds on a corner, so this set up should work fine. Thoughts?
From my research, I wouldn't run a LT at max weight....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles