Dirt Sunrise: Tim and Kelsey get lost...

Lifeontheroad

Thanks for posting video! Looks like an epic adventure you are setting out on!!
I don't know that much about the radio you are using that can also ping your GPS location and track it. Are these radio's also able to be used for UHF and VHF comms? or do they run on a different type of band width?

Cheers,

Matt

Voyager3

Thanks for posting video! Looks like an epic adventure you are setting out on!!
I don't know that much about the radio you are using that can also ping your GPS location and track it. Are these radio's also able to be used for UHF and VHF comms? or do they run on a different type of band width?

Cheers,

Matt

It is a UHF/VHF radio and basically it has a Terminal Node Controller (TNC) and can send digital packets of information. Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS) wasn't really developed for tracking your friends in Jeeps and Land Cruisers, it just happens to also be good at it. The way they're using it for tracking is, it's taking GPS information and sending it as a packet by radio, bouncing from repeater to repeater until it reaches one that has access to the internet, like many weather stations. The info then goes through the web to its destination. You can also send short emails through the system which is kind of fun.

There are APRS enabled handhelds as well as the bigger mobile units, or you could also make a system with a TNC and GPS capable phone or tablet that can supply the data to a radio with an APRS app.

Last edited:

Voyager3

Thanks Voyager3, do you know if the tracking on the Dirtsunrise page (garmin) https://share.garmin.com/DirtSunrise
Is one that is free, or is that the function of one of the monthly paid plans that Garmin offers...?

I don't know about their Garmin platform. I'm sure they'll chime in. I think their Garmin tracking data might be through their InReach, not by radio. The radio is limited by whether or not it can can hit repeaters from where it is.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Thanks Voyager3, do you know if the tracking on the Dirtsunrise page (garmin) https://share.garmin.com/DirtSunrise
Is one that is free, or is that the function of one of the monthly paid plans that Garmin offers...?
That tracking is via Garmin. If you check the aprs.fi page and search for my call sign KE7VGO you can see the tracking that the radio offers. It was REALLY good until we hit baja and then almost nothing except when we pinged off a tower in San Diego while midway down baja. Now we are in the mainland and it looks like there are some HAM's over here so I'll turn the radio on this morning and see if we start pinging again. The Garmin tracking is via the Inreach. Sort of expensive, but I like that I can send 2 way messages in a pinch.

I don't know about their Garmin platform. I'm sure they'll chime in. I think their Garmin tracking data might be through their InReach, not by radio. The radio is limited by whether or not it can can hit repeaters from where it is.
Thanks buddy!

KMM

Kelsey_DirtSunrise
We stick to the mountains of Baja to avoid the crowds and stay cool until we're further south. ?
1f601.png

BigDawwg

-[Gettin-it Done]-
Hey you guy's,,,,, just thought I'd say hello, I've been following your progress from the "Start",,,,, Good-Job, anyway I did this Trip-Down in 2000, in my -[79 CJ-7 GoldenEagle]-, as pictured in my "Avatar", and came back in 2001, lived on a Buddies Sail-Boat in Cabo,,,,, did a lot of Diving, both Scuba, and Free-Style,,,,, and drank my fair share of "Cerveza" :cool: ie... Una-Mass,,, PorFavor,,,,, points of interest for you, don't miss Spending some time on the Gulf-Side,,,, ie... Loreto, and La Paz, the Best Diving is with-out Question, the Gulf-Side,,,,,,, Ok then, you guy's take care and be SAFE.!!! >>> and with-out Fail,,,,, WATCH your Six, don't take anything or anybody for GRANTED.
Thats my Story, and I'm Sticking to it. :cool:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Hey you guy's,,,,, just thought I'd say hello, I've been following your progress from the "Start",,,,, Good-Job, anyway I did this Trip-Down in 2000, in my -[79 CJ-7 GoldenEagle]-, as pictured in my "Avatar", and came back in 2001, lived on a Buddies Sail-Boat in Cabo,,,,, did a lot of Diving, both Scuba, and Free-Style,,,,, and drank my fair share of "Cerveza" :cool: ie... Una-Mass,,, PorFavor,,,,, points of interest for you, don't miss Spending some time on the Gulf-Side,,,, ie... Loreto, and La Paz, the Best Diving is with-out Question, the Gulf-Side,,,,,,, Ok then, you guy's take care and be SAFE.!!! >>> and with-out Fail,,,,, WATCH your Six, don't take anything or anybody for GRANTED.
Thats my Story, and I'm Sticking to it. :cool:

Muchas gracias!! That sounds perfect! Unfortunately, it was just the wrong time of year right now. HOT. I've never been on the gulf side Loreto south so on our way back up I'm thinking we'll stick to the gulf side assuming it's not mid summer when we head back. Looking forward to a LOT more successful spearfishing! :LOL:
Over in Guadalajara now headed to the town of Tequila tomorrow... because of course we are! :)
Cheers! (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles