Dino hunting 1995 LS build

brad2274

Adventurer
Long time lurker in central FL here, would like to document my build better since its ramping up this year

1995 LS i bought a few years ago with 160k, now at about 220k

Exterior:
  • Garvin Expedition rack for land rover discovery, brackets modified.
  • Hella halogen roof lights, double relay wired.
  • Land rover Discovery rear Ladder. (DIY will post soon, i took pics)
  • ARB bumper off a ZJ cherokee, modified to fit, still needs more trimming.
  • Pro comp steel 15s with Cooper Discoverer 31.5s
  • Some crud paint thats being replaced atm
  • Ebay rear tire cover
  • Snorkel also from ebay
Interior:
  • Altimeter/Inclinometer triple pod, junkyard altimeter and ebay for new incinometer
  • Generic bluetooth stereo
  • Pioneer shallow mount sub with amp hidden under middle row
  • Fire extinguisher in rear pillar
Engine:
  • dodge/3000gt 120 alternator, stamped mitsu, Autozone with lifetime warranty (you just swap pulleys, and maybe one longer bolt i forget)
  • K&N
  • Retrofitted AC fan mod
  • Bad valve guides and piston slap
In Progress:
  1. OEM rear locker axle assembly from 95 SR with all the parts needed, redoing seals now
  2. Siberian bushings in rear during swap
  3. Body work for new Toyota Quicksand tan paint job, patching small dime sized rust and few dents.
  4. Sunroof rebuild (basically done)
  5. Frame sealing and coating, powder coating front bumper.
  6. Rebuilt 3.0 with mildly ported heads.
Those things are all basically being done right now, simultaneously, parts are coming in every week and i fit in what work i can on each around school.
Here's a few things i have planned once those items are close to done.

• Toyota SC-14 Supercharger, on a switch with additional injector (i really like the 3.0 motor, did not want to take on a big swap but would like to try something different and potentially still keep my mpgs decent)
  • Custom cupholder 3d printed or laser cut in center console, and drink/snack holder in passenger dash recess.
  • Rear door table
  • Toyota steelies, 15in with 33s or 32s
  • Pajero Evo seats
  • Custom rear taillight guards
  • Custom Jerry can mount
  • Roof rack add ons
  • Winch of course
  • real mudguards
  • Well visors
The plan with this truck is just to have a decently capable camping/overlanding/work rig, while keeping it visually akin to what a mid 90s 4wd might look like, thus the lack of LEDS n old steelies going on soon, i want the skinnier 4wd look back. I actually use this truck for field work on fossil digs, potentially some out in Montana and Wyoming soon, so it needs to take some abuse and stay reliable. The whole Jurassic park thing kinda started as a joke because when i did the tan/white scheme i thought it looked like itd be on set in the 90s out on a trail, so i bought some stickers and everybody loved it since. Might do it again with the fresh paint next month but i have some other schemes im considering too.
Ill be posting some of the current projects here soon and maybe DIYs in their own threads.
I've been lurking here for years just haven't done a build thread, i'm in the different FB groups and such

Any tips and advice appreciated, power adding fuel advice and old taillight guard pictures would be useful atm.502502502503502504

Last edited:

brad2274

Adventurer
The other day i rebuilt the original cluster, fixing the bad tach with a 1998 tach. I also swapped the light dispersion back and also the needles from the 98. Installed with LEDs only on the number spreads, works great! Btw meguires plastx polish works great for removing cluster lens scratches.

mtnblue

Observer
Is the 98 instrument cluster just a bolt in to a 95? I hate the orange color of the gauges, as I cannot see them during the day with my sunglasses on.

brad2274

Adventurer
Finally doing some serious mods and maintenance, rear locking axle from a 95 SR. Siberian bushings, Bilsteins, timken/oem seals, and Moog u joints. POR15 on housing and frame.

Made block off plates for the rest ABS sensors that I don't have, hoping to get the axles and driveshaft in today, along with fluids. Still need to run interior electric for pump

brad2274

Adventurer
Few things going on, SR locking axle swap was a success, only hickup is that for some reason i need a longer air hose for the pump to properly mount it, going to change breather hose too. But i was able to try out the locker at my testing spot, worked like a charm! Truck it came off of had been maintained very well, and i'm pretty sure someone recently had done the whole rear end as all seals and bearings did not appear to be oem, looked pretty nice too.512490

Then i had the dreaded middle seat issues, somehow the latch levers went past the pins, was a bear of a job, had to unbolt bench from rails but eventually repaired it. No broken cables.

had to get in there to access the locker pump mounts, which surprisingly the LS has nearly none of them, yet has all the wiring for the swap.

brad2274

Adventurer

It looks more green in the photos, but in the truck it matches much better. Couldnt install those scuffed up panels, and anything close to matching is a win for me, might even do the rest of the interior to match but i dont care that much. Matte rustoleum camo brown with clear satin water based poly acrylic over top, makes the finish nearly oem with protection and less stink

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles