Dimensions of the JK 3.8 V6?

reece146

Automotive Artist
There's adapters for the 4BD: GM and Land Cruiser.

The 4BT is out IMO for the reasons stated.

I don't think the VW is enough engine. IIRC there is a 5 cylinder version that was used in Volvos... or was it VW T2s... something like that... those synapses that retain the info burned out long ago so I may be muddling information.

Land Cruiser diesels? HZ /HD is legendary.

I like the OM engines. If you can make it fit...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan... don't you need a JK first? ;)

And 33s are fine. I'll go 35s this time around, but I never had any issues with my 33s on my 07 JK.

Very true :)

These plans are still a little ways off, but it's nice to plan/dream while saving.

With luck, I'll find a 2007-2010 JKU Rubi with a dead 3.8, so it's a swap candidate immediately.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
There's adapters for the 4BD: GM and Land Cruiser.
Thanks for the input, good to know.

The 4BT is out IMO for the reasons stated.
Also worth noting they're getting good mileage... maybe I need to drive one for a few hours before fully ruling it out.

I don't think the VW is enough engine. IIRC there is a 5 cylinder version that was used in Volvos... or was it VW T2s... something like that... those synapses that retain the info burned out long ago so I may be muddling information.
Agree on the 1.9. I'll look into the 5-cyl and see what I can dig up. Again, I have to wonder about high sulfur diesel.

Land Cruiser diesels? HZ /HD is legendary.
True, but I figure if I go that road, I'm just going to hear over and over and over again, "Why no just drive a Land Cruiser"? (which is a valid question).
Especially because I'm from Australia, I could just buy one and be done with it... but... it's a Jeep thing :D

I like the OM engines. If you can make it fit...
Yep. It's a shame the JK never had a straight 6 in it...
I'll need to do some accurate measurements before I make a decision.
If the 6 cyl won't fit, I have to think the 5 cyl will. It's a shame it was never offered in North America, though I can get one cheap enough from Europe.

-Dan

reece146

Automotive Artist
Did I see you were currently in YK?

'98 diesel Gwagen import... Would be cheaper than buying/building a Jeep. HZJ100 at that point too...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Did I see you were currently in YK?

'98 diesel Gwagen import... Would be cheaper than buying/building a Jeep. HZJ100 at that point too...

yep, I'm in the Yukon right now, still have Australian passport and drivers license.

Yes, absolutely I could buy something like that and be set.

I could also go back to Australia and be done with -40C 8 month winters
I don't want to.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I forgot to mention two more possibles.

Cummins B3.3
All mechanical, would fit, light, adapts to AX-15 (likely NSG 370 too), ~215 ft. lbs.

Cummins QSB3.3
Essentially same thing, with computer control for more power/torque. Downside is computer control for my needs.

Both options are interesting, as I think a 3.3 is more in-line with what I need rather than 3.9.
They are not automotive engines, so likely not the best drive-ability.

Still researching and learning

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Still thinking, learning and brain dumping.

We know the 4BT fits into the JK... I'm trying to find good pics that show the length from the conversions people have done... it looks like there are at least a couple of inches to spare.
(ie http://www.jeffsjeepyard.com/jeep-photo-gallery/uploads/4/full/44.jpg looks really good, as does http://www.jeffsjeepyard.com/jeep-photo-gallery/uploads/4/full/47.jpg)

4BT: (from official spec sheet)
Length: 30.6"
Width: 24.6"
Height 37.7"

OM606T: (From a guy who has one on a stand right now)
Length: 31"
Width: 23"
Height:27"

I would hope to find the extra 0.4" in length...
the 10" less height bodes well for oil pan/axle clearance without needing a stupid big lift.
I doubt width will be a problem, as it's narrower than the 3.8 by 3"

Hmmm.

-Dan

reece146

Automotive Artist
I've heard/read the B3.3 is a decent, smooth engine. I don't know if it has the torque curve required for an over the road vehicle though. Might be a touch small for a JK?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I've heard/read the B3.3 is a decent, smooth engine. I don't know if it has the torque curve required for an over the road vehicle though. Might be a touch small for a JK?

Yep, it might be on the small side, though like I said, I'm not looking for monster power/tq.

B3.3
HP: 75-85
TQ: 193-215 ft. lbs.

QSB3.3
HP: 90-110
TQ: 274-304 ft. lbs.

I think the OM606T is till on the top of my list

-Dan

reece146

Automotive Artist
Those are decent numbers for the QSB but I'd want to see the actual torque curve.

That said, it's a diesel... will probably look like every other diesel tq curve.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Those are decent numbers for the QSB but I'd want to see the actual torque curve.

That said, it's a diesel... will probably look like every other diesel tq curve.

Page 5 http://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/4087118.pdf

Strange to see the torque curve has such and enormous spike like that.. I assume because it's for 'industrial applications' it's tuned to be optimal at one rpm (1400).
I imagine that can be changed.

-Dan

reece146

Automotive Artist
Yeah, to be such a sharp change I'll guess it is related to some kind of fuelling control built into the pump/PCM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles