Dilemma of which to KEEP.... Wrangler or Grand Cherokee

twiisted71

Adventurer
3 things to consider

JK will hold higher resale longer term.

How much hard off roading do you do? The JKUR can do 'bigger' stuff, and get through smaller spaces unscathed, not to mention those 'nifty' plastic bumpers front n rear on GCs (a trend I really hate)

If you keep long term and wheel often, which do you think will hold up better and which would you rather repair/upgrade as needed.....and with time it will be needed.

I like both vehicles but after being in my friend's JK a very short period of time I felt claustrophobic, but I'm used to CJs, YJs, TJs, early Broncos, and full-sized vehicles. I'm sure I wouldn't notice the 'high' dash and door sills, and wide B-pillar after living with it a while.

except take the top off, add 35's and well about a thousand other things... I had a wk with a semi and it was fun except I never wanted to get it scratched up stuck in mud, take the dogs in it, ...... on my wrangler eh no problem

geo.greg

Observer
for me, i have aging parents that cant climb into a wrangler the GC was really my only option. it takes me where i want to go in a nice rattle free somewhat quiet enjoyable ride. hard choice.
jeep clift.jpgimage.jpg

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I also have aging parents and an aging dog. The dog is the one I'm concerned about. My parents wouldn't want to be in my Rubicon. I did a test drive of the GC Altitude. Such a beautiful car. Makes my Rubicon feel like it was driving on train tracks with wooden wheels. However I did not feel any enjoyment driving the GC. It feels like every car or SUV. I would love to drive one to Colorado but would want my Rubicon once I got there. I think the GC is too nice and too boring for me. They sure are nice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lysol

Explorer
Still running the Grand Cherokee and the JK. The GC has 50k miles and the JK has 20k and both are still going strong. The V8 in the GC is definitely fun to drive... though we havent towed anything in a couple years to really need it. I daily drive the JK and its just fun to drive. Granted I dont drive very fast, but its still just.... fun. We have had the GC for 3 years now and dont plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. The water pump and some rattles are the only thing we've had issues with it. The power steering pump makes noise but it still works so meh. In the back of my mind though I wonder about the reliability of the air suspension. Time will tell I guess.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
If I didn't love top down then the GC would probably be my SUV of choice. The Wrangler is a completely different animal. I know the Rubicon can't be beat for what it does. For my life with a dog that sheds a ton, I think the Rubicon will stay as my DD. It has plenty of the creature comforts and is a way more fun vehicle to drive. Even though it can be somewhat annoying. I know I would treat the GC like a car and baby it.

Last edited:

DallasJKU

Adventurer
^^^^As many things as I said I didn't like about the GC, I find myself leaning towards trading my Rubicon and getting a GC. The Rubicon fits my lifestyle better probably, but I am starting to not love having a highly modified vehicle. I have poured tens of thousands of dollars into my vehicles only to sell them later. I think I have grown out of the modifying days now. I will miss the Rubicon if I trade it in, but I think a more comfortable ride and easier access for my current senior dog is what I need right now. I love being able to not care about a vehicle like I can with the Rubicon, but I find myself not wanting to drive longer distances in it. Maybe a Trailhawk that is more in the price range and the look is growing on me. Such a hard decision. Lots of research to do.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
DallasJKU, I agree, going crazy with everything is silly. But useful mods, and keeping the rigs stock looking are cheaper, easier and more usefull all around. My JK is modified perfectly for how we use it. NO massive lifts, No massive tires, no heavy bumpers etc. Same with our patriot. No crazy stuff. Just useful mods to make it better in all conditions. Having a GC with 2" lift would be perfect all around crusier.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I posted on 3/10/16 at 11:05pm and 3 hours later I had to rush my buddy to the ER. McCoy was diagnosed with Lymphoma and liver cancer. It was a complete kick in the nuts. He couldn't get off the ground at around 2am so I rushed him to the ER. Tests have showed nothing for months and even Friday morning. They did an ultrasound and found many tumors. I brought him home and started steroids, but by Sunday he was eating less and struggling so I decided I wasn't going to let him suffer. I could have probably got 2-4 weeks out of him, but I wasn't going to take a chance even though his face said he was ok. On Tuesday, morning I put him down.

I no longer have a senior dog or a reason to really own a Jeep. I didn't buy it to rock climb. I wanted to get into the rock crawling, but nothing is close to me and driving the Rubicon long distances is not fun for me. I bought Wranglers because my dog and I loved top down days. I spent tons of money on mods over the years because it looked awesome. I am now going to close that chapter of my life I think and sell my Rubicon. I want to get a puppy again and travel the country. The Rubicon is not the best for that and I think a GC would fit that bill nicely. I think the Limited is probably the best combo for me, but was wondering if a Laredo would be enough.

Last ride to vet. He hadn't stood up in Jeep in over a month.

ebfa52948e8f462b68b454e3b146443c.jpg

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
Sorry on the loss of your friend. I've been there more than once and it's never easier.

As for your vehicle choice: I would have done the same. I sold my JK for a GMC truck and never regretted it. I liked being able to go off road, but the ride comfort and space as well as 4x4 properties of the truck made up for it easily.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Man, I know how hard loosing your adventure buddy can be. I went through the same thing in 2014. (the dog in my avatar) My feeling is that you get one dog in your life that is the most special/amazing... and you know when you have it. It really hurts when you know that it's gone. I went through the same emotions that you're feeling right now. I didn't wheel or explore for 2 or 3 months. (I used to get out at least 3 times month) But, slowly, the desire to explore came back. We got a puppy. She will never "replace" my sweet old girl but she is a new and fun side kick. There were times where I wanted to sell my rig but now I'm glad I didn't. It's funny when I think about all the adventures, states and calamities that I've experienced in it... just looking at the scratches, mods and dirt is like looking back in time. I'm rambling but my point is, give time a little chance to heal. Maybe after a few months, when the warm weather comes back, you'll feel like having a memorial "top down" day, thinking of warm memories. Just my two cents.

really sorry to hear it.

lost my golden about 2 months ago and my female bernese 4 years ago I have new partners now another golden and another bernese. if it helps go with the one that suits you best. your dog doesn't care the just want o be with you. maybe in a few months you'll feel differently and get another friend.here is sierra ring shotgun. My wife won't even ride in my jeep!sierra  in jeep.jpg

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Well I was pretty devastated after Tuesday, but I began searching immediately for a puppy. I'm just meant to have a dog at all times. I wanted to find another frisbee buddy. His dad looked very much like my last buddy and that is what sealed the deal for me. He was born on Christmas Day so I named him Nick.

f20632d422aa462fea9fd51fff2897f9.jpg

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about your loss. I've been there a few times and it's never easy. Losing your buddy is like losing a part of you, but think of the amazing memories you all shared and know that he's looking after you. I'm sure you'll make some great memories with Nick. Wait some time before making a decision on the a Jeep, you may not be in the best frame of mind to make a big decision like that. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94