Dilemma of which to KEEP.... Wrangler or Grand Cherokee

DallasJKU

Adventurer
you'll miss the rubicon but not the grand

Well I decided not to get the GC and decided to replace the Sport with a loaded Rubicon that has leather, heated seats, NAV, premium sound and all the Rubicon goodies. The hardtop even came with the MOPAR headliners. I decided not to lift it, but still run 315 tires. I feel like I have the capability of a Rubicon with the plushness of the GC. Of course it doesn't ride like a GC, but it rides pretty nice for 35's. I spent more for this than I would have for a GC, but I knew I would never like the GC long term.

80a0be527766ede5f696d3ec6d5bfa19.jpg

506d14eb8cc099de7afd81a714539979.jpg

wanabxtrm

Observer
In the end after many life changes, the most recent being a baby girl were trading in the WK for a sequoia. So if anyone's looking for a WK CRD I can point you in the right direction for one.

Cheers...

MOguy

Explorer
I have been off-roading for a while but new to this overland thing, in fact so new that my first overland adventure won't be until the end of this month. When I read up on overlanding the issues that come up over and over and over are dependability and maintainability. The GC has allot of gadgets that can go down.

I have a TJ and had an older GC, I do understand what you are saying about comfort but the GC just has too much stuff on it that could fail. I work with a guy that has a newer JK and back trouble. He got some high speed suspension seats and has no issues with it. If I were keeping the vehicle for three years or so and running it up and down the interstate I would feel differently.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I have been off-roading for a while but new to this overland thing, in fact so new that my first overland adventure won't be until the end of this month. When I read up on overlanding the issues that come up over and over and over are dependability and maintainability. The GC has allot of gadgets that can go down.

I have a TJ and had an older GC, I do understand what you are saying about comfort but the GC just has too much stuff on it that could fail. I work with a guy that has a newer JK and back trouble. He got some high speed suspension seats and has no issues with it. If I were keeping the vehicle for three years or so and running it up and down the interstate I would feel differently.

What does a JKU with touch screen, electric windows, heated seats have that a WK for instance does not have....other than the IFS where is the difference. They probably share similar Control Modules....the WK/JK have the same automatic transmissions....both have transfer cases, both have electronic lockers...I know the 4x4 systems are slightly different but the basics are the same. Both have ABS, both have stability control, both have Chrysler electronics. Granted the JK Rubicon has beefier drivelines.

The only thing that I do not like about my WK is the key fob and ignition module...I wish it had a "key".

I also know you can get a manual transmission, manual windows, door locks on a JK...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i had the exact same decision to make

Rubicon won easy and no regrets.not sure what kind of trails you drive but pictures some ledges even mild ones or imagine this getting t-boned by a sequoia, it happened to me in the rubicon the sequoia had more damage So ask your self is the grand cherokee feeling lucky?

MOguy

Explorer
What does a JKU with touch screen, electric windows, heated seats have that a WK for instance does not have....other than the IFS where is the difference. They probably share similar Control Modules....the WK/JK have the same automatic transmissions....both have transfer cases, both have electronic lockers...I know the 4x4 systems are slightly different but the basics are the same. Both have ABS, both have stability control, both have Chrysler electronics. Granted the JK Rubicon has beefier drivelines.

The only thing that I do not like about my WK is the key fob and ignition module...I wish it had a "key".

I also know you can get a manual transmission, manual windows, door locks on a JK...

I didn't realize the JKs had all that. I have seen a few and the ones I had seen didn't have all those options. The system on the GC that would concern me is the suspension system, not just the IFS but the system that adjusts the suspension.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I didn't realize the JKs had all that. I have seen a few and the ones I had seen didn't have all those options. The system on the GC that would concern me is the suspension system, not just the IFS but the system that adjusts the suspension.

I agree. Thankfully the WK has a conventional suspension. Air suspension showed up on the WK2 in 2011.

brushogger

Explorer
Another thing to consider is resale value. If you travel a lot, and really rack up the miles, a high mileage wrangler will hold its value better than the GC. This may make a difference come replacement time. For instance a 2002 Grand Cherokee sells for about 1/4 what a similar condition wrangler goes for.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Another thing to consider is resale value. If you travel a lot, and really rack up the miles, a high mileage wrangler will hold its value better than the GC. This may make a difference come replacement time. For instance a 2002 Grand Cherokee sells for about 1/4 what a similar condition wrangler goes for.

I concur....the only thing that is adding value to my WK is the Mercedes diesel engine....whenever I decide to get rid of the WK the replacement will be. 2013-2015 Wrangler Rubicon

RobFord

I have a 14 JKUR, but I am thinking about a new WK2 Overland simply for the 5.7 Hemi. I get sick of heading to the mountains from Denver and having it go into 3rd heading up the inclines on I70. Sometimes in 4th I lose speed heading up to the tunnels from Silverthorne or Georgetown. It is so frustrating. I get in my friend's WK2 High Altitude and he just flies up. With tires, a rack and armor there does not seem to be much I would want to do in CO or UT or NM that I can't do in a WK2. If they had a factory option for a Hemi in the JKUR it would be a no brainer for me.

I cannot afford a Hemi Conversion, so its a super charger/turbo or a WK2. I will decide 1st quarter of 2016 :)

jsek29

Observer
You could re-gear the JK. I know that will help ours, it came with 3.21 R&Ps and I never saw 6th, even on a downhill. Climbing any hill on the freeway meant 4th or even 3rd if it were longer than a 1/4 mile! 4.88s should help immensely, and give more low end on the trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles