Difficulties with trailering (backing up) in tight areas???

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
We used to reverse the trailer up our driveway - it's what most people would call a short-drawbar trailer, so does turn quite quickly. We came up with the following things that made it easier:
  • As the 4Runner is a manual, reversing it slowly often involves slipping the clutch... not ideal... To avoid that, we just put it in 4Lo with the hubs unlocked; a load more slow speed control and no need to ride the clutch. Best thing is, the Land Cruiser is manual with manual hubs as well!
  • If it was getting out of line, pull forwards to get it back straight quickly
  • When going backwards, and you need to straighten it up, whichever mirror you can see the trailer in, pull that hand down (ie Left mirror, Left hand down, Right mirror, Right hand down) and that'll get you straight again.
  • Point positive - point where the person needs to go, not where the problem is...
Hope that all helps... we now cheat and use the whole front garden to turn the trailer round in; I only have to back up between the other car and the car port post now, not the 100m of the driveway.

CampStewart

Observer
If you can't back up yourself having a spotter is not really going to help. A spotter is only helpful if they are behind the trailer seeing something that is blocked by the trailer. You don't see guys with huge trailers out in the streets with a spotter every time they back up, it is a skill you are responsible to learn. The driver HAS to be able to maneuver the trailer him or herself. As mentioned earlier the slower you back up the better.

jk6661

Observer
Ford has a trailer backing system that uses the backup camera, which I've heard works well. Obviously won't help the OP with his Jeep, but for anyone contemplating buying a Ford...

PJC

Observer
Long time ago I was given this tip: The rear bumper of the trailer, when backing, goes in the same direction as the BOTTOM of the steering wheel. ( I put my left hand down there and steer with the right on top) Second tip: A few degrees of steering input at a time...especially with a very short trailer (attack the target space in an arc).

As everyone has stated...practice... etc. etc.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Thanks all for help, I will be by myself most times so if I go trailer route I will need learn to do myself. When spouse there it will help but get video ready, we might make spectacles of ourselves.

I looked at front reciever hitcher a couple months ago and it really doesn't work on a Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2, and once on you really mess up entrance angle. It sounds like in the areas I intend to use it mostly, it can be done but might needing planning and maybe leaving unhitched before I get too far into trails without knowing whats ahead.

I doubt a slide-on, or even a flatbed mount will give me the space I need so really a trailer, Spinter/Transit or Tiger makes most sense.

honda250xtitan

As someone who has spent a good bit of time in commercial campgrounds, I always kind of feel bad watching how this plays out for most couples - usually not well with lots of yelling. Always seems like a poor way to start a peaceful weekend together.

******** or at the boat ramps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles