Difficulties with trailering (backing up) in tight areas???

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Hi, I live in Virginia and looking for right overland rig for us. One idea is to use our Jeep WK2 as tow vehicle and get a trailer. We want 4-season, stand-up room with bath and small galley. One option is small trailer like a 13' - 16' Scamp or Oliver (fortified for bumpy roads), or possible a VMI Alpine or Canyon with pop-up, or similar.

My concern is maneuverability (especially backing up) in eastern woods, fire/forest roads and generally off beaten path. Out west I guess this is less of a problem due to more open areas but how problematic is towing a trailer off-the-beaten path in East or even Northwest, or anywhere where backroads can be narrow without alot of open areas?

I recently rented a 4x6 trailer from Uhaul and to do anything except driving straight was a pain in the ********. Backing up on an angle was a nightmare, it was so bad someone offered to help, we laughed about it but it got me thinking of how difficult it is to back-up, tight turn or turn around in the woods with one of these things.

Your thoughts, experiences appreciated.

PhulesAU

Explorer
The shorter the trailer, the quicker it responds to steering input. think Brill Cream, a little dab will do ya. go rent a 14 - 16' and try it out.

ottsville

Observer
Small trailers are more difficult to maneuver. They come around quickly and require a lighter touch. Borrow a trailer and some cones and go to a parking lot and practice.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Practice practice practice you'll get to the point where backing up doesn't even require any thinking it's just like driving forward

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Thanks all for good ideas, with practice I assume I'll get better but on forest/fire trails will there even be issues finding spots to turn around as backing up may too far to realistically do it?

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes practice.

Some skills take 10,000 hours to become expert, this is not one of them.

A partner helps in the early stages, but ideally swap places regularly so you both get good at it.

And sure there are many places in the woods where there aren't any spots to do a three-point for miles, maybe even all the way to the dead end.

So get good at backing up, sometimes have to do it for a long stretch.

Or know the track before you go in with a trailer.

_____
As to big vs little, length from ball to axle is good, but only for backing up Can make tight hairpin turns on rough tracks difficult.

Width and height are very restricting in forest / bushy areas. Carry a chainsaw.

This is why many veterans prefer a truck with a little camper cap to a trailer, lets you get out into the real rough stuff much more easily.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
This is why many veterans prefer a truck with a little camper cap to a trailer, lets you get out into the real rough stuff much more easily.

A flat bed with pop-up is option, but we prefer not to get popup with soft sides, we are looking at Alaskan Campers which are hard sided and they now have flat bed option.

However, I love our Jeep and would really miss not taking it with us but I see issues with trailer I need to get handle on.

azken

Observer
I have taught trailer backing so these are just a couple of suggestions:
1. Do straight backing for short distances at first (a few feet) then longer distances as you're able to keep the backing relatively straight without knocking over obstacles (if you don't have cones go to an empty parking lot use the painted stripes in lieu of cones)..your confidence WILL grow. Someday you may have to back up for very, very long distances
2. Do everything slowly. Backing up is a slow motion operation.
3. Practice using your mirrors during all backing procedures (there's too many blind spots in your tow vehicle to cause you to lose sight of where you want to go and your trailer.
4. Never lose sight/awareness of the very end of your trailer, the trailer wheels, or the very front of your tow vehicle while backing.
There are web sites that can offer visuals of backing into spaces, hand/steering wheel positions, etc. To almost all of us, backing is a learned thing and practice is one of the fundamental lessons.

CampStewart

Observer
Put a receiver on the front of your rig so you can put a trailer ball on the front. If there is room to turn your rig around you can push the trailer out. Having a ball on the front of your rig can be very handy for putting your trailer in tight spots. Otherwise backing a trailer up is just about practice x1000.

honda250xtitan

lol we have forests out here. and mountains. actually we have beaches and snow within 6 hours of each other. and we aint liberal commies (commifornia)

practice. practice with mirrors, practice with cheating and turning your head. I grew up driving tractors and trailers, my dump trailer hooked to my ford still gives me fits going up my driveway. lol but anywhere else or any other trailer i'm fine.

Teardropper

\
My concern is maneuverability (especially backing up) in eastern woods

Practice in a large empty parking lot. In the hills, roll your windows down and put your spouse behind the trailer (but have her stay in your mirror).

ojNKllV.jpg

It just takes practice. And a second set of eyes.

SB

ottsville

Observer
\

put your spouse behind the trailer (but have her stay in your mirror).

As someone who has spent a good bit of time in commercial campgrounds, I always kind of feel bad watching how this plays out for most couples - usually not well with lots of yelling. Always seems like a poor way to start a peaceful weekend together.

john61ct

Adventurer
Which is why dozens of hours in empty parking lots and remote practice locations is a good investment.

In space no one can hear to scream.

So by the time you're actually going on holiday you both work together, with silent hand signals, like a well-oiled couple.

You'll at least be minimally competent in the early stages, but keep working at it until you achieve prize-winning excellence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier