Differences between Express/Savana utility vans and Express/Savana passenger vans (other than the obvious)

Van Man Fan

Hello, first time poster here. I'm in the market for an AWD Express/Savana passenger van. But as I guess everyone knows, there are a lot more AWD utility vans than passenger vans. So now I'm considering purchasing an Express/Savana utility van, and converting it to what I want. I've read about installing windows on a utility van. And I've read about insulation, seating, camper build-outs, etc.

But what I want to know is this: What are the mechanical differences between the utility and passenger vans, besides the obvious. For example, I'm guessing the A/C and heating ducts don't run to the back of utility vans. Are there other mechanical differences between the two? Wiring? Suspension? Thank you.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Cargo won't have the airbags in the rear ceiling. Obviously seat mount points and belts. They can be a better start point for a build in some respects, depending on the build plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpier

Expedition Leader
I think with a cargo van you will have less (interior) teardown than a passenger van. and you can put windows where you wish rather than work around what's already installed.

give serious thought to headroom. my savanna is perfect (for my uses) in every respect with the exception of "stand up" capability.

Van Man Fan

Thank you for the responses! Do you think it is possible or desirable to somehow extend the heating/cooling vents to the rear of a Savana/Express utility van? Or is that kind of waste of time and effort?

45Kevin

Adventurer
Lots of cargo vans have the rear heater.

Your trims and finishes, particularly in the front are usually better with the pass. van.

My van is a passenger type and as much as I like all the windows, I sometimes think it would have been better if I could have started with steel walls and added a few strategic window for the views.

fire_strom

Adventurer
Pluses and minuses in both directions. I started with a passenger version. Sometimes I think it would have been easier to have had a cargo. Usually I am glad I didn't. The primary differences as has been mentioned are the rear seating and rear finished walls. Most trim options are available in either configuration. The AWD are out of production so unless you have a specific reason one would't work I would keep eyes out for both and choose the best condition/mileage/options one you can find and then go the direction you want with what you've got. Mine is a daily driver, trailhead party, travel trailer tower sometimes camper. The rear seat is not stock but modified to work in the stock seat rails. In retrospect it probably would have been easier to mount it in a bare floor.
My rambling opinion,
-G

86scotty

Cynic
Pluses and minuses in both directions. I started with a passenger version. Sometimes I think it would have been easier to have had a cargo. Usually I am glad I didn't. The primary differences as has been mentioned are the rear seating and rear finished walls. Most trim options are available in either configuration. The AWD are out of production so unless you have a specific reason one would't work I would keep eyes out for both and choose the best condition/mileage/options one you can find and then go the direction you want with what you've got. Mine is a daily driver, trailhead party, travel trailer tower sometimes camper. The rear seat is not stock but modified to work in the stock seat rails. In retrospect it probably would have been easier to mount it in a bare floor.
My rambling opinion,
-G

Save yourself some trouble, just to make sure you read this loud and clear NO converter will touch a newer passenger van with curtain airbags in the rear. This is been tried and learned that the hard way by a few folks.

I prefer passenger vans for the rear heat and air and removed the curtain airbags from my new Ford van but if you are willing or able to do that you’ll never get a top of any kind of put on it. IMO you can’t build much of a camper without a raised roof or at least upper cabinets.

There are really no other differences in GM versus Chevy or cargo versus passenger other than the trim, rear HVAC, rear seat tracks and the curtain airbag problem in newer passenger vans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choff

Adventurer
The thing about Pass Van vs Cargo
You get a lot of extras on a full loaded Pass. Van or a Conversion Van
Like,
Opening factory tinted rear and side windows
Compass & outside temp. on mirror,
rear heat & air,
heated seats,
tilt wheel,
light group,
useless TV and entertainment group
dual headlights, you get the message!!
2005 GMC AWD Savana-full conversion van-we use it for everything & camping too

Scotty D

When I was looking , it was hard to find an AWD cargo, way more passenger vans available.
Does anyone have any info on how many of each were built and sold in the US?
I love not having windows in the back, I dont even have rear windows. At first I planned to change out the rear doors for ones with opening windows but after months of camping in Mexico I am glad I did not.

What exactly is your plan for this van? Do you have a family that you need to haul around?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior