Differences between 55 and 60/62 series?

Overdrive

Adventurer
Just curious...been reading here and there, and it seems that the 60/62 is considered to be Toyota's ultimate expedition-capable vehicle (or maybe the 80 series, but I want to focus on the 55-60's).

So, my question is, why is the 55 series not-so-good in comparison? What are the driveline differences that make the 60 the hands-down favorite over the 55?

Please enlighten me...

Scott

the dude

Adventurer
Just more refinements in the 60/62

Larger knuckles in all 60/62. Some 55s have the small pattern (don't know years)
everything is fine spline
5spd
split case t-case
bigger engine
better PS set up
I think the 60 series is the biggest interior land cruiser
lots of them around
better aftermarket support

AndrewP

Explorer
55s are rare and very cool. They are prone to body rot in a major way. They have a rear window that can be troublesome, and the axles are narrower. Most, but not all have fairly weak drum brake birfields. They are very large inside. The front brake issue is easily swappable. Trucks 75 and earlier do not have to be smogged in California.

60s are not as cool, but they are better in every meaningful way.
They are SLIGHTLY less prone to rust.
Better seats
Axles are wider
Later disc brakes and stronger birfields
better rear drum brakes that self adjust
Updated 2F motor
Stronger drivetrain with the "split" transfer case
Fine spline pinions
Fully electronic ignition
Amazingly reliable-I'm at 220k and runs like it was new
Power steering
Airconditioning

With work and money, either truck can be built into what you want, but a 60 is IMHO a better starting point. 55s look cooler/badder

Overdrive

Adventurer
What's a "split" tcase? Is that another name for a divorced tcase?

So, no factory air available in the 55's? (There's a 1977 on Craigslist that has A/C, don't know if it's factory)

I like the looks of the 55, so just trying to see if I could live with one:snorkel: Would like disc brakes, A/C, and reasonably strong axles.

Did the 1975+ models come with catalytic converters like most vehicles?...(some in this weight class were exempt for a few more years such as Scouts and 1/2 ton pickups.)

Thanks
Scott

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
I bought my 55 from a guy who didn't like it simply because it is more raw than his 60. Mine is a 78, but it just isn't the same on or off road. Hopefully when its done that will be a different story. I am also adding a lot of 60/62 parts.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind it is becoming increasingly difficult to find parts for the 55's. It can be done, but it takes much more effort than for 60's. Ask me how I know...:p

AndrewP

Explorer
Overdrive said:
What's a "split" tcase? Is that another name for a divorced tcase?

Did the 1975+ models come with catalytic converters like most vehicles?...(some in this weight class were exempt for a few more years such as Scouts and 1/2 ton pickups.)

Thanks
Scott

Split transfer case as opposed to the 1 piece transfer case. The split case has a 19 spline input and the case itself is much stronger with more ribbing. the gears are larger and the idler shaft is bigger. It's just a bigger and much heavier duty box. It's also easier to work on. It is not a divorced case. While I have heard of numerous broken 1 piece cases, I've never heard of a broken (ie split the wrong way) split case. I'm sure it's happened, but it would take some serious abuse.

You can add all the FJ60 goodies to earlier trucks-my 71 has FJ60 axles, brakes, ignition, and rear springs.

I believe that catalytic converters started in 78 or 79 for Land Cruisers. For sure, the 76 and 77s do not have them.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
FWIW, I bought a 1978 FJ55 because I was at the time considering a 55 or purchasing a 60 with which I was intimate. I bought the 55 and it was a REAL truck. I'll be honest, I don't like bench seats and the offset steering wheel bugged me. I was always fixing something or the other and that was a while ago. I could NOT stop the rust. It's like driving a really heavy 40 series (quite literally).

I ended up selling it due to some taxes I had to pay that year. The next year I bought my 80 that I still have today, but I really wish I would have chosen the 60 up-front.

Overdrive

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies! One more thing I forgot to ask...

Do they both have the same suspension design? And is it leaf springs under-the-axle on all four corners?

AndrewP

Explorer
Overdrive said:
Thanks for the replies! One more thing I forgot to ask...

Do they both have the same suspension design? And is it leaf springs under-the-axle on all four corners?

Yes, but the 60 and especially the 62 use better springs. Not a big deal though.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Lots of great info already posted! :cool:

Couple of notes. A late model FJ55 could theoretically have AC, though I can't say I've ever seen one.

Split T-Case tech:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_split_case.html

Axle Tech (specifically when the knuckles/birf were upgraded):
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_front_axle.html

I totally "heart" 55's, if I could find a clean one I would be all over it. Let that be the key CLEAN. They are extremely difficult to fix rust, replacement panels are expensive or unavailable. Drivetrain is really a non issue as everything is similar or the same as a like year FJ40. My recommendation for 55 shopping... body, body, body. Motors, tranny's, disc brakes, power steering, even AC are all cheap in comparison to major body work and paint.

There will be a day another FJ55 is in my stable, mabey even built to replace my current FJ40. However there is an FJ45, FJ40, FJ60 and FJ80 sitting here waiting for a build up already :D

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
Overdrive said:
Just curious...been reading here and there, and it seems that the 60/62 is considered to be Toyota's ultimate expedition-capable vehicle (or maybe the 80 series, but I want to focus on the 55-60's).

So, my question is, why is the 55 series not-so-good in comparison? What are the driveline differences that make the 60 the hands-down favorite over the 55?

Please enlighten me...

Scott

I like the old 55 series myself. I like the body style much better over the 60. If I had the money to blow and the time, I'd take a 55 and drop a 2F in it and heavier duty gearbox, transfer case etc. Someone on here said it was like driving a huge FJ40, and they're right. I've got a FJ40 and drove an old friends FJ55 a little and it drove the same. Big lumbering beast of a vehicle. Really cool in my opinion. I'd say any Land Cruiser is cool for an expedition build. They're all tough and go most anywhere even with little modification.

cruiser guy

Explorer
I have both a '60 and a '55. Both have the factory A/C setup in them (though they did not come that way). The '55 is a head turner simply because it is not a common truck any longer. Rust is a definite issue with '55's as it is with '60's. Both of my trucks are turbo-diesel so I can't really say much about the gas engines.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Lucy FJ55

Observer
It seems like most of the differences have been posted already. I'll just add my own two cents...

I'm obviously biased, so naturally I love the 55 series. I say drive a few different rigs and buy the one that SPEAKS to you. The 55's did come with power steering and AC from the factory as an option in '78-'80, I believe, but they are rare.

Most of the mechanicals are easily swapable, so don't let that stop you. That's the fun part. Of course, most folks have a budget and I agree that it would be easier and cheaper to start with a 60 series. The 60's definitely have some advantages when compared to the 55. I also agree, when looking for a 55, a clean body is most critical, unless that does not matter to you or apply to your application...

Parts and aftermarket support is fairly rare for the 55, but you can typically buy/get/modify most parts, and the internet makes that so much easier than in years past. Yes, both 60's and 55's have leaf springs, under the axle, on all four corners. Simiar setup for both.

And of course, the're just soooo cool. :bowdown:

Attachments

• IMG_2891.JPG
    IMG_2891.JPG
    711 KB · Views: 41

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles