difference in water and fuel cans

blackheart

As Crusader said the plastics are usually different. Won't happen the first time you use them (then again depending on the quality it might) and maybe not the 5th or 10th but water containers will eventually leak if used to carry fuel.

Well I have been using Blitz water cans for gasoline for ten years - no leaks
Used because they are semi translucent and I cas see fuel levels

gasman

Adventurer
my question would be where would you fill them.. all the gas stations around here have signage saying that only approved containers can be filled . i dont know how close they watch but . what if you had an accident ? i think you would be screwed.. .. not worth it imo

Albin

Adventurer
Spec for the MFC are attached. The MWC spec at 572 KB exceeds this sites attachment requirements; if anyone wants it, shoot me an e-mail address or post instructions on how to post a big .pdf file.

Most has already been covered.

Just because they're both made of HDPE, doesn't mean they're the same material - the MWC, by law, has to made of food-grade materials, the MFC does not (although it's certainly possible that it is but doubtful).

It's just generally a bad idea to use non-fuel containers for fuel and to put fuel in water-potable containers.

My .02.

Al

Attachments

• A-A-59592 Fuel Can Spec.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 48

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
i am in the military and had access to some that were being thrown away. so i grabbed 2 of them. i painted one black and marked it with GASOLINE in bright red. the other i left alone and use it for water. 2 years later still no issues, now granted these are official ARMY plastic cans, not "aftermarket replica" cans if you will

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
i am in the military and had access to some that were being thrown away. so i grabbed 2 of them. i painted one black and marked it with GASOLINE in bright red. the other i left alone and use it for water. 2 years later still no issues, now granted these are official ARMY plastic cans, not "aftermarket replica" cans if you will

The cans we are using and referring to are not replicas either, they are exactly the same. I stand by my opinion that it is unsafe and unwise to use gasoline in a water can. Safety (leaking, marking, etc) aside, the waters do not have the vent system built into the can that makes the MFC's so desirable to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior