Difference between Hilux & Tacoma

Dalko43

Explorer
Fa sha the market is demanding diesels, not sure if the EPA is going to allow it in the near future. But with the current slash and burn administration...even the future of the EPA is in question. Which is a mixed bag for me...would love fuel efficient cheap diesel (which doesn't exist)...but don't want polluted air and water either.

I think North American car companies and engine makers are planning for the worst and hoping for the best; they're future engine designs will likely continue to incorporate and improve upon emissions technology because they know that over the long-term that is where the North American and global markets and regulations are heading towards. If you go read up on some of the current domestic offerings, you'll see that North American diesel engine manufacturers, by-and-large, have been successful at making diesels emissions-compliant while still maintaining some measure of fuel economy and reliability.

Also, I don't think the EPA is going anywhere, despite the predictions of some media outlets.

DLopan

I would bet on it. When Trump gets through trashing the gov, we could be all diesels. (nah). I would have loved to get a current model hilux but it's not to be. I have seen several tacomas (2011-15 not the 16/17) that could hold anywhere after spending enormous amounts of money. Both types are rugged hilux a little more but I have AC and sat nav and sat radio. Ham radio too.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I thought they were all t-handle from 95.5-2004... then foot operated from 05-15. /this is going to bug me now.
Yup, auto transmission 2nd gen have the foot pedal. I think the 3rd gen are common with a handle in the center console, like a Corolla, and 1st gen are like the earlier trucks with the T-handles.

2008-toyota-tacoma-access-cab-interior-photo-202835-s-1280x782.jpg

Reactions: bkg

Theriault

What about the dimensions of the bed ? I have a truck camper designed for the 6 foot bed of the Gen 2 tacoma ... would it fit in any generation of Hilux ??

skrypj

I wouldn’t want the diesel. My last truck prior to my Lexus GX was a 2006 Liberty CRD. Very similar motor to the diesel in the hilux(2.8L inline 4, with 160hp and 300 tq). Even tuned, with a larger turbo, it was a turd. Sure it could chug around in overdrive at 1800 rpm empty, but once you hooked a trailer behind it and tried to climb a hill it was giving you everything it had.

It was a novelty.

That said, the V6 in the Taco sucks, so i am not sure which would be worse. But vs the 1UR-FE in my GX, its no contest.

lugueto

Adventurer
What about the dimensions of the bed ? I have a truck camper designed for the 6 foot bed of the Gen 2 tacoma ... would it fit in any generation of Hilux ??

The short bed, dual cab Tacoma is the only one in the range that compares to a Hilux sizewise. Dual cab Hilux bed dimensions are roughtly 5 feet long by 5 feet wide by 1.5 tall.

There is no dual-cab long-bed Hilux as there is in the Tacoma lineup.

Single cab Hiluxes do however have a super long bed, I think over 7", so your camper won't work on a single cab on one of these either.

Amedio

As for the small payload of the Tacoma, I think it has to do with the special circumstances of the Canada/USA market. Those two counties do not adhere to Vienna Convention for Road traffic defines categories for vehicles and Driver´s license that basically define a limit of 3500 kg Gross Vehicle Mass for general public vehicles. Most other developed countries do. A commercial driver´s license is needed beyond that mass . And that has additional consequences.

In my home country trucks above 3500 kg (with some exceptions) must use a device that limits the maximum hours that can be driven and enforces resting time ( device in the truck) and are electronically limited to 90 km/h. The only pickups available there are sizes like the Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi L-200, or Nissan Navara. Larger sizes could be sold, but regulatory framework would make then not practical. Imagine you are driving a 1-ton down the highway for 4 hours and the truck tells you that you have 30 minutes to find a place to rest or the truck will shut down.

The Hilux is probably designed to be the only size available in those markets, while the Tacoma is designed as the smaller/recreational size in a market with larger sizes are available.

Last edited:

OllieChristopher

One of the biggest differences that blows me away are the ball joints on the Hilux. One single indestructible huge ball joint built into the hub on each side of the 4wd model.

NorthLay

The best summation to the differences that I have seen was this:
The Tacoma is made for nice places like the US, where it needs to drive and ride nice. IT sometimes gets tough jobs like carrying Mtn Bikes or wet dogs. When it gets banged up, its sent to a body shop and the bad stuff is unbolted and replaced.
The Hilux is made for everywhere else in the world. Its born into the working class. Its destined to haul anything under a ton over, around and through just about any place. The trade-off is that its rougher around the edges- doesn't ride and handle as nice. When it gets banged up, in many places its just hammered until straight again.
That doesn't mean the Tacoma is a prissy little weakling. Sure, the plastic bed is less than ideal, but otherwise it can be made to do most of the things the Hilux does. In the end it might give up a little sooner- maybe 400k instead of a half million miles.

I tend to disagree with the above section in bold (respectfully of course). I've driven the newest gen Tacoma and a recent gen Hilux quite extensively (the Hilux was over 1k miles through the backcountry of Namibia and Botswana). I truly believe the modern Hilux is every bit as comfortable a ride as the modern Tacoma. There perhaps was a time when Hilux's were truly spartan and utilitarian as compared to the Tacoma's, but I think those days are in the past.

If anything, I found the Hilux more comfortable than the Tacoma due to its better (higher) seating position.

The Tacoma is a lifestyle truck.
The Hilux is a work truck - but I don't consider it any less relevant for everday use as a daily driver or weekend get-away truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles