Diff Lock operation in a 300GE?

Greetings from the Rover guy...

Buddy in town here has recently acquired a 1992 300GE automatic.

We need some guidance related to operation of the diff lock system.

I understand that it's hydraulic, but honestly not wanting to damage the vehicle thought I'd ask the experts first :)

Oh, and the manual is in German...fancy that!

"Bier" I know...thought I'd start with the important words.

simple unfrozen accountant that I am :costumed-smiley-007

Thanks Ronin.

I understand their function and use....for some unknown reason my friend seems to think that there is a special-ness to the G-wagen lockers.

I might be a bonehead....but shouldn't I simply be able to engage center / rear / front simply with regard to conditions in whatever combination is appropriate?

I haven't looked at the vehicle, but he's telling me that the engagement isn't via the three rocker switched on the dash that I'm used to seeing on the G's, but rather some levers below the driver's seat???

Thanks,

KAA

39Ronin

Adventurer
From what he describes suggests his G is older than 1992 if it has the plunger style levers next to the drivers seat. There isn't a center diff on this model.
The newer style are electric switches that activate a mechanical locker, the style I pictured here are completely mechanical.

P6050022.jpg

Aha!

I'm going out on a limb then and presume that the one if front is the front axle, and that leaves only one more :)

So, to be easy on the equipment - since I have this feeling that the locking mechanism stops the spider gears turning

- it's either stop or really low speed
- auto trans in neutral
- engage locker
- continue to enjoy the day ;)

Thanks Ronin,

KAA

Fer cryin' out loud...just talked to my local guy...he's got the three switches on the dash. :oops:

Use should be just as straightforward then....presuming the mechanical bits aren't stuck from lack of use????

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
yes...

AFIK there is nothing "special" about the G-Wagen's lockers... They're just like every other selectable locker on the planet. You've got the idea on how to work them ;)

Cheers

Dave

justinhw

Adventurer
For the older G-wagens with part-time 4wd and the hydraulic lockers, is there any sort of manual hub on the axle to remove the front wheels from the drivetrain when in 2wd?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Good info Snyder... Gotta love the wealth of knowledge that is the Expo portal eh ;)

So are you saying that you can't engage the front locker seperatly??? I'm asuming the 463 is the one with electric switches... SO is it some sort of electronic "nanny" that makes them not engage correctly??? And can you disengage them as you desire??? meaning cann you lock them all up but then disengage the center diff if you were in the snow or for whatever reason???

Not that you'd ever really want the front engaged but not have the center or rear engaged but in theory COULD YOU??? And is it the same for the Hydraulicly activated older models???

Cheers

Dave

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Fer cryin' out loud...just talked to my local guy...he's got the three switches on the dash. :oops:

Use should be just as straightforward then....presuming the mechanical bits aren't stuck from lack of use????

Just a friendly FYI...

Three locker switches up on the dash are on the W463 ('90+) chassis. Full time 4WD per Harald's site.

Two locker "pulls" near the shifter are on the W460 ('79-89) chassis. Part time 4WD per Harald's site.

4x4abc

Adventurer
G knowledge

Dave,

this forum is great but it does not have many participating G owners - therefore the knowledge pool is not very deep. Check the P3 forum for all your locker questions:
http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/se...1&days=1&datemode=3&custom-start=&custom-end=

For some reason all newer factory lockers (and even the ARB air lockers) have to be engaged in the order of rear first then front (in case of the 463 series G: center, rear, front).
With advanced 4x4 driving skill the need for independent locker engagement will come up. Easy to do on an ARB, a bit more involved on the Jeep Rubicon and you need electronics knowledge to modify the switch box on the 463. I have had mine modified by a P3 board member to allow me to switch my lockers at any order.

Feel free to contact me directly for more insight:
adventure@4x4abc.com

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
For some reason all factory lockers (and even the ARB air lockers) have to be engaged in the order of rear first then front...

Harald,

This isn't the case on the W460, correct? You can lock the front first or rear first?(mine are currently inop due to lack of use so I haven't been able to try)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior