Diff Breather - Mojave river/Afton

amocaT

Adventurer
I'll be doing the Mojave Road this weekend. I was wondering if crossing the MR w/o a diff. breather will be a problem?

Thanks in advance...

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I don't know how high the water level is right now, but I'd assume it's probably going to be higher than your axles, so extended breathers would be better to have and it's really easy to do.

On my breathers, I was able to pop off the cap and just attach the hose directly to the stock breather, it was long enough to be able to secure a clamp beneath the lip.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
It is good practice to stop and let your vehicle cool before doing a water crossing. This will be even more important if you are not able to do the extension to the diff breather and it will be under water.

RusM

Adventurer
It is good practice to stop and let your vehicle cool before doing a water crossing. This will be even more important if you are not able to do the extension to the diff breather and it will be under water.

Wouldn't you want it to be hot when you went in? Heat = expansion = no water in diff?

7wt

Expedition Leader
Wouldn't you want it to be hot when you went in? Heat = expansion = no water in diff?

Well you are half right but once the diff hits the water it cools off rapidly pulling a vacuum that sucks water in. There are several write ups in the web for Toyotas, a few of them use a Nissan nipple so if your dealer can't get one in time, check with a Nissan parts store. The Nissan part number is 38323-C6010.

Looky here,

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/breather/

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Came through the mojave ford a couple days ago, water was probably around 18-20" at the deepest point (still below my door sills). Don't know what the standard breather arrangement is on your rig, but I'm guessing it would probably be fine without an extension.

EDIT: Okay just read the extension writeup, didn't realize it was right on the diff housing. That thing will definitely be underwater. I'd extend it if I were you :snorkel:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Came through the mojave ford a couple days ago, water was probably around 18-20" at the deepest point (still below my door sills). Don't know what the standard breather arrangement is on your rig, but I'm guessing it would probably be fine without an extension.

EDIT: Okay just read the extension writeup, didn't realize it was right on the diff housing. That thing will definitely be underwater. I'd extend it if I were you :snorkel:

Good EDIT!:sombrero:

I'm glad you read it.

Here is the stock Toyota diff. breather. The cap is spring loaded. I wouldn't trust it.

1a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
There is a "one way" ball valve inside the diff breather. When I took mine off to move it up higher I could blow out through it, but not suck air in. Problems occur when there is a malfunction with the breather valve (happens often) and water is taken in during a water crossing.

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

There is a "one way" ball valve inside the diff breather. When I took mine off to move it up higher I could blow out through it, but not suck air in. Problems occur when there is a problem with the breather valve, (happens often) and water is taken in during a water crossing.

My 1988 Toyota breather just has a spring and a flat rubber gasket. Just like the one in the pic. Looks like 1950's technology!

I opened my front cap up and yelled....What The!

8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I just screwed an 1/8" NPT to -4AN/JIC adapter fitting into the axle housing. Stuck some quality hose on a Push-Loc hose end and ran the hose up to a combo filter/breather clamped to my shock hoop.

This was about a month ago now, that's 33's & unlifted:
afton.jpg

Yes, he sucked water into the engine. Yes, it spit out a conrod a few days later.
The bottom of the crossing is firm, you do not need any speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles