Diff Breather - Mojave river/Afton

amocaT

Adventurer
Thanks everybody. I called several dealers and found the union. I'll be able to install the ext. diff breather before the Afton crossing.

amocaT

Adventurer
I just screwed an 1/8" NPT to -4AN/JIC adapter fitting into the axle housing. Stuck some quality hose on a Push-Loc hose end and ran the hose up to a combo filter/breather clamped to my shock hoop.

This was about a month ago now, that's 33's & unlifted:
afton.jpg

Yes, he sucked water into the engine. Yes, it spit out a conrod a few days later.
The bottom of the crossing is firm, you do not need any speed.

Small world. I remember seeing you guys out there. I was on an atv.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I remember watching you guys cross there. I was driving the truck not in the picture. I call it "Patch".

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I just screwed an 1/8" NPT to -4AN/JIC adapter fitting into the axle housing. Stuck some quality hose on a Push-Loc hose end and ran the hose up to a combo filter/breather clamped to my shock hoop.

This was about a month ago now, that's 33's & unlifted:
afton.jpg

Yes, he sucked water into the engine. Yes, it spit out a conrod a few days later.
The bottom of the crossing is firm, you do not need any speed.

Everyone with a 1st Generation Toyota 4Runner be aware that your air intake is right up to, and just behind your drivers side Headlight.

Did his DS Headlight go underwater?

The red truck just ahead of him already looks higher. (Which makes me think he has other issues, to get water into the engine). Did it get WAY Deep just behind your stick?

If it did. Everyone could have gone very slow and think it through. The 1st Gen. could have shut OFF his Engine. And the Red truck could have towed him through the deep spot.

Every truck owner should open their hood and know where their air intake is, if you are planning on doing a water crossing.

So you will know for certain, what your limitations are.

Never just go for it! :elkgrin:

2010_04241STGenToyoAirIntake0003.jpg

2010_04241STGenToyoAirIntake0002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
He is stopped in about the deepest part. I didn't see any of it, I was in the lead ,paying attention to the where I was going and the water level relative to my door jams (they leak). The failure mode there was simple. According to the red XJ's driver he tends to take water crossings too fast. It was the 'bow wake' that got ingested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles