Diesel Wrangler in 2010!

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Among the new diesels Chrysler-Fiat plans to sell will be a diesel Jeep Wrangler scheduled for introduction in the fourth quarter of 2010. A start-stop feature will increase what should already be very good fuel economy and shave 5 percent off its annual CO2 contribution.

Chrysler-Fiat anticipates that by 2014, V8 engines will account for only 11 percent of its mix (and that's including the new Ram brand), down from 18 percent in 2010.

At the same time, the company anticipates anticipates that four-cylinder engines will make up 38 percent of its mix in 2014 -- up considerably from 19 percent in 2010. And there will be more diesels, too. Look for them to make up 14 percent of the mix in 2014, compared to only 9 percent today.

JKDetonator

Adventurer
I'm not holding my breath...

We'll see...Our EPA mandates also increase. It would be nice, but...
My pessimism is showing:coffee::coffee:

Viggen

Just here...
This is official Chrysler-Fiat press release. It isn't a "maybe", this is their plan! Pretty darn cool.

Youre still forgetting that average American buyer doesnt seem to want a diesel. Im scratching wherever I can to find a good diesel powered rig, even thinking about popping one into a CJ-8. A diesel Wrangler would be fantastic but I doubt itll be a hot seller really. Also, a well optioned Wrangler is already insane, in my opinion, money and being a niche vehicle without any competition, they dont really deal too much either. $30k for a Rubicon, a few more for an Unlimited, is crazy money. I cant imagine what they are going to ask for the diesel option...

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Every consumer-grade diesel car avail today is in high demand.
VAG is coming out with more diesels. With upcoming mpg requirement changes + good particle emissions from diesels, we will see a lot more of them.

I am not a Jeep fan but would put it high on the list w/ the diesel option. It's perfect for a offroad suv.

Momrocks

Adventurer
The ultimate vote lies with the wallet. A diesel Wrangler edges close to the ultimate rig with most on this board but the economic viability may not be there. I should begin saving my money now so I can cast my vote in 24 months. A diesel Rubi....schweeeet!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
It seems like a diesel is a good idea. If I didn't already have auto loans for my Harley and for my wifes Subaru I'd almost consider putting myself farther into debt for one. When you look back in history at the little diesel Toyota Land Cruisers and Land Rover Defenders they have been greatly successful, so in a way Jeep is kind of lagging by not having one.

6Pins

Adventurer
They make the CRD in most other markets, just don't offer it here if I recall correctly. I'd be willing to part with the one I have for a diesel version.

Be careful what you ask for. I have CRD Grand Cherokee that I like very much but I do have to say that it is far more complicated than my 98 TJ. While I am building the Grand up and expect to use it for trips, I highly doubt that it will be subjected to the same level of remote backcountry as the TJ as I doubt I can adequately troubleshoot it if it ever decided to stop running. I doubt a diesel JK would be any less complicated.

The new diesels are not like the old diesels because of emissions and that is a shame. They have taken a rather simplistic and efficient engine and gacked it all up so that it supposedly runs cleaner.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Here's the plan for Jeep through 2014:

Extra-Small SUV: This entry which is expected for 2013 will be based on a Fiat Group product, almost certainly the Panda.

Small SUV: This space is currently cluttered with the less-than-dynamic duo, the Patriot and its uglier sibling, the Compass. Both will get some modifications for 2010, but by the end of 2012, both will have been killed in favor of one offering, based on a Fiat Group offering.

Mid-size SUV: The Liberty will be slightly refreshed for 2010 and will be replaced by a Fiat Group-based mid-sizer in 2013.

Wrangler: It appears that the Italians know enough to not mess with the heart of the Jeep brand, the Wrangler. It will get some updates for 2010 and will get more for 2011, when Jeep celebrates its 70th anniversary, but it will otherwise be left alone.

Commander: On the chart Chrysler/Fiat gave us, the timeline for the big-'n'-boxy Commander goes all dotted-line after 2010. Above the broken line is written "International Reallocation" whatever that means exactly.

Grand Cherokee: With the new model coming out around the middle of 2010, there's not much to change, nor much reason to apparently. Even the lux Grand Cherokee will get a Rubicon Trail-capable "Trail Rated" version.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society

haven

Expedition Leader
The Chrysler management team was enthusiastic about Jeep's potential for increased international sales. I think the intent is to replace the VM Motori diesel used in Europe today with a Fiat diesel in Chrysler (300, van) and Jeep (Wrangler, Liberty, Grand Cherokee).

The 2005-06 diesel Liberty for USA was an expensive flop, one that Chrysler can't afford to repeat. Still, if Mahindra has any success selling a diesel pickup in 2010, and diesel fuel prices remain on par with unleaded regular, Chrysler will pay attention.

Chip Haven

alosix

Expedition Leader
Wait, didn't they introduce a diesel liberty a few years ago that flopped?

Where are you getting that these were a flop?

They didn't sell many 'cause they didn't have many on hand. Those and the Bluetec Grands were, and still are, near impossible to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz